• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

"Bye-bye Tucker Carlson!"

ZiprHead

Loony Running The Asylum
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Don't be a dick.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tucker-carlson-advertisers-leave-fox-news-show/

Companies including T-Mobile and Papa John's Pizza are distancing themselves from Tucker Carlson's television show on Fox News after the conservative host's dismissive comments about the Black Lives Matters movement.

The backlash intensified after Carlson on Monday offered an inflammatory take on the nationwide anti-racism demonstrations that have followed the death of George Floyd at the hands of former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin.

"This may be a lot of things, this moment we're living through, but it is definitely not about black lives, and remember that when they come for you, and at this rate, they will," Carlson told viewers on June 8, the first day of Floyd's memorial in his adopted hometown of Houston.

About effing time. Papa John's probably would have doubled down if they hadn't removed the idiot founder.

I can't be arsed to look.

Have the conservatives started (continued) whining about the free market in this case?
Doubtful. The advertising bucks stay with the network regardless, so it doesn't really change anything. After all, Fox News put the graphic on Dow behavior after awful events in African American history. Corporations want to advertise on a network that people with money will watch. It really is disgusting, but that's capitalism for ya.

Have the conservatives started (continued) whining about the free market in this case?
Doubtful. The advertising bucks stay with the network regardless, so it doesn't really change anything. After all, Fox News put the graphic on Dow behavior after awful events in African American history. Corporations want to advertise on a network that people with money will watch. It really is disgusting, but that's capitalism for ya.

Right. Fox still gets the ad dollars and Tucker now has the highest rated cable news show. Well done.

It's pretty totalitarian to want to punish people for holding an opinion, but I guess thought policing is fine if it comes from the left.

if it was about Rachel Maddow instead, the Left would be outraged instead of gleeful.

Right. Fox still gets the ad dollars and Tucker now has the highest rated cable news show. Well done.

A bit off topic, but to me the bolded above is one of the biggest reason this country is so fucking stupid now. Tucker is not news. Hannity is not news. Maddow is not news. These are talk show hosts giving their opinions on matters. All Things Considered, Morning Edition, etc are actual news.

I'm in no way saying that you believe that Tucker is a news anchor, I'm just using your post to make the point.

A bit off topic, but to me the bolded above is one of the biggest reason this country is so fucking stupid now. Tucker is not news. Hannity is not news. Maddow is not news. These are talk show hosts giving their opinions on matters. All Things Considered, Morning Edition, etc are actual news.

I'm in no way saying that you believe that Tucker is a news anchor, I'm just using your post to make the point.

That’s what the ratings list calls that type of show.

It's pretty totalitarian to want to punish people for holding an opinion, but I guess thought policing is fine if it comes from the left.

if it was about Rachel Maddow instead, the Left would be outraged instead of gleeful.

I think this is a mixture of both opinion & free market. Tucker has a right to his opinion and so do the owners of these companies. Pulling ads is not a denial of service to Carlson (or his viewers) as he/they can still purchase products from any of those companies. & I presume the CEO took into consideration the financial impact such a decision may cause (if any) and thought said statement was in the companies best interest.

So you're an apologist for the left? Interesting.

This is free market capitalism. It is totalitarian to expect people to fund what YOU want.
Hypothetical "whataboutisms" reveal more about the conjecturer than reality.

How is a private company exercising their first amendment right ($ = speech) anything like a totalitarian govt? Trump wanting to censor peoples books is totalitarian. Companies pulling ad dollars from the shows of total morons on TV isn't really the same.

If Rachel Maddow said something outrageous enough to get advertisers to drop her, we'd be outraged at Rachel Maddow.

And Tucker isn't being "punished" for holding an "opinion". He's being shunned for being a racist, among other things. I still can't believe these companies waited this long.

How is a private company exercising their first amendment right ($ = speech) anything like a totalitarian govt? Trump wanting to censor peoples books is totalitarian. Companies pulling ad dollars from the shows of total morons on TV isn't really the same.

And Woke capital saying it disapproves of a show will make more people want to watch it.

That’s what the ratings list calls that type of show.

Yeah, and I'm still baffled by it. I think it gives the people who follow those shows a feeling like they're legitimately involved in "politics" and it makes everyone dumber. Sorry for the derail. That's a discussion for another thread.

And Woke capital saying it disapproves of a show will make more people want to watch it.

It's got nothing to do with "woke" but I agree it will make contrarians want to watch it more. But then again, people watching Fox aren't known for being the most intellectual citizenry. It's not totalitarian was my point.

If Rachel Maddow said something outrageous enough to get advertisers to drop her, we'd be outraged at Rachel Maddow.
So you are a sheep that forms his/her opinions based on how advertisers tell you you should think?

And Tucker isn't being "punished" for holding an "opinion". He's being shunned for being a racist, among other things. I still can't believe these companies waited this long.

Being opposed to a political movement that celebrates violent criminals (like Michael Brown) and hates the police is not being "racist".

The effect would be the same. Censorship, even de-facto censorship via corporate pressure, is not good for the free exchange of ideas which is vital for a thriving democracy.

Back
Top Bottom