• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Coping with Isolation

The biggest problem seems to be that too many people aren't taking this seriously. I saw Gov. Cuomo speaking this morning and he was really pissed off. He said there were still people crowded in parks and teenagers playing basketball. He said that this has to stop, but I doubt these are the type of people who ever watch or read the news.

I know it's hard for those who live alone, but I'm actually enjoying not having to go anywhere other than the grocery store. I just wish the idiots in my town would start to take this more seriously. The restaurants are still open. Yesterday, while returning from the pharmacy, I saw that a place that does nails was jammed. WTF! I never. understood the obsession with having one's fingernails manicured and painted, but this is just idiotic.

My sister in New Jersey doesn't want to leave her home to buy incontinence supplies for our mother, so I just finished ordering them from Amazon. She should have enough to last for at least month.

My neighbor is the real problem. She is bitching more than ever about all kinds of insignificant things. But, she has suffered from anxiety and PTSD for most of her adult life, so I try to be tolerant.

The biggest problem seems to be that too many people aren't taking this seriously. I saw Gov. Cuomo speaking this morning and he was really pissed off. He said there were still people crowded in parks and teenagers playing basketball. He said that this has to stop, but I doubt these are the type of people who ever watch or read the news.

I know it's hard for those who live alone, but I'm actually enjoying not having to go anywhere other than the grocery store. I just wish the idiots in my town would start to take this more seriously. The restaurants are still open. Yesterday, while returning from the pharmacy, I saw that a place that does nails was jammed. WTF! I never. understood the obsession with having one's fingernails manicured and painted, but this is just idiotic.

My sister in New Jersey doesn't want to leave her home to buy incontinence supplies for our mother, so I just finished ordering them from Amazon. She should have enough to last for at least month.

My neighbor is the real problem. She is bitching more than ever about all kinds of insignificant things. But, she has suffered from anxiety and PTSD for most of her adult life, so I try to be tolerant.

My city/county has now passed ordinances mandating no more than 12 rolls of toilet paper can be purchased at one time, has said people will be ticketed for violating the six foot separation rule on hike/bike trails, and games requiring close contact like basketball and even soccer are prohibited in city parks. Children's playgrounds have already been closed. Mrs Tharmas went to the grocery store yesterday afternoon and the milk, eggs, and meat section were decimated. No paper products. She couldn't buy ground turkey, which she was looking for, because it was all gone. Apparently the store had established a limit of two packs of ground beef, so when that was gone everyone switched to turkey. Maybe we'll all be a little healthier after all is said and done.

I am going to try to be at Kroger's at 7 AM tomorrow morning. They are opening for an hour at 7 for seniors only, then open to the general public at 8.

Reading reports from Italy, maintaining the cavalier attitude toward the virus is what put them in the predicament they are in now.

Edited to add: also, nail salons, hair dressers, barbers, tattoo parlors and the like are now all closed county-wide.

My city/county has now passed ordinances mandating no more than 12 rolls of toilet paper can be purchased at one time, has said people will be ticketed for violating the six foot separation rule on hike/bike trails, and games requiring close contact like basketball and even soccer are prohibited in city parks. Children's playgrounds have already been closed. Mrs Tharmas went to the grocery store yesterday afternoon and the milk, eggs, and meat section were decimated. No paper products. She couldn't buy ground turkey, which she was looking for, because it was all gone. Apparently the store had established a limit of two packs of ground beef, so when that was gone everyone switched to turkey. Maybe we'll all be a little healthier after all is said and done.

I am going to try to be at Kroger's at 7 AM tomorrow morning. They are opening for an hour at 7 for seniors only, then open to the general public at 8.

Reading reports from Italy, maintaining the cavalier attitude toward the virus is what put them in the predicament they are in now.

Edited to add: also, nail salons, hair dressers, barbers, tattoo parlors and the like are now all closed county-wide.

I hope my state wises up soon and closes all of those things. The store I visited early this morning was out of bread and eggs, but they had milk, lots of meat, bottled water and paper towels, but I didn't need any of those things. I was just curious about what was left.

I'm not sure if our Krogers is opening at 7 for seniors. It wasn't open until 8 on Friday when we visited. That's when my neighbor went and saw some jerk buy 10 huge rolls of toilet paper in the automatic checkout lane. The limit was supposed to be 3. My neighbor actually confronted the man in the parking lot and told him he had violated the limit. He just gave her a smug look and said, "I know." What an asshole. I don't need any paper products but I'm not hoarding them either. I did buy one package of toilet paper last week and sold half of it to my neighbor for her aunt. No, I did not price gouge her. :D

I think all of the delivery people and the grocery store workers deserve a raise, plus hazard pay for having to work during this crisis.

It appears that the old American hardiness is being bred out of the culture.

From numerous TV and radio shows it appears that any short term inconvenience brings on torrents of fear and anxiety. No ability to cope with he reality that existence on Earth is not a Disney happy cartoon or a Disneyland ride.

"The old American hardness" was always a myth.

Hardness comes from hardship, and Americans have had it easier for longer than any other nation in the history of the world.

Americans are soft; They like to pretend that they are hard as nails, but they are just to wealthy and cosseted for that to be true (as a general rule).

The Americans who are hard are mostly in your jails - and those who aren't yet, would be if the average middle class suburbanite had his way.
Oh fucking bullshit.

I've been losing weight, because I usually eat out frequently; and they and I tend to load orders up with carbs, 2 carb foods per regular order; "sure I'll have fries along with that bunned-up burger"; ordering rice AND noodles at a Chinese restaurant sounds yummy; and the restauranst regularly add bread to an order which already has rice, potatoes, or noodles; and I was raised to eat everything that was put before me.
Cooking at home, I have a left-over system to reuse food I don't eat, I never eat more than 1 carb-heavy food at a meal, and I rarely add fries, because they're a lot of work, and if i want potatoes at home, I usually prefer boiled potatoes with the skins on (which don't seem to be a regular choice at any restaurant in my heavily restauranted neighbourhood--not even the Irish restaurant).

I've lost a couple of lbs. because we used to eat lunch out about three times a week and I used to exercise about 135 minutes per week, but to help with stress and boost my immune system, I'm now doing aerobics for about 225 minutes per week. I didn't need to lose any weight, but losing that tiny bit means I can now fit into three pair of very fitted jeans that had been a little too tight in the waste. There's always a bright side to things like this. :D

I haven't cut back on my junk food at all and don't intend on making any changes. It's just that restaurant food usually always has a lot more calories than what I eat at home.

My favorite potatoes are the tiny ones, cut in half brushed with olive oil than sprinkled with paprika. Bake at about 400 for about 30-40 minutes. Yummy.

I've lost a couple of lbs. because we used to eat lunch out about three times a week and I used to exercise about 135 minutes per week, but to help with stress and boost my immune system, I'm now doing aerobics for about 225 minutes per week. I didn't need to lose any weight, but losing that tiny bit means I can now fit into three pair of very fitted jeans that had been a little too tight in the waste. There's always a bright side to things like this. :D

I haven't cut back on my junk food at all and don't intend on making any changes. It's just that restaurant food usually always has a lot more calories than what I eat at home.

My favorite potatoes are the tiny ones, cut in half brushed with olive oil than sprinkled with paprika. Bake at about 400 for about 30-40 minutes. Yummy.

Or: mince some garlic into that olive oil and throw in some rosemary and sprinkle with salt and pepper. If you avoid meat but do eat cheese, toss with some crumbled feta/goat cheese when done. We do a few different variations of this, depending on what we have on hand.

I'm going to give those potatoes a try tonight.

It appears that the old American hardiness is being bred out of the culture.

From numerous TV and radio shows it appears that any short term inconvenience brings on torrents of fear and anxiety. No ability to cope with he reality that existence on Earth is not a Disney happy cartoon or a Disneyland ride.

"The old American hardness" was always a myth.

Hardness comes from hardship, and Americans have had it easier for longer than any other nation in the history of the world.

Americans are soft; They like to pretend that they are hard as nails, but they are just to wealthy and cosseted for that to be true (as a general rule).

The Americans who are hard are mostly in your jails - and those who aren't yet, would be if the average middle class suburbanite had his way
Oh fucking bullshit.

I want to apologize for such a rude and not very substantial response to the above. We had a recent death in the family and a bunch of stressors because of that and also separate from that.

I do get very irritated when you (bilby) makes some anti-American remark that I feel is unfounded or in this case, founded on some blockbuster Sly Stallone movies.

In the US, as I suspect is true in Australia, the vast majority of those imprisoned are in prison because of some crime related to either drug trafficking or some crime committed while under the influence of some drug, sometimes alcohol or in order to obtain some drug and/or alcohol. This includes those who perpetuate all sorts of domestic violence, including crimes against children.

And I think in your post you are confusing 'hard' or 'hard as nails' with strong.

People do not end up in jail or prison because they are so strong. Or tough or hard.

They mostly end up in prison because they are unable to adapt to their circumstances and not strong/smart/resilient/lucky enough to be able to change their circumstances. Absolutely, 1000 percent true that racism is a tremendous reason for the reason many/most persons of color find themselves in such circumstances and this same racism very strongly influences the criminal justice and judicial systems. Hey, one of my family members who is white, grew up in what I would have considered pretty darn well off circumstances, plus being handsome, smart, with loving and caring parents is...an alcoholic and drug addict from his teen years--so for the past 50 years or so. He's mostly/somewhat clean now. I don't delve into his private matters enough to know for certain except that he still acts like an addict: emotional outbursts, emotional manipulation, refusal to take any responsibility for any of his current terrible behavior, much less any of the horrible things he's done to his family who he is (as in the past week) verbally abusing for not having made the same shitty choices he made and ending up with a nicer life because of that. For years, police just took him home after he wrapped a car around a tree (drunk) or whatever crime. His parents and siblings did not press charges for the thefts or assaults, even the ones that resulted in trips to the hospital. Instead, they tried to get him into rehab, etc. Now, it's absolutely not his fault that he's an addict. It IS, however, his fault that he refused all attempts to help him, instead showing up time and time and time again with his hand out, expecting to be bailed out of whatever mess he did. And when his parents finally had enough, he fathers an innocent kid with an equally incompetent woman, neither of them fit to be parents and so managed to dangle his parents and hers along until the kid finished high school. There were some peaceful times in this, when he was in prison because ultimately he stole enough from non-family members that his good looks and his parent's nice address couldn't protect him and his parents wouldn't.

He's smart--except that the alcohol and drug abuse have really taken away a lot of his mental abilities. He is or rather was very good looking (see drug use/abuse). He still looks like an athlete but his body is riddled with pain and almost certainly cancer (biopsy next week but yeah: I'd bet money on it). But he lacked the strength of character to actually man up and support his kid even though he knew the kids' mother wasn't fit to do it herself. Sure, back in the day, he could have rolled you for whatever you had on you in some alley. Probably not now. He is probably capable of scaring you into believing that he could but I know where he has metal plates and which wrist is so badly damaged that he's constantly wracked with pain. I could take him, easy. And I'm way out of shape.

He's not strong. He's not tough. He may have once been a hardened criminal. I have no doubt he's not above breaking whatever laws necessary to keep himself afloat if need be. Ironically, except for when he was in jail or prison, he's always had a job, many of the pretty well paying. He has a good work ethic. But a very weak character. He lacked the strength or the determination to accept the many chances he had to get himself clean. Now, I suppose he's clean or clean enough. I know he still drinks some. I know that he still gets pain meds from his doctor and does have legitimate need for them. But they mess up his head badly.

He's weak. He's always been weak. He had every advantage: good, loving, involved parents. Intelligence. Charm. Good looks. Good educational opportunities. Many friends and family who loved him. But not the strength to quit substance abuse until it almost killed him and honestly? I don't think he's all that 'quit.' Unfortunately. It makes me really sad.

But he's the exception. Most of the US incarcerated population did not come from such a lovely, privileged background. But most, like him, have serious problems with substance abuse. And other character defects that make it more convenient to steal and assault people than to really buck the system and make something good of themselves. Heck, I know some kids that grew up with my kids but in some pretty terrible circumstances. Some of them ended up in jail or prison--very justifiably. And some did not. Some have really made something of their lives, despite the bad circumstances and sometimes despite the several millstones called their family hanging around their necks. THOSE are the strong ones, the ones who made something of their lives despite their terrible circumstances, they are the ones who are tough as nails. They are resilient, determined to make something better of their lives than was expected of them by...anybody, or so it seemed.

You know who else is really strong? Tough? Teachers. Nurses and doctors. Parents who stick around and do their best to raise their kids no matter what it means that they give up themselves. People who do the same crappy job because it puts food in their family's mouths and a roof over their heads. People who change gears when life throws them a curve and move on to a different job, a different kind of job altogether, a different way of living.

Also: people who are wiling to welcome others into their home, their town, their job, their lives, even if they look or sound different. Yes, today there's a lot of news about bigots and arrogant assholes and Kardashians and reality stars. They rarely make movies about janitors who work 3 jobs to send their kids to school but they really should. They are so much more successful, so much more admirable--likeable than anybody related to the Kardashians.

I doubt that Australia is much different.

My daughter says Australians are just pissy because they lost the Great Emu War.

May is going to be hell, after a rough April. I'm working on coming up with contingencies, but people are going to lose their minds after the parks are closed because people couldn't keep safe distances. I can't imagine living in a place like LA, Chicago, or NYC and being stuck inside! I remember my cousins apartment that he had with his wife in Philly. Couldn't have been 500 SF, it was nice and trendy... but it was small. It'll be bad enough with a small yard and a X-Country Trail at the end of my street.

How long Thoreau last in that tiny cabin?

What America needs right now is a really cold and miserable Spring. Rain and 40s all spring!

May is going to be hell, after a rough April. I'm working on coming up with contingencies, but people are going to lose their minds after the parks are closed because people couldn't keep safe distances. I can't imagine living in a place like LA, Chicago, or NYC and being stuck inside! I remember my cousins apartment that he had with his wife in Philly. Couldn't have been 500 SF, it was nice and trendy... but it was small. It'll be bad enough with a small yard and a X-Country Trail at the end of my street.

What America needs right now is a really cold and miserable Spring. Rain and 40s all spring!

Noooooooooo! No more gray and cold and drizzly days! (or in my area: snow plus gray). I am embarrassed to say this but I am oh, so much more effective when the sun is brightly shining.

Noooooooooo! No more gray and cold and drizzly days! (or in my area: snow plus gray). I am embarrassed to say this but I am oh, so much more effective when the sun is brightly shining.

Here in Massachusetts we need the rain but it's been raining all week it seems and won't get sunny again for 2 more days. The kids need to get out for a while.

I have a big yard and we usually do an hour of Frisbee each day but haven't been able to.

We have had wonderful weather here for most of the week, sunny and temps in the 60s and now 70s. All of the spring flowers have been blooming and the leaves are out on most of the trees. I even got to try out my new Rx. sunglasses this week. I keep forgetting I have them because this is the first time I've ever bought Rx. sunglasses.

Since I don't have anyone to deal with but pets and a spouse, I can't complain.

We just got a shelter in place order which starts later today. That's going to make my nutty neighbor even nuttier, especially because the order says that we aren't allowed to have visitors in our homes. I imagine this is a dream for an extreme introvert, but for lonely people it's a horror.

We have had wonderful weather here for most of the week, sunny and temps in the 60s and now 70s. All of the spring flowers have been blooming and the leaves are out on most of the trees. I even got to try out my new Rx. sunglasses this week. I keep forgetting I have them because this is the first time I've ever bought Rx. sunglasses.

Since I don't have anyone to deal with but pets and a spouse, I can't complain.

We just got a shelter in place order which starts later today. That's going to make my nutty neighbor even nuttier, especially because the order says that we aren't allowed to have visitors in our homes. I imagine this is a dream for an extreme introvert, but for lonely people it's a horror.

I have a few perennials poking their heads up and some bushes just barely starting to bud. I'll have flowers in about 2 months from the early bloomers.

Back
Top Bottom