• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Climate Change

fast

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Christian
What is the scientific consensus among those that skillfully interpret the data regarding the specific issue about whether or not the manmade impact on global warming is so substantial that it warrants costly governmental intervention?

That's a mouth full, so I'm going to break it down, and though I may be apt to make some novice mistakes, I'm still not after just any ole answer. It's not that I'm resistent to answers I don't like; I just want to make sure that my concerns are in fact addressed.

The weather is changing. Of course it is, and the climate is changing. On this, we should all agree. Essentially, the weather is something we can directly detect. Detecting a change in climate (on the other hand) requires a little bit of math. For instance, if we akin the change of global temperature as it pertains to weather, it would be like recording the actual temperatures--much like how we could record stock prices at any given time. In order to ascertain a change in climate (on the other hand) we would need to look at the trend of temperatures over time, much like how we could calculate moving averages of stocks. My point behind this paragraph is simply to distinguish between weather and climate, since the question posed includes the term, "global warming."

The climate is changing. Specifically, temperatures are changing. More specifically, the average global temperature is trending. In fact, the trend, slight as it may be, is upwards. In other words, our planet is getting hotter. It's gradual; hence the phrase, "global warming." I think most people agree with this. Few people, even those that might be referred to as climate change deniers, disagree with this. What they may or may not agree or disagree with depends on the very specific question asked. The point behind this paragraph is to point out the need to be mindful that even good answers may match well ... but with questions not asked. For example, do humans by virtue of their activities of burning fossil fuels contribute to an additional global rise in average temperatures? Yes. But, that wasn't my question.

Scientific consensus is such that they agree with me. Yes, my question includes the words, "scientific consensus," but the popular scientific consensus touted is such that there is an impact on climate by manmade activities. True, yes, agreed, but not wiping your feet before or after entering or leaving a beach by an ocean has an effect on the number of grains of sand on the beach; hence, the vast overwhelming majority of those in the scientific field are undoubtedly going to arrive at the consensus that there is at least a minimal additional effect on climate by humans.

We are in an iceage. We know this and is evidenced by massive amounts of ice on our planet, especially at our poles. Granted, we are on our way out of an iceage, and so expect temperatures to be on a gradual rise--with or without human activity.

I don't have a good enough scientific appreciation to properly appraise the abundance of information. I'm nervous of bandwagon thought. I'm highly skeptical of the interpretative skills of even those who are more knowledgable than myself. I'm afraid that stark changes over the short term is being properly put in its place. I'm suspecting that even if man were to immediately change its ways in the most pragmatically way possible, we'd only be mildly delaying the inevitable. I think we'd be helping to rush global warming if we were to relax policies on emissions, but I'm having a hard time coming to terms with the idea that even with all we do that our impact is as significant as some lead us to believe.

I'm open to scientific convincing; I'm just cautious for fear of being accidentally misled. My understanding is that Neil Tyson supports the notion most climate change alarmists embrace do, but I don't know what amidst the scientific knowledge drives the view.

The rate of global temperature change is VASTLY greater today than it has been at any prior time in human history.

https://xkcd.com/1732/

View attachment 8941
View attachment 8942
View attachment 8943
View attachment 8944
View attachment 8945
View attachment 8946
View attachment 8947
View attachment 8948
View attachment 8949

The fastest rate of change of global temperature in the period in the period from 20,000BCE to 1900CE was about 1oC per 5 centuries. Temperatures have gone up more than that in the single century since 1900 - and most of that increase was in the last fifty years. So the effect we are having is approximately ten times as large as anything previously seen. If not checked, the temperature will increase by another 3 or 4 oC by 2100 - and that's a BIG change. When temperatures were about that much lower than today's, there were glaciers as far south as Manhattan Island, Ireland, and much of Great Britain.

It is certainly plausible that global temperature might rise, without our contribution; but our part in the current rate of change completely swamps any natural change. 1oC per 5 centuries is a VERY different beast to 3 or 4 oC per 1 century. We are causing warming 15 to 20 times as rapid as anything seen before - and it is far from clear that this is survivable. Even if it is, it will radically change the geography of the planet - many current cities, and quite a few entire countries, will be well below the new sea level once the Antarctic and Greenland ice-caps are added to the world's oceans.

I would say that there has been a CO2 thermostat reset that has already been flipped on by tapping ancient fossil fuel sources.

This is a different thermostat reset than happens from the Milankovitch cycle and the feedbacks involving carbon dioxide.

We will also experience feedbacks, but much larger and faster than the ones in the last 2.5 million years of the Quaternary glaciation.

You have to go back to ~15 million years when there was the volcanism of the columbia basin really pushed CO2 levels high:

ColumbiaRiverBasalts.png

It's like being in a nice warm hot tub with some friends... and then you look over the edge of the tub and see that someone has lit a fire under it, and the water is slowly going to come to a boil. You tell your friends, "we gotta put out that fire, quick, throw a few cups of water over the side to put out the fire!" And they reply, "the water feels good right now... and besides, we don't want to spare a few cups of water out of the tub". Then you realize you can't get out of the tub and you are going to be boiled to death with your idiot friends.

I would say that when it was called global warming that people may have thought it meant that it would forever keep on getting hotter. No, it would reach the temperature that the CO2 level in combination with the sun's radiation set as the new thermostat and then stop. But that temperature change will make things radically different.

This is even ignoring the carbon locked in tundra and so on that will be released.

Fortunately we have the Trump administration to save us.

The plan is, apparently, to stop anyone from publishing information about climate change, on the grounds that if we ignore it, it will ignore us.

If that doesn't work, we can wrap our towels around our heads, and hope that it realises that as we can't see it, it can't see us, and wanders off. It works for the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal.

It's like being in a nice warm hot tub with some friends... and then you look over the edge of the tub and see that someone has lit a fire under it, and the water is slowly going to come to a boil. You tell your friends, "we gotta put out that fire, quick, throw a few cups of water over the side to put out the fire!" And they reply, "the water feels good right now... and besides, we don't want to spare a few cups of water out of the tub". Then you realize you can't get out of the tub and you are going to be boiled to death with your idiot friends.
Sometimes we have the friends that we deserve. :D
EB

Fortunately we have the Trump administration to save us.

The plan is, apparently, to stop anyone from publishing information about climate change, on the grounds that if we ignore it, it will ignore us.

If that doesn't work, we can wrap our towels around our heads, and hope that it realises that as we can't see it, it can't see us, and wanders off. It works for the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal.
More likely people in his administration will have to develop a routine of ignoring Trump. It seems to me they've already started. I think the Trump presidency will show to the American people where power actually is. The crisis point might come, if it ever comes, if Trump could stop delluding himself that he gets to make all the decisions that matter. If he manages to keep the pretense that he does for four years, his administration will indulge him and do all the actual hard work and congress will keep Trump as a kind of Mad King George president. A day of fools.
EB

Back
Top Bottom