• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Christianity: Friend or foe to science?

Is this the so-called “fraudulent manipulation of data” that this character is talkng about? Because if it is, as you can see, there was no fraud. If it is something else, please summarize his claim for us. I have no intention of wasting my time watching that video, and I suspect others here will feel the same. In any case, when linking ANY video, it’s pretty good practice to summarize what it’s about, becuase lots of people (like me) rarely if ever watch internet videos on any topic. I much prefer to read, preferably books.

Or is it the baboon bone? Please tell us what it is.

Got a transcirpt of his nonsense?

I put it through a transcriber:

When it comes to so-called missing links between apes and humans, there's one that stands head and hairy shoulders above the rest -- and I mean that figuratively because it was speculated to only be a little over 3 ft tall when alive. I'm referring to none other than Australopithecus afarensis, my friend and yours, Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds.

Well that's where the name came from but it's just plain Lucy to you and me and it's got some 'splaining because it ain't all it's cracked up to be. And I mean that literally. First of all this highfalutin technical name simply means "southern ape from the afar region" which is about the only thing they say that's accurate when it comes to the supposed hirsute hominid as all kinds of creative and fanciful things happen along the way to make Lucy into the ultimate Missing Link.

But before I go there, let's just take a quick look at how Lucy is often depicted. Here you go [shows a photo of 3d model], one right from a museum right there. Another [an illustration] right from a textbook... wow! look at her smiling and walking just like you and me! Now did someone snap a photo of Lucy in the gang back then? I mean, is this how they found Lucy, walking around waving at him with a cute little smirk? Of course not. So then how did this artist come up with this rendering? Well who knows exactly?

But let me tell you how it all started. Way back in 1974 paleoanthropologist Donald Johansson and his team discovered Lucy in the afar region of Ethiopia -- or more accurately I should say they discovered less than 30% of Lucy's fossilized bones. That's right, 70% of Lucy GONE, not found. Well wait a second then, what specific bones were found that convinced some scientist that Lucy walked upright? It must be at least the feet and the hips, right? Indeed, my friends, you're so right, you're so smart, so let's take a look at the feet and the hips. Now the main evidence supporting the belief that this Southern ape walked upright is that they found... now get this!... human Footprints in Tanzania, Africa, in 1978. Now you heard that right! Four years after, and hundreds of miles away from where Lucy was found, they found human footprints, which of course means they must have been Lucy's. Huh? Not really convincing, especially when you consider the bones of Lucy that they DID find, did not include foot bones. WHAT?! Yeah, no foot bones, as in zero zilch nada none zippo! So if you don't have Lucy's foot bones how do you know the human footprints hundreds of miles away were Lucy's?

Well maybe it's because they found other foot fossils they claim to be from Lucy's relatives. Only problem there, is the toes were more curved than a chimpanzee. That means the actual fossil evidence shows Lucy's family could not have made the human footprints. I don't know call us science deniers if that makes you feel better, but if the shoe fits... I mean if the glove doesn't fit you... nope, I mean if the bones don't fit... well, whatever.

Anyway, what about the hip? That's really going to prove Lucy walked upright like our rendering depicts, right? Well you're going to love this part of the story, but before I go there I got to throw two more facts at you for color and clarity.

Fact 1: After 40 years of research Swiss scientists discovered something very surprising about Lucy. She ain't a she! He's a he! Or like they might say in California, "Lucy's a dude, bro!" So, uh, question... how in the world did the earlier nearly infallible scientists who were proclaiming Lucy as the unmistakable irrefutable Missing Link miss THIS?! I mean, this was pre-2020 and everybody knew the difference between men and women back then! Oops, probably shouldn't have said that!

Fact "dos": After making this discovery, scientists suggested a new name for Lucy. They suggested Lucifer. I am not kidding! And quite honestly it's fitting because this set of bones has been used to lie to more people than just about any other in recent decades.

Now back to the great story that I call The Hip Bone Manipulator. DJ said these very words about Lucy's hipbone after he discovered it: "Superficially her hip resembled a chimpanzee's which meant that Lucy couldn't possibly have walked like a modern human." Yeah I know he said "her" but that's before he knew "she" was a he... er, uh, very confusing. Anyway if Lucifer's hips flared out like a chimp making it so that it couldn't walk upright, what happened to change the hips so that what you see in museums and publications look like human hips? Man, you guys asked the best questions! And here's the answer. Owen Lovejoy, an anthropologist, made a copy of the hipbones in plaster and then (and I quote), "Cut the damaged pieces out and put them back together the way they were before Lucy died."

He did what now?! Like I said, you're going to love this part of the story! He cut and put them back together. Now how did he know that's the way the hip was before Lucy died? I mean why did he take a hip that, quote, "resembled a chimpanzee's" and then rearrange... I mean literally saw, cut and reconstruct things to make it appear like a human hip? Well, that I'll leave for you to contemplate. But at least we now know that the foundation of the artist rendering of AL 288-1, nicknamed Lucy, aka Lucifer the ape-like beast, is completely unfounded because there's no real evidence that he, she, it, whatever the preferred pronoun might be, walked upright (probably shouldn't have said that either).

Anyway the point is this manufactured Missing Link, this unfounded depiction of Lucifer walking upright and smiling, this suspicious reconstruction of the hip, this incomplete bag of bones with no feet, and this embarrassing misgendering mistake, pretty much demonstrate the claim that Lucy is the real deal has been (humanly speaking) debunked! Adios!

So, yes, I did counter the very first thing he said. The very first clause of his very first sentence.
The few words you managed to critique of a mere sentence, is as far as you're willing to go (which I can accept). I mean with the little you were critiquely inputting as a counter to very few words... where do you "counter" the explanation (the whole video ) that "fraudulent manipulation of data" was used to create the false appearance of the Australopithecus named Lucy?
You should have made the argument for "fraudulent manipulation of data" yourself.

Think a little and show your work. Don't shift the burden to other people.

Got a transcirpt of his nonsense?

I put it through a transcriber:

When it comes to so-called missing links between apes and humans, there's one that stands head and hairy shoulders above the rest -- and I mean that figuratively because it was speculated to only be a little over 3 ft tall when alive. I'm referring to none other than Australopithecus afarensis, my friend and yours, Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds.

Well that's where the name came from but it's just plain Lucy to you and me and it's got some 'splaining because it ain't all it's cracked up to be. And I mean that literally. First of all this highfalutin technical name simply means "southern ape from the afar region" which is about the only thing they say that's accurate when it comes to the supposed hirsute hominid as all kinds of creative and fanciful things happen along the way to make Lucy into the ultimate Missing Link.

But before I go there, let's just take a quick look at how Lucy is often depicted. Here you go [shows a photo of 3d model], one right from a museum right there. Another [an illustration] right from a textbook... wow! look at her smiling and walking just like you and me! Now did someone snap a photo of Lucy in the gang back then? I mean, is this how they found Lucy, walking around waving at him with a cute little smirk? Of course not. So then how did this artist come up with this rendering? Well who knows exactly?

But let me tell you how it all started. Way back in 1974 paleoanthropologist Donald Johansson and his team discovered Lucy in the afar region of Ethiopia -- or more accurately I should say they discovered less than 30% of Lucy's fossilized bones. That's right, 70% of Lucy GONE, not found. Well wait a second then, what specific bones were found that convinced some scientist that Lucy walked upright? It must be at least the feet and the hips, right? Indeed, my friends, you're so right, you're so smart, so let's take a look at the feet and the hips. Now the main evidence supporting the belief that this Southern ape walked upright is that they found... now get this!... human Footprints in Tanzania, Africa, in 1978. Now you heard that right! Four years after, and hundreds of miles away from where Lucy was found, they found human footprints, which of course means they must have been Lucy's. Huh? Not really convincing, especially when you consider the bones of Lucy that they DID find, did not include foot bones. WHAT?! Yeah, no foot bones, as in zero zilch nada none zippo! So if you don't have Lucy's foot bones how do you know the human footprints hundreds of miles away were Lucy's?

Well maybe it's because they found other foot fossils they claim to be from Lucy's relatives. Only problem there, is the toes were more curved than a chimpanzee. That means the actual fossil evidence shows Lucy's family could not have made the human footprints. I don't know call us science deniers if that makes you feel better, but if the shoe fits... I mean if the glove doesn't fit you... nope, I mean if the bones don't fit... well, whatever.

Anyway, what about the hip? That's really going to prove Lucy walked upright like our rendering depicts, right? Well you're going to love this part of the story, but before I go there I got to throw two more facts at you for color and clarity.

Fact 1: After 40 years of research Swiss scientists discovered something very surprising about Lucy. She ain't a she! He's a he! Or like they might say in California, "Lucy's a dude, bro!" So, uh, question... how in the world did the earlier nearly infallible scientists who were proclaiming Lucy as the unmistakable irrefutable Missing Link miss THIS?! I mean, this was pre-2020 and everybody knew the difference between men and women back then! Oops, probably shouldn't have said that!

Fact "dos": After making this discovery, scientists suggested a new name for Lucy. They suggested Lucifer. I am not kidding! And quite honestly it's fitting because this set of bones has been used to lie to more people than just about any other in recent decades.

Now back to the great story that I call The Hip Bone Manipulator. DJ said these very words about Lucy's hipbone after he discovered it: "Superficially her hip resembled a chimpanzee's which meant that Lucy couldn't possibly have walked like a modern human." Yeah I know he said "her" but that's before he knew "she" was a he... er, uh, very confusing. Anyway if Lucifer's hips flared out like a chimp making it so that it couldn't walk upright, what happened to change the hips so that what you see in museums and publications look like human hips? Man, you guys asked the best questions! And here's the answer. Owen Lovejoy, an anthropologist, made a copy of the hipbones in plaster and then (and I quote), "Cut the damaged pieces out and put them back together the way they were before Lucy died."

He did what now?! Like I said, you're going to love this part of the story! He cut and put them back together. Now how did he know that's the way the hip was before Lucy died? I mean why did he take a hip that, quote, "resembled a chimpanzee's" and then rearrange... I mean literally saw, cut and reconstruct things to make it appear like a human hip? Well, that I'll leave for you to contemplate. But at least we now know that the foundation of the artist rendering of AL 288-1, nicknamed Lucy, aka Lucifer the ape-like beast, is completely unfounded because there's no real evidence that he, she, it, whatever the preferred pronoun might be, walked upright (probably shouldn't have said that either).

Anyway the point is this manufactured Missing Link, this unfounded depiction of Lucifer walking upright and smiling, this suspicious reconstruction of the hip, this incomplete bag of bones with no feet, and this embarrassing misgendering mistake, pretty much demonstrate the claim that Lucy is the real deal has been (humanly speaking) debunked! Adios!

Nope.

Foes to science come under different guises.

Lucy's a dude? Lucy then becomes Lucifer?
Footprints without feet? 😐

Learner,

It appears that you have learned nothing from our first interaction talking about fossils some 2.5 months ago. Some people never do. But there is hope for you - set aside your ego, listen to what the scientists have to say in their reports and papers, and stay away from creationist sources because they are almost always wrong and many lie deliberately.

I don't want to get into another round of pointing out your follies as I am about 3 weeks out of open heart surgery and this would not be good for my health. So have pity on this old man and do your homework before you post. Thank you.

Learner,

It appears that you have learned nothing from our first interaction talking about fossils some 2.5 months ago. Some people never do. But there is hope for you - set aside your ego, listen to what the scientists have to say in their reports and papers, and stay away from creationist sources because they are almost always wrong and many lie deliberately.

I don't want to get into another round of pointing out your follies as I am about 3 weeks out of open heart surgery and this would not be good for my health. So have pity on this old man and do your homework before you post. Thank you.

The video and transcript are filled with lies, as the link I gave shows.

Also, isn’t it cute how the narrator employs a folksy, wink-wink, nudge-nudege, snarky way of speaking intending to suggest that he and his audience — i.e., people who don’t know shit about this subject, or about anything else, probably — are in on the joke against those elitist scientists who, you know, look down on the widdle people like them who know best! The bible said it, they believe it, and that settles it!

And of course, he took a swipe at the transgendered, because of course he did! What else do fundy Christians have except ignorance and hate?

Learner,

Hello Eric, been quite a while.
although... you never really pointed out any follies as you think you did, you tried on the other thread. I let you off by leaving it there - (pardon the tone of arrogance but it's fitting Mr. A). But anyway take it easy.
(I was in 'critical care' myself last year, not that anyone noticed me missing for little while). Take it easy.

[Foes to science come under different guises....]
Learner,

[I don't want to get into another round of pointing out your follies ..]

The video and transcript are filled with lies, as the link I gave shows.

Also, isn’t it cute how the narrator employs a folksy, wink-wink, nudge-nudege, snarky way of speaking intending to suggest that he and his audience — i.e., people who don’t know shit about this subject, or about anything else, probably — are in on the joke against those elitist scientists who, you know, look down on the widdle people like them who know best! The bible said it, they believe it, and that settles it!

And of course, he took a swipe at the transgendered, because of course he did! What else do fundy Christians have except ignorance and hate?
No surprise I'd be expecting biased opinions/responses. 'Don't matter what they say..'it's always a lie because um...they're "creationists". 😐

From the article I quote below from a scientist who wrote on a science blogging site ScIU (Indiana University Science) - the scientist who's in the field of the very subject-matter being discussed. If the scientist is saying
that in the quote below.. I most certainly am not going to take either of your biased, anti-creationist opinions (highlighted in bold) as serious/adequate countering arguments to any of the points made in the said video?

Excerpt from ScIU:
... As scientists, we strive to reduce error and bias as much as possible. But as a paleontologist, I need to be aware of the biases I can’t reduce. The fossil record is inherently biased. Not everything that dies becomes a fossil. Not every fossil has been found. Not every fossil stays intact well enough to study. These biases in the fossil record come in many forms and are studied under the branch of paleontology known as taphonomy....
ScIU blog

*Edit: I'm not suggesting the scientist is refering to bias against creationists etc..

Last edited:
So, yes, I did counter the very first thing he said. The very first clause of his very first sentence.
The few words you managed to critique of a mere sentence, is as far as you're willing to go (which I can accept). I mean with the little you were critiquely inputting as a counter to very few words... where do you "counter" the explanation (the whole video ) that "fraudulent manipulation of data" was used to create the false appearance of the Australopithecus named Lucy?
You should have made the argument for "fraudulent manipulation of data" yourself.

Think a little and show your work. Don't shift the burden to other people.
Fair point.. noted.

Learner,

Hello Eric, been quite a while.
although... you never really pointed out any follies as you think you did, you tried on the other thread. I let you off by leaving it there - (pardon the tone of arrogance but it's fitting Mr. A). But anyway take it easy.
(I was in 'critical care' myself last year, not that anyone noticed me missing for little while). Take it easy.

Just behave yourself. if you go around spreading misinformation about my beloved fossils, I will put you across my knee again and give you another spanking. be warned.

Hospitals suck. You have to go to hospital to get fixed, but they are hell. Thank God I don't have be there every day for work anymore.

Back
Top Bottom