• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Confucius vs Lao Zi

fta

Basic Beliefs
Unbeliever
Why do historians think that Confucius was an actual historical person, whereas his alleged contemporary and acquaintance Lao Zi (supposed founder of Taoism) was likely a myth?

I don't think there is any hard evidence as to who Lao may have been.

Laozi (/ˈlaʊdzə/, Chinese: 老子), also romanized as Lao Tzu and various other ways, was a semi-legendary ancient Chinese philosopher, author of the Tao Te Ching, the foundational text of Taoism along with the Zhuangzi. Laozi is a Chinese honorific, typically translated as "the Old Master". Modern scholarship generally regards his biographical details as invented, and his opus a collaboration. Traditional accounts say he was born as Li Er in the state of Chu in the 6th century BC during China's Spring and Autumn period, served as the royal archivist for the Zhou court at Wangcheng (in modern Luoyang), met and impressed Confucius on one occasion, and composed the Tao Te Ching in a single session before retiring into the western wilderness.

The Tao Te Ching[note 1] (traditional Chinese: 道德經; simplified Chinese: 道德经) is a Chinese classic text and foundational work of Taoism traditionally credited to the sage Laozi,[7][8] though the text's authorship, date of composition and date of compilation are debated.[9] The oldest excavated portion dates to the late 4th century BCE,[10] but modern scholarship dates other parts of the text as having been written—or at least compiled—later than the earliest portions of the Zhuangzi.[11]

The Tao Te Ching is central to both philosophical and religious conceptions of Taoism, and has had great influence beyond Taoism as such on Chinese philosophy and religious practice throughout history. Terminology originating in the Tao Te Ching has been reinterpreted and elaborated upon by Legalist thinkers, Confucianists, and particularly Chinese Buddhists, which had been introduced to China significantly after the initial solidification of Taoist thought. It is comparatively well known in the West, and one of the most translated texts in world literature.[10]

Confuses was a moralist . He is credited with instituting a meritocracy in the China of his day, examinations for public office for example. He left a footprint. I'd compare him to a Greek philosopher.

Kong Qiu (孔丘), was a Chinese philosopher of the Spring and Autumn period who is traditionally considered the paragon of Chinese sages, as well as the first teacher in China to advocate for mass education. Much of the shared cultural heritage of the Sinosphere originates in the philosophy and teachings of Confucius.<a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confucius#cite_note-1">[1]</a> His philosophical teachings, called Confucianism, emphasized personal and governmental morality, harmonious social relationships, righteousness,<a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confucius#cite_note-:0-2">[2]</a> kindness, sincerity, and a ruler's responsibilities to lead by virtue.<a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confucius#cite_note-3">[3]</a>

I've seen the Wikipedia articles, but I'm curious as to why the evidence for the historicity of Confucius is considered more solid than the evidence for the existence of Lao Zi, considering that the two men are supposed to have been contemporaries who met each other.

Last edited:
He left a fo0tprint as did the Greek philosophers. I read a book on Confucius. I read the Tao Te Ching the and the I Ching back in the day.

Why are Plato and Aristotle credible historical figures?

Who Buddha was is not known there are anecdotal stories.

Back
Top Bottom