• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Civil3D must die!!!

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
I've been using CAD for a couple decades now. CAD has come a long way and there have been many improvements. Unfortunately, the layers and webs of the benefits have now entangled into each other making it very hard to actually do anything these days. For instance, it shouldn't take a philosopher to figure what layer(s) needs to be on for that layer to be on.

The layer nesting is unbelievably complicated and when you mix it with a bunch of other files from another company, then you can be up shit's creek, having no idea what this or that isn't showing.

This used to be an issue with Blocks. You'd have layers nested in a block, so when you tried to Layoff a layer in the block, it didn't do anything. Now days, you need to have several layers on, to see a single layer. There doesn't seem to be an obvious layer hierarchy. *GAAAAAAAAA!!!!!*

So, it must die.

I've been using CAD for a couple decades now. CAD has come a long way and there have been many improvements. Unfortunately, the layers and webs of the benefits have now entangled into each other making it very hard to actually do anything these days. For instance, it shouldn't take a philosopher to figure what layer(s) needs to be on for that layer to be on.

The layer nesting is unbelievably complicated and when you mix it with a bunch of other files from another company, then you can be up shit's creek, having no idea what this or that isn't showing.

This used to be an issue with Blocks. You'd have layers nested in a block, so when you tried to Layoff a layer in the block, it didn't do anything. Now days, you need to have several layers on, to see a single layer. There doesn't seem to be an obvious layer hierarchy. *GAAAAAAAAA!!!!!*

So, it must die.
Careful what you wish for. I believe Revit is exponentially more annoying

Try Photoshop some day.

I had access to a machine with Photoshop on it and had a really simple project: I had two images I wanted to turn into one--like a panorama but the images didn't match up. The hoops one must jump through are considerable and easy to mess up for someone following directions they found online.

IrfanView: Create panorama image, select horizontal or vertical, add images, click create. It doesn't give a hoot whether they are really a panorama, they're just laid out as you ask.

Careful what you wish for. I believe Revit is exponentially more annoying
I don't believe there is any good system right now. Each has some serious weaknesses. Microstation and Civil3d can be extremely useful and powerful, but even if you know what you are doing, certain things can just become a mess. The nesting of layers (levels) has become massively convoluted. Especially in the case I recently suffered through, you really never know which layer is in charge of an object.

Back
Top Bottom