• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Chicago Declaration: No Safe Spaces, No Trigger Warnings

JonA

Basic Beliefs
Agnostic Theism
http://www.oregonlive.com/education/index.ssf/2016/08/university_of_chicago_kicks_po.html

Students at the University of Chicago are being warned (though those of us who actually like learning might call it an upsell) that the college does not do trigger warnings, safe spaces, or cancel invitations to controversial speakers and tells prospective students to expect ideas being challenged as part of their higher ed experience.

Excellent! :)

So, they have issued a trigger warning that there will be no trigger warnings?

http://www.oregonlive.com/education/index.ssf/2016/08/university_of_chicago_kicks_po.html

Students at the University of Chicago are being warned (though those of us who actually like learning might call it an upsell) that the college does not do trigger warnings, safe spaces, or cancel invitations to controversial speakers and tells prospective students to expect ideas being challenged as part of their higher ed experience.

Whether it's a warning or not depends on who's reading it.

I see it as a selling point - something that would make me want to go there, not scare me away.

Whether it's a warning or not depends on who's reading it.

I see it as a selling point - something that would make me want to go there, not scare me away.

Hard to believe or accept that it has come to this, but I absolutely agree. That this would be rare enough as to become a selling point is more than a little concerning for free thought.

Wait, I thought colleges are evil institutions where SJWs prey on college students.

Which is pretty much the definition of a description.

Which is pretty much the definition of... wait, 'description' was never even mentioned. FOUL!

???

"Description" is what you get when you water down the meaning of "trigger warning" to the point that it's synonymous with "telling folks what's about to happen".

Words have meaning and the letter by the college doesn't represent a trigger warning.

Which is pretty much the definition of... wait, 'description' was never even mentioned. FOUL!

???

"Description" is what you get when you water down the meaning of "trigger warning" to the point that it's synonymous with "telling folks what's about to happen".

Words have meaning and the letter by the college doesn't represent a trigger warning.

Yeah, watering down and broadening definitions to the point where the words are meaningless is the favorite past-time of the intellectually dishonest seeking to create false equivalences.

The letter is a "warning" in the broadest sense and that is the sole similarity with "trigger warnings". It isn't a meaningful similarity since no one has ever objected to trigger warnings simply because they object to all warnings of any kind.

Trigger warnings are warnings about very specific pieces of writing/art. The UofC warning was not, but rather warned them that they would not get any specific warnings and thus they could encounter something unpleasant at any unexpected moment and that the University views this as something inherent and unavoidable to real education.

Trigger warnings are designed so that the pathetically weak of mind can retreat from the material without experiencing unpleasant thought or emotion. The UofC warning was designed to inform students they would not be able to do this and that in fact students are expected to engage in intellectual exchanges that could make them uncomfortable.

IOW, in every meaningful way and in every feature about trigger warnings that some find objectionable, the UofC warning is the exact opposite.

The amazing evidence that this is actually a real problem is an anecdote from Jerry Seinfeld about his 14 yo daughter.

Refrain from trying to intimidate or harass others based on petty prejudices and you will have no problem with this minor phenomena called "political correctness".

It is incredibly easy to go to any university and avoid it totally.

The amazing evidence that this is actually a real problem is an anecdote from Jerry Seinfeld about his 14 yo daughter.

Refrain from trying to intimidate or harass others based on petty prejudices and you will have no problem with this minor phenomena called "political correctness".

It is incredibly easy to go to any university and avoid it totally.

Huh?

The letter was less likely prompted by the Seinfeld bit quoted in the article and more likely prompted by the trend of late for whiny - typically left-leaning - college brats to demand their universities shield them from everything they don't like and inflict censorship on anyone who doesn't 'think' like they do.

And in keeping with this, I'm absolutely certain that the administrative team over at UC is very open to having all policies and regulations challenged and debated by the student body, and will not hide from answering them oh wait.

And in keeping with this, I'm absolutely certain that the administrative team over at UC is very open to having all policies and regulations challenged and debated by the student body, and will not hide from answering them oh wait.

Which was almost entirely because of what he was saying and had nothing to do with:

Before the rally Kissinger said he entered the building under the guise of official business, and then propped open a locked door ...

:rolleyes:

Which was almost entirely because of what he was saying and had nothing to do with:

Before the rally Kissinger said he entered the building under the guise of official business, and then propped open a locked door ...

He propped open a locked door to facilitate a peaceful exercise of free speech.

You missed the point. Administrators create "safe spaces" for themselves all the time. Students often have to barge in and protest precisely because they're often so egregious about refusing to leave those spaces in order to actually discuss the University itself with the students. The fact that they were hostile to even this shows clear hypocrisy.

You missed the point. Administrators create "safe spaces" for themselves all the time. Students often have to barge in and protest precisely because they're often so egregious about refusing to leave those spaces in order to actually discuss the University itself with the students. The fact that they were hostile to even this shows clear hypocrisy.

Hmm, I thought it was the administrator's job to administrate.

Though I suppose if they had policies against criticizing their administration (like some websites I know) they wouldn't exactly be living up to their stated ideals.

OK, settle down folks, it was just a joke.

But, while I am here...

???

I know conservatives can be humor impaired, so let me break down the initial joke I made, as well as the dry joke that is encapsulated by "pretty much the meaning of". First, we need to know what "trigger warning" means. Ronburgandy gets the general meaning right in the quote below, but gets one thing wrong, which I will address later in this post. A "trigger warning" is a statement issued before being exposed to words, images, or ideas, which warns of potentially stress inducing material included therein. The UofC issued a statement warning students of the University that "they can expect to be exposed to ideas that make them uncomfortable". They are not referring to physical comfort when they say "uncomfortable", but rather about mental or emotional stress. Thus they have issued a "trigger warning" that potential students of their University may encounter stress inducing words, images, or ideas if they attend the University without further warning, giving those potential students the chance they need to avoid such stress by not attending that University. It is very much a "trigger warning that there will be no trigger warnings", but the fact that I had to explain it to you now removes the humor from the statement.

On to "pretty much the meaning of" jokes. In order to slip this small amount of dry humor into a conversation, the person to whom you are responding (referred to as the 'straight man') has to use the word, or short phrase, on which you are about to base your joke. Further, its use is limited to situations where the straight man is explaining that the word, or short phrase, should not be used in a specific context, because the context involves 'X'. The person then unleashes the joke, like a carefully laid trap, ensnaring the straight man with the observation that the context explained by the straight man is pretty much the definition of 'X'. Once again, this joke is made considerably less funny by having to explain it to the humor impaired, however, it is a very dry joke, so guffaws of laughter are not expected to begin with. On the other hand, your subsequent attempt to wield this joke falls flat, because I never used the word "description", nor tried to explain that the word did not apply to the conversation because of context.

???

Yeah, watering down and broadening definitions to the point where the words are meaningless is the favorite past-time of the intellectually dishonest seeking to create false equivalences.

The letter is a "warning" in the broadest sense and that is the sole similarity with "trigger warnings". It isn't a meaningful similarity since no one has ever objected to trigger warnings simply because they object to all warnings of any kind.

Trigger warnings are warnings about very specific pieces of writing/art. The UofC warning was not, but rather warned them that they would not get any specific warnings and thus they could encounter something unpleasant at any unexpected moment and that the University views this as something inherent and unavoidable to real education.

Trigger warnings are designed so that the pathetically weak of mind can retreat from the material without experiencing unpleasant thought or emotion. The UofC warning was designed to inform students they would not be able to do this and that in fact students are expected to engage in intellectual exchanges that could make them uncomfortable.

IOW, in every meaningful way and in every feature about trigger warnings that some find objectionable, the UofC warning is the exact opposite.

You were right until you drug you ideology into things with the bolded statement above. Trigger warnings are generally there to warn people who suffer from PTSD that what they are about to encounter might trigger the symptoms of their disorder. They are also often used to warn parents that they are about to encounter material that may be stressful to young children, which wouldn't actually apply in this case, but is true nonetheless. I am willing to agree, however, that sometimes trigger warnings are over used, and such over use can be detrimental to obtaining some forms of education in a University setting. This is more of an argument for applying them more cautiously, rather than an argument that they should be dispensed with altogether.

Back
Top Bottom