• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Chomsky on Conspiracy Theories

Perspicuo

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Empiricist, ergo agnostic

I find Noam Chomsky's idea on this subject very similar to mine.
The question is, Is he eavesdropping on me? :eek:

;)

Point One: There really are conspiracies. He uses the way the US was laid out after WWII to maximize the use of oil cars and rubber. He is not claiming the people who did it thought they were causing great harm, only that it was carefully planned by a few, a conspiracy.

Point Two: Looking for something below the surface that is REALLY running things is usually a pathology coming from not liking the way things are so a hidden cause is sought.

Point Three: When you look at things closely what you usually see is just the normal working of institutional structures. What the oil and car and rubber executives were doing was working under the institutional goal of maximizing profits.

Point Four: Accurate conspiracy theories are helpful and inaccurate conspiracy theories are not.

Damn. So Chomsky didn't have a joint suicide pact with Gould. Damn.

We know. Chomsky thinks your ideas about the so-called "evolution of language" are really about the "evolution of the use of language for communication".

And his ideas are better.

How dare he?

Point One: There really are conspiracies. He uses the way the US was laid out after WWII to maximize the use of oil cars and rubber. He is not claiming the people who did it thought they were causing great harm, only that it was carefully planned by a few, a conspiracy.

Point Two: Looking for something below the surface that is REALLY running things is usually a pathology coming from not liking the way things are so a hidden cause is sought.

Point Three: When you look at things closely what you usually see is just the normal working of institutional structures. What the oil and car and rubber executives were doing was working under the institutional goal of maximizing profits.

Point Four: Accurate conspiracy theories are helpful and inaccurate conspiracy theories are not.
Nicely put. Let me just add that because Guy Fawkes and some buddies conspired to blow up the British parliament, it is quite reasonable to consider that JFK was killed by Elvis Presley, an Illuminati reptilian from the inside of the hollow Earth, whose flying saucer controlled the 911 planes because they were close to uncovering the truth about chemtrails.

Peez

Of course there are conspiracies - AKA collusions that aren't revealed to the general public.

That doesn't mean everything unexplained is part of a conspiracy.

And if there is a conspiracy, then the chances are it won't make a jot of difference to an average person's life.

Don't forget about Operation Northwoods. Even though the Pentagon nver instituted it is chilling they would consider it. And if they had instituted it I doubt they would tell years later, thus a conspiracy.

Back
Top Bottom