• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

COLOUR

Dualism is claiming that the mind is something independent of the brain.

My position is that the mind is intimately connected to the brain. I have said that many times. You can't understand that like you can't understand so many things. They are two entities that have a correlation. The brain creates the mind and the mind can influence the brain. Clearly seen in things like biofeedback.

The mind knows what an idea is. The brain does not.

So you are done with your "duality" stupidity?

You have said in the past that the mind is able to act independently of the brain. Which makes you a dualist. Are you now denying what you said? Or have you changed your mind?

My position is that the mind is intimately connected to the brain. I have said that many times. You can't understand that like you can't understand so many things. They are two entities that have a correlation. The brain creates the mind and the mind can influence the brain. Clearly seen in things like biofeedback.

You have said in the past that the mind is able to act independently of the brain. Which makes you a dualist. Are you now denying what you said? Or have you changed your mind?

Yes. The mind is not the brain.

It does not mean they have no connection.

You have no point and never have had one.

Your "dualism" is a bunch of nonsense you try to hide your bad ideas behind. It is hand waving not an argument.

Yes. The mind is not the brain.

It does not mean they have no connection.

You have no point and never have had one.

Your "dualism" is a bunch of nonsense you try to hide your bad ideas behind. It is hand waving not an argument.

The belief that mind is a separate entity which has a connection to the brain is dualism.

As an activity of the brain, mind is the work of the brain and is in no way separate from it. Mind is something a brain is doing.

If you believe the mind is not the activity of a brain, you are in fact a dualist.

The belief that mind is a separate entity which has a connection to the brain is dualism.

No it isn't.

Thinking the mind can exist without the brain is dualism.

You change your tune continually to suit your prejudices.

You are not rational or somebody who has anything reasonable to say.

I would rather think that the mind is intimately a product of the imaginary part of a graph based complex number

Interestingly, such would imply that not all existent things are "real"

No it isn't.

Believing that the mind is able to act independently from the brain is dualism: if the brain is generating mind, as the evidence supports, mind cannot act independently from the very mechanism and electrochemical activity that is forming it while it is active.

You have said in the past that mind can act independently from the brain, which makes you a dualist.

Do you still believe in independence of mind?

No it isn't.

Believing that the mind is able to act independently from the brain is dualism: if the brain is generating mind, as the evidence supports, mind cannot act independently from the very mechanism and electrochemical activity that is forming it while it is active.

You have said in the past that mind can act independently from the brain, which makes you a dualist.

Nope.

No matter how many times you make that erroneous claim it will never be true.

Creating something that is distinct and can act based on ideas, not hormones, and have feedback to the thing that created it is no miracle.

It merely is not understood one bit.

You have no valid arguments for your religious beliefs.

You don't understand the logical consequences of your religious beliefs.

No it isn't.

I think the problem with discussing mind is that it is being used as a noun rather than a verb. Mind (thought, sensing, reason, etc.) is the emergent property of an active brain. Sorta like running is not a part of an engine but it is the result of an active engine. A dead brain no longer "minds" and a dead engine no longer runs.... or mind is what a brain does, running is what an engine does.

Verb: To experience blue

Noun: That which experiences blue and has no doubt it is experiencing blue

Some want to claim there can be experience without some 'thing' aware of the experience.

True. That thing is the being, the entity that embodies the brain through which information about the world is processed. It's important to substantiate that material consequences are produced by material processes. Such keeps evidence trail. Anything else is resorting to woo woo which, as everybody knows, is not a thing. Experience, mind, self are subjective constructs, place holders, for brain processes the being accomplishes. They are not things that exist without there being a being with a brain. Attributing reality to such is magic thinking.

I think the problem with discussing mind is that it is being used as a noun rather than a verb. Mind (thought, sensing, reason, etc.) is the emergent property of an active brain. Sorta like running is not a part of an engine but it is the result of an active engine. A dead brain no longer "minds" and a dead engine no longer runs.... or mind is what a brain does, running is what an engine does.

That is what I meant. It's just a matter of convenience and brevity to say 'the mind' in reference to all the attributes and features of both conscious and unconscious brain activity.

Nope.

Creating something that is distinct and can act based on ideas, not hormones, and have feedback to the thing that created it is no miracle.

The question was; are you still claiming that the mind (all of the attributes and features) can act independently from the brain?

You have said as much in the past, and I can quote.

If so, you know what the ability to act independently means.....right? Do you understand the implications?

Nope.

The question was; are you still claiming that the mind (all of the attributes and features) can act independently from the brain?

You have said as much in the past, and I can quote.

If so, you know what the ability to act independently means.....right? Do you understand the implications?

Acting independently means that once you are created you have your own abilities distinct from the thing that has created you.

It means the situation is far more complex than your simple minded notions.

Are you still claiming the mind can't act independently from the brain?

Are you still claiming the brain creates the mind for no reason?

You have no evidence or rational argument. Saying "But the brain creates the mind" over and over isn't an argument. It is a claim from the ignorance of what a mind is. This ignorance is proven in the "studies" you present where they are forced to ask the subject what the subject is experiencing because they have no other way to know.

You have your absurd claims pulled from your backside that don't amount to anything.

Freedom of mind is in every "no". If subjects were told they should not comply with any instructions from researchers and exercised their will then the so-called "studies" would look very different.

Freely granted compliance with the desires of researchers is evidence of a free will.

True. That thing is the being, the entity that embodies the brain through which information about the world is processed.

There is no information about the world to process.

The world is invisible energy.

The brain processes information about the movement of nitrogen atoms.

Your ideas are miracles.

Woo woo woo.

That is what I meant. It's just a matter of convenience and brevity to say 'the mind' in reference to all the attributes and features of both conscious and unconscious brain activity.
I understand the convenience but, unfortunately, people like unter take it literally as a "thing" rather than a process of the brain and build a whole woo belief system around it. Such people are then incapable of comprehending anything outside their woo.

I understand the convenience but, unfortunately, people like unter take it literally as a "thing" rather than a process of the brain and build a whole woo belief system around it. Such people are then incapable of comprehending anything outside their woo.

The mind is that "thing" that experiences color. Color is only an experience and nothing else.

You want to claim there can be experience without some "thing" aware of the experience.

Your ideas are irrational.

True. That thing is the being, the entity that embodies the brain through which information about the world is processed.

There is no information about the world to process.

The world is invisible energy.

The brain processes information about the movement of nitrogen atoms.

Your ideas are miracles.

Woo woo woo.

On my ideas are miracles:
 Entropy in thermodynamics and information theory

Bottom line: "Ultimately, the criticism of the link between thermodynamic entropy and information entropy is a matter of terminology, rather than substance. Neither side in the controversy will disagree on the solution to a particular thermodynamic or information-theoretic problem."

As you are so fond of saying "this is, after all, a philosophical forum."

Woo woo to U 2 boo boo

Back
Top Bottom