• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Convicted Felon Retires from Fox News and Friends to Head NRA

Don2 (Don1 Revised)

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
non-practicing agnostic
Retired Marine Lt. Col. Oliver North, a central figure in the Iran-contra affair in the 1980s, has been named president of the National Rifle Association.

The NRA’s board of directors chose North to be the organization’s president Monday morning after NRA President Pete Brownell decided not to seek a second term.

“This is the most exciting news for our members since Charlton Heston became president of our Association,” NRA Executive Vice President and CEO Wayne LaPierre said. “Oliver North is a legendary warrior for American freedom, a gifted communicator and skilled leader. In these times, I can think of no one better suited to serve as our president.”

North will assume the presidency in coming weeks and has retired from Fox News, where he was a commentator, effective immediately.

“I appreciate the board initiating a process that affords me a few weeks to set my affairs in order, and I am eager to hit the ground running as the new NRA President,” North said in a statement.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...dab596e8252_story.html?utm_term=.538663b317fd

So appropriate.

I agree with LaPierre. There is no one better suited to serve as President of the NRA. I guess Iran-Contra can now be interpreted to mean "broadening 2nd Amendment Rights overseas".

In direct violation to the spirit and the letter of the law written by Congress North ran a prolonged terrorist attack of Nicaragua.

He is a despicable criminal on the level of Saddam Hussein.

Who's Oliver North, you may ask? Here is the answer in form of a song:

He's not a convicted felon though.
It was overturned (and certainly the convictions weren't of charges of major importance). In fact, was anyone convicted permanently for grossly violating the law in Iran-Contra?!

1) US helped sell arms to Iran
2) US used proceeds to fund Contras in Nicaragua
3) No one was permanently convicted of shit

All the shit the right-wing gives the ACLU... who helped reverse those convictions?

Regardless, Oliver North is a great choice for the NRA. He stands by the right to own guns so much, he helped arm the Contras too!

North was tried in 1988. He was indicted on 16 felony counts, and on May 4, 1989, he was initially convicted of three: accepting an illegal gratuity, aiding and abetting in the obstruction of a congressional inquiry, and ordering the destruction of documents through his secretary, Fawn Hall. He was sentenced by U.S. District Judge Gerhard Gesell on July 5, 1989 to a three-year suspended prison term, two years probation, $150,000 in fines, and 1,200 hours of community service.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliver_North#Iran%E2%80%93Contra_affair

He most certainly was tried and convicted of felonies.

He may be a pardoned convicted felon, or a convicted felon who got off on a technicality, but he will always be a convicted felon.

North was tried in 1988. He was indicted on 16 felony counts, and on May 4, 1989, he was initially convicted of three: accepting an illegal gratuity, aiding and abetting in the obstruction of a congressional inquiry, and ordering the destruction of documents through his secretary, Fawn Hall. He was sentenced by U.S. District Judge Gerhard Gesell on July 5, 1989 to a three-year suspended prison term, two years probation, $150,000 in fines, and 1,200 hours of community service.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliver_North#Iran–Contra_affair

He may be a pardoned convicted felon but he will always be a convicted felon.
He wasn't pardoned, the convictions were overturned.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliver_North#Iran–Contra_affair

He may be a pardoned convicted felon but he will always be a convicted felon.
He wasn't pardoned, the convictions were overturned.

See my edited version.

He was tried and convicted of felonies.

He committed felonies.

He may have gotten himself immunity from prosecution for those felonies but he committed them and was tried in open court and convicted of them.

Whatever floats your boat. I'm simply stating fact. Felon he is not. He can vote, and own guns, and has all sorts of rights just like the rest of us. Argue your point to the appeals court that vacated the charges an gave him a clean criminal record. He's no different then any other person that's ever won on appeal, or been exonerated of charges for being falsely accused and released from prison decades later. Sure what happened still happened. But they aren't a felon.

There's no reason to not keep the facts straight.

Well, at least having him there keeps things consistent with the NRA's policy of allowing people to sell guns to terrorists.

I'd have personally picked someone like Colin Noir. He's a better representation of the future. But I'm not a member so I don't get a vote.

I'd have personally picked someone like Colin Noir. He's a better representation of the future. But I'm not a member so I don't get a vote.

Noir just seems sane because the company he keeps. He is pretty ignorant on anything outside his pro gun right wing bubble. He uses the same disingenuous half truths like, say Dana Loesch or Tucker Carlson but there really is nothing unique about him.

Back
Top Bottom