• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Christian Rants

Having no effect, yes but I think from my POV you are telling spinning tales about "Endless Christian invention". Each to his own I suppose?

Having no effect, yes but I think from my POV you are telling spinning tales about "Endless Christian invention". Each to his own I suppose?

The term is stream of consciousness. I hear it from Christians around me, prechers whi come here, and from TV preachers.

Pick a starting point in the bible and creatively ramble on and invent without filtering. It is the basis of Christianity. There are a handful of Jesus sound bites in the gospels. From that flows and endless stream of theology. You do it yourself. God says this, gad wants that, Jesus says this, Jesus wants that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stream_of_consciousness

In literary criticism, stream of consciousness is a narrative mode or method that attempts "to depict the multitudinous thoughts and feelings which pass through the mind" of a narrator.[1] The term was coined by Alexander Bain in 1855 in the first edition of The Senses and the Intellect, when he wrote, "The concurrence of Sensations in one common stream of consciousness (on the same cerebral highway) enables those of different senses to be associated as readily as the sensations of the same sense" (p. 359).[2] But it is commonly credited to William James who used it in 1890 in his The Principles of Psychology. In 1918 the novelist May Sinclair (1863–1946) first applied the term stream of consciousness, in a literary context, when discussing Dorothy Richardson's (1873–1957) novels. Pointed Roofs (1915), the first work in Richardson's series of 13 semi-autobiographical novels titled Pilgrimage,[3] is the first complete stream of consciousness novel published in English. However, in 1934, Richardson comments that "Proust, James Joyce, Virginia Woolf & D.R. ... were all using 'the new method', though very differently, simultaneously".[4] There were, however, many earlier precursors and the technique is still used by contemporary writers.

The term is stream of consciousness. I hear it from Christians around me, prechers whi come here, and from TV preachers.

Pick a starting point in the bible and creatively ramble on and invent without filtering. It is the basis of Christianity. There are a handful of Jesus sound bites in the gospels. From that flows and endless stream of theology. You do it yourself. God says this, gad wants that, Jesus says this, Jesus wants that.

It is not hard to conclude what GOD wants, from the term COMMANDMENTS for example, among other parts or verses in the bible.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stream_of_consciousness

In literary criticism, stream of consciousness is a narrative mode or method that attempts "to depict the multitudinous thoughts and feelings which pass through the mind" of a narrator.[1] The term was coined by Alexander Bain in 1855 in the first edition of The Senses and the Intellect, when he wrote, "The concurrence of Sensations in one common stream of consciousness (on the same cerebral highway) enables those of different senses to be associated as readily as the sensations of the same sense" (p. 359).[2] But it is commonly credited to William James who used it in 1890 in his The Principles of Psychology. In 1918 the novelist May Sinclair (1863–1946) first applied the term stream of consciousness, in a literary context, when discussing Dorothy Richardson's (1873–1957) novels. Pointed Roofs (1915), the first work in Richardson's series of 13 semi-autobiographical novels titled Pilgrimage,[3] is the first complete stream of consciousness novel published in English. However, in 1934, Richardson comments that "Proust, James Joyce, Virginia Woolf & D.R. ... were all using 'the new method', though very differently, simultaneously".[4] There were, however, many earlier precursors and the technique is still used by contemporary writers.

Anyhow.. thank you for bringing up the stream-of-consciousness, I was not familiar with this term. Could pretty much fits anyone across the board (not solely to the religious) so far as I gather. Besides, it won't be a useful claim against Christians, when using the term stream-of-consciousness. Especially if some atheists argue the faultiness of theists, who are said to be taking the bible "literally".

It is not hard to conclude what GOD wants, from the term COMMANDMENTS for example, among other parts or verses in the bible.

QED you bare demonstrating.

Deducing what god wants in Christianity and Islam has been the source of major wars and conflicts for many centuries. Therein lies the problem with Christianity based on an often moral ambiguous set of texts written across centuries by different groups generally called Hebrews.

Until the Reformation the RCC said the pope is the one and only go between between god and man. His authority is delegated to priests. To commune with h=god you need a priest in the mix to interpret scripture.

Along comes Luther and the Reformation. Luther says to hell with the pope, anybody can interpret scripture and commune directly with god.

Hence the fractured and contentious sects It was ugly with legal disputes over property. The conservatives aligned with an African anti gay group.

Maybe 15 years ago I was invited to a meeting of a small Evangelical group who had been meeting since the 70s. There were about 20 adults and kids. Musicians and singing of course. Laying of hands for healing. A deep belief in faith healing.

When the spirit moved somebody they would read scripture and interpret. It was my impression of what early Christians were like.

A woman had a vision. She described it and people offered interpretations.

The same couple invited me to be a judge at a debate ornament for Christian homeschooling. At the national level they competed for scholarships. I was one of many judges.

For two days I listened to debate on topics between two people and short dissertations by individuals. All of interspersed with interpretation from scripture to make points.

I have had long experience with various Christians along with going to RCC schools.

Back
Top Bottom