• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Can someone explain the pricing of digital movies?

As for your claim about 720p vs 1080p, that is a function of screen size and distance to the screen. To claim that the difference is not noticeable under all cases is simply false.
I think one problem we have is the actual comparison, seeing an actual 720p vs an actual 1080p, which I believe is only possible via Blu-Ray as no one actually broadcasts (except OTA?) in 720p / 1080p due to compression of signals. Kind of why 4k is silly, because no one streams true HD.

OTA broadcasts are 1080i max. No 1080p OTA broadcasts...yet.

I think one problem we have is the actual comparison, seeing an actual 720p vs an actual 1080p, which I believe is only possible via Blu-Ray as no one actually broadcasts (except OTA?) in 720p / 1080p due to compression of signals. Kind of why 4k is silly, because no one streams true HD.

OTA broadcasts are 1080i max. No 1080p OTA broadcasts...yet.
I suppose some would say 720p max. Regardless, the problem is the available signals to actually judge between the two screens are hard to come by.

In fact, I have to wonder if color display and accuracy of dark colors/blacks would have a notably higher impact on viewing experience verses the resolution. (720p v 1080p) Is an apples to apples comparison even possible?

[...]
and to claim you any of the millions of average shlubs looking at buying either the blue ray or the digital HD copy of captain america off amazon can tell the difference (or indeed have the equipment and setup required to physically capable of telling the difference in the first place) is not only false but blatantly disingenuous.

Not really. Like many people, I sometimes watch Blu-Ray disks on my computer monitor, which is largish and only a couple of feet from my head, so 720p vs 1080p is quite noticeable. Many people have large TV screens, and if they are sitting close enough, the difference is discernible.

http://carltonbale.com/1080p-does-matter/

resolution_chart.png

So for a 50" screen, the benefits of 1080p start to become noticeable at around 10' and you get the full benefit at around 6'. Beyond 15' on a 50" screen, anything above 480p is a waste.

Back
Top Bottom