• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Can Dark Matter convert to Matter?

repoman

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Science Based Atheism
I know that there are a lot of theories about Dark Matter and want to focus on one that predict it to be unknown fundamental particles.

It seems possible that because it has not even been detected (even through a standard particle being converted and a mystery loss of energy) in our accelerators it will take higher energies to convert. Now our accelerators are actually not strong on the scale of the Planck energy which is the highest a particle can be.

Wouldn't the Big Bang have been the time for Dark Matter to have been formed? Or does the model of it fall apart it a large fraction of the mass being or converting to dark matter occur?

Currently what are the highest energy events in the universe and what is that energy in the eV scale? I am sure that is well above the scale of the LHC (I am crunched for time now and can't research it) because we get massive strong cosmic rays that dwarf the LHC.

So the events that make those ultra cosmic rays are more likely to be produce dark matter. But are our theories about these events so tight that dark matter has no room?

ETA: this is wiki about Planck energy. So roughly, Planck energy/ (highest) cosmic ray energy~ Cosmic ray energy/ LHC energy. Lots of physics we can't tweak directly :(

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planck_energy

Last edited:
Dark matter is a place holder. We don't have a clue what it is, if it is. What we know is things like galactic rotation and other observations are not explained by the standard model unless there is some source of gravitation on large scales that we haven't yet observed. There are two possibilities, either the standard model is incomplete for large scales or there is some source of gravitation we haven't detected. The first case would require a model to supersede relativity. The second case could be almost anything and almost everything has been suggested. It seems that only the most exotic suggestions are getting into the popular press.

So you think that the idea of new (to us) fundamental particles accounting for all this mass is unlikely? To me if they could only form/convert during the Big Bang energies (and maybe fleetingly now even during violent events) it may be that we won't be able to pin them down.

Could you say that dark matter (if it exists) and ordinary matter are frozen into place of being their respective types because the energies are not high enough currently to interconvert?

BTW, I did a calculation of the Planck Energy and compared it to our world. A particle with it would have the same energy as lifting a 22.5 metric ton object from sea level to the height of Mount Everest.

Planck Energy = 1.956*10^9 Joules
E(potential) = Eplanck = mgh

Everest = 8,848 meters
Mass = 22,557 kg = 22.5 metric tons.

No. I don't think it is unlikely. I am in the same position as the actual scientists who have research grants and who are trying to figure it out except that I don't have their ability. It could be almost anything and they are playing with possibilities - I just think it is a disservice to science that the popular media seems to only focus on the real exotic ideas.

There was one paper published last year where an astronomer had found a large halo of hot ionized gas around all the active galaxies he observed. Being a hot ionized gas it could only be observed at a specific wavelength. His calculations showed that there could have been sufficient mass in the halo to account for the galactic rotation "anomaly". He asked if possibly all galaxies had such halos but they were not observable around normal galaxies since they wouldn't have the heating from the galactic cores as in the active galaxies.

There are a lot of possibilities. We are only beginning to try to figure it out. - We have only very recently even found that there was a problem that needed to be figured out.

I am even holding out that it may be a problem with the standard model in the limits. However, if this is the case then we will most likely spend many decades or even centuries adding "epicycles" to the current model so that it accounts for observations. This raises the question of if the initial inflationary period and "dark energy" are "epicycles".

Last edited:
Troubling. How can such explain evidence universe is speeding separation in our neck of the woods?
As the multiverse splits into additional worldlines, the multiverse mass increases, although locally the effects are balanced out as G (the local gravitational constant) varies with total mass of the multiverse.

Where there is mass, more mass is created- it's a runaway creation of mass thing. So we end up with more local multiverse mass over time, which causes the event horizon of our multiverse black hole to slowly get closer.... :eek:

Uh, I thought dark matter is matter. No wait, it's anti-matter that is matter. So, not only is matter, matter (duh), but anti-matter is matter. Dark matter isn't matter?

The question as written in the thread title implies that dark matter isn't matter. Maybe I'm misreading the intention. Could the question be, can dark matter convert to non-dark matter. Thus, can matter of one kind (dark matter) convert to another kind of matter (non-dark matter).

I ain't know. Just trying to make sense if it.

Am I right in thinking that it is only energy level that is needed for particle to be able to be produced and forces to be "unified"?

So according to wiki, the protons in the LHC are going 0.999999991 c. If I calculated right a Planck Energy proton would be going at 0.(38 9s in a row)7 c or 0.999999999999999999999999999999999999997 c.

Again a lot of physics can happen that maybe we can never touch. Am I wrong? Could we ever get above the strongest recorded cosmic ray energies which interestingly about halfway between LHC and Planck energy on the magnitude scale?

Some proposed dark-matter candidates are particles that can indeed produce "ordinary" matter. They do so by two of them running into each other and annihilating. There are various attempts to detect the resulting annihilation radiation, radiation like very energetic gamma rays or neutrinos.

Back
Top Bottom