• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Chimp Violence Doesn't Come from Humans-

Potoooooooo

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
http://www.livescience.com/47885-chimpanzee-aggression-evolution.html

For years, anthropologists have watched wild chimpanzees "go ape" and attack each other in coordinated assaults. But until now, scientists were unsure whether interactions with humans had brought on this violent behavior or if it was part of the apes' basic nature.
A new, 54-year study suggests this coordinated aggression is innate to chimpanzees, and is not linked to human interference.
"Violence is a natural part of life for chimpanzees," Michael Wilson, the study's lead researcher and an associate professor of anthropology at the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis, told Live Science in an email. "They don't need to be fed bananas to kill each other."

Just read this on the BBC. Doesn't surprise me.
We're killer apes with a veneer of civilization.

We share a common ancestor with the chimps, but we also share one with the bonobos.

It takes about seven generations, with careful selection, to breed the aggressiveness out of certain foxes.

If women had absolute power over who they bred with we could probably do the same thing with humans.

Are you assuming that women prefer non-aggressive males? I'm not altogether sure that's a safe bet.

I think he's saying that if women wanted non-aggressive males, they could make that happen in short order.

They don't, so being a bad boy is still a successful evolutionary strategy.

Are you assuming that women prefer non-aggressive males? I'm not altogether sure that's a safe bet.

I think he's saying that if women wanted non-aggressive males, they could make that happen in short order.

They don't, so being a bad boy is still a successful evolutionary strategy.

What you say is good. Mine was a bit tongue in cheek.

Humans can hide aggressive natures better than foxes.

And I think a lot of the worst become that way by circumstance.

Is it just coincidence that both Hitler and Stalin suffered horrible physical abuse as children?

We share a common ancestor with the chimps, but we also share one with the bonobos.
We seem to take after the chimp side of the family... :D

It takes about seven generations, with careful selection, to breed the aggressiveness out of certain foxes.
In some cases a single cull seems able to affect durable changes.
A primatologist studying baboons once described a troop where the more aggressive males managed to kill themselves off during a rabies epidemic. The troop thereafter exhibited significantly less aggression and the pacific trait seemed to be holding.
The episode was filmed in a nature documentary and can probably be found online somewhere.

The troop thereafter exhibited significantly less aggression and the pacific trait seemed to be holding.
The episode was filmed in a nature documentary and can probably be found online somewhere.
I wonder how well that troop will manage when predators occupy their territory.

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VD5xqHh8Hxc[/YOUTUBE]

The troop thereafter exhibited significantly less aggression and the pacific trait seemed to be holding.
I wonder how well that troop will manage when predators occupy their territory.

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VD5xqHh8Hxc[/YOUTUBE]

another interesting baboon fact. The Hamadryas baboon gets it's name from the Hamadryads (tree nymphs) of Greek Mythology
Thought one would be hard pressed to see any similarities
Hamadryad
hamadryad_by_mattiasfahlberg-d6th23w.jpg

Hamadryas baboon
59675801.HamadryasBaboon_DSC019302.jpg

If that is correct about Hitler and Stalin, then investing in NSPCC and similar would seem to be incredible value for money!

Back
Top Bottom