• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Can taking walks replace going to gym?

Tammuz

Basic Beliefs
Skepticism
I really, really hate going to gym. It is just so boring. However, I know that I need exercise. I really do like going for walks. Typically I go off a metro station earlier than what would be optimal for me when going home from my job, and on Sundays I typically take longer walks. I think why walk today was 5 kilometers.

Could this replace the need for going to gym? Is it sufficient exercise?

What exactly is necessary to get sufficient exercise?

Walking is a good way to stay fit, especially if you add some hills to the walk. You sound like you prefer walking so I'd walk if I were you. You can hit muscle groups at home anytime you want without the need of fancy machines and having to take a drive. But for basic fitness walking is the best bet, especially if you add some intensity like hills or varying the pace.

What are your goals?

If you want to lose weight the key is long-term changes to your diet, and whether you walk or go to the gym it won't make much difference - just make sure you do one of the two.

What I would say is that routine muscular exercise is just as important as cardio, so make sure you're getting that whichever way you go.

For my part, most of my exercise comes from walking daily and routine chores around the house, but I maintain a good weight because my eating habits are pretty much perfect. I do have a gym membership, but that's mostly for weights and keeping active in the winter.

If you hate going to the gym but like taking walks, you should walk. Walking will not replace going to the gym. The gym has a bunch of specialized equipment that makes it easier to train physically. However, any activity that you enjoy doing is a fine replacement for not going to the gym at all.

If you want to add gym-like benefits to the walks, try adding a weighted vest or figuring out some places to jog or run as well as walk. To get gym-similar strength benefits, supplement your walks with exercises such as pushups, squats, etc., or make time to do these during commercial breaks on TV programs you like. Also, don't forget to stretch! If you don't stretch around the time you exercise, try adding a few stretches to your morning or evening routine.

The Benefits of Rucking

Despite my aversion to cardio, I still did it because I knew it was good for me. But I usually bellyached about it. That is until I discovered a type of cardio work that I don’t despise and actually enjoy and look forward to doing. A type of cardio that has a bunch of other benefits besides heart health to boot.What is this wonder exercise?

Why rucking, of course...

Rucking is simple. So simple, it’s stupid.

Get a backpack.

Put some weight in said backpack.

Put on the backpack.

Start walking.

That’s it...

The Benefits of Rucking

Despite my aversion to cardio, I still did it because I knew it was good for me. But I usually bellyached about it. That is until I discovered a type of cardio work that I don’t despise and actually enjoy and look forward to doing. A type of cardio that has a bunch of other benefits besides heart health to boot.What is this wonder exercise?

Why rucking, of course...

Rucking is simple. So simple, it’s stupid.

Get a backpack.

Put some weight in said backpack.

Put on the backpack.

Start walking.

That’s it...

Alternately, make that weight have some value: Take a hike!

Yesterday was a mountain peak nearly 5 miles in and 3,200' above the trailhead, combined with an overlook that's 1.5 miles in and 1,000' above the trailhead. (Shared trailhead, but only a few hundred feet of the trail is shared.)

I ran out of phone power part way through so I didn't get the cardio data from my Fitbit (I'm sure it actually recorded it, but when I try to look at the details the website barfs) but it's saying I'm about 2,400 calories above normal for the day. (And I suspect it's a bit of an undercount because there's no way to enter the weight of the pack you're carrying.))

Walking for 30 minutes 2 or 3 rimes a day every day can go a long way. It will maintain aerobic capacity. Especially with a few hills. Climbing straors during the day works dome through the day.

A stationary bike is good along with a simple step platform. If your job and life is sedentary, no activity, you need something to maintain muscle mass. That requires weights or resistance exercise.

Being not working right now in my 60s if I do mot exercise every day after a week or two I will deteriorate.

Boring is being bedridden for months after heart failure....

And it's not only about maintaining muscle. Bones need to work or they weaken and atrophy. Picking up weight, lifting, pushing, any type of resistance training is good for the bones as well as the muscle. The bones need it too.

I do not think so. S you get older you have to work at maintaining muscle mass and aerobic conditioning.

Taking walks and climbing stairs during the day does help. Getting a low cost exercise bike is a good investment. You can get your heart and pulse rate up.

Back
Top Bottom