• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

CONTRIBUTE to TalkFreethought - think about it?

Rhea

Cyborg with a Tiara
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Humanist
I'm posting this in in Gen religion because I used to spend so much time here, I've already had it up in Politics, where I spend more time lately. But anyway, here's my pitch...

I've been a member of this community since 1999 (I changed user names in 2001). It's been a great haven to talk about various things free from the oppressive yoke of kowtowing to the sensibilities of majority religions. I've talked politics, I've discussed religion, I've been activist, I've learned a shitpotful about various areas of science. It's been a really terrific "place" to retreat to, to gather and to hang out for years and years.

If you want it to be around for years and years for you, too, think about how that will happen, and whether you can kick in a little to keep it up to date; reupholstered from time to time, new cabinet fronts and a fresh surface on the driveway. Update the lights to energy efficient and change the water in the hot tub.

Just $5. Or $20. And if you can do more, that's awesome. But if you can't, maybe just that $5.

From the perspective of 15 years, I can absolutely say I am so glad it is still here. Lots of different people, but the place is still standing. And I love that it's still here with the doors open when I come home from a meeting full of "radical constitutionalists" arguing to close the library and fire the police. I love it when I can come here after the YMCA instructor recoils in horror upon learning we are atheists. I love it when I can come here and ask people with different backgrounds what's the deal with an aspect of world politics, or new science, or childrearing.

Think about it.

You might end up having 10 or 15 years here, too. And you might be glad it's still around when you become a new parent, or your kids leave the nest, or your co-worker slathers you with blesserizing.

The button's up top in green. I hope you'll help.

Making an additional appeal since the donations have been stuck with no increase for several weeks now. Hoping people who find this place valuable will consider helping to maintain the infrastructure.

Ray responds to request for more detail on fundraising needs:

Hi!

Yes!

First thing: thanks to all who have donated and all who plan to donate!

This is an annual need. Except the amount is high this time as I needed to cover the amount that was overdue ($1050). The server cost is currently at $45 a month. So I hope to raise $540 extra to cover this next year. (note, I changed the total from $2000 to $1600). I will run an annual campaign to raise $600 a year. That should be less expensive in the future. Unless we grow large enough to need more than one server (or a very large server).

The donations pay for the server and the domain name. Which are the only expenses we have for keeping the site online. I will look into finding a less expensive option soon. I may even put the site and archive on one of my cloud servers.

Back
Top Bottom