• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Computer hardware question

ZiprHead

Loony Running The Asylum
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Don't be a dick.
I have an HP Probook 6550b, i5 processor, 8 gigs ram, running win7 64b. This morning, while using the computer, the touchpad and mouse keys (two pair, one below the keyboard and one below the touchpad) stopped working. I reinstalled a fresh driver from HP with no luck. BIOS is reporting "No mouse found". The mouse still moves with the controller nipple in the middle of the keyboard.

Since all three components, the touchpad and both sets of mouse keys, stopped working at the same time and all three have their own separate circuit boards, do you think as I do that this is a motherboard issue?

One time I distorted the seat of a pleather chair from the heat a laptop was putting off. Turned out that some fans were clogged with resin. Didn't help that I was suffocating it in pleather either. Eventually not even the battery was detected.

This was an HP dv7 i5 running the same os. When I took some of it apart, it put off a smell that was undeniably something burnt. Then all kinds of other stuff happened because basically I overheated it. It would have cost more money to fix than replace. I don't know much about laptops but that is what happened to me.

I have an HP Probook 6550b, i5 processor, 8 gigs ram, running win7 64b. This morning, while using the computer, the touchpad and mouse keys (two pair, one below the keyboard and one below the touchpad) stopped working. I reinstalled a fresh driver from HP with no luck. BIOS is reporting "No mouse found". The mouse still moves with the controller nipple in the middle of the keyboard.

Since all three components, the touchpad and both sets of mouse keys, stopped working at the same time and all three have their own separate circuit boards, do you think as I do that this is a motherboard issue?

Thanks for your suggestions. No touchpad control on the keyboard or the touchpad though so no luck there.

I D/Ld the service manual and the components all go into one circuit board before going into the MB so I'm thinking that's the problem. I can get a replacement top board on eBay for about 13 bucks so I think that's the next step. Maybe while I've got the thing apart, I'll upgrade to an i7 processor depending on how cheap I can get one.

Okay, last night, the touchpad started working again. Luckily, I hadn't ordered the part from eBay yet.

This makes Me think there is some way I disabled the touchpad and somehow re-enabled it. I checked the owner's manual and it does not mention anyway of disabling it (besides turning it off in Windows, of course).

I've posted a question about this at HP support forums. I'll let you all know if I get and answer.

Okay, last night, the touchpad started working again. Luckily, I hadn't ordered the part from eBay yet.

This makes Me think there is some way I disabled the touchpad and somehow re-enabled it. I checked the owner's manual and it does not mention anyway of disabling it (besides turning it off in Windows, of course).

I've posted a question about this at HP support forums. I'll let you all know if I get and answer.

Windows, like God, works in mysterious ways....

Back
Top Bottom