• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Cosmologist Alan Guth Interview

I love watching Closer to Truth series every Friday on PBS. I think 80% of my DVR space is filled with it.

It looks like their site has a lot of interesting stuff for atheist types. Atheist and theologians. Plus scientists, and philosophers.

The interviews that Kuhn does are quite diverse. And he's very frank about his skepticism of religion and theism, and very skeptical of his own desire for God to exist. And he always begins the program by stating a premise and ends it with a set of conclusions. Very well done. Haven't viewed any from his website yet.

PS - He also has a nice series about China.

From the web site:

WATCH NOW: FEATURED TOPIC

Perhaps Even God Doesn't Know the Future?
Is that not hilarious?

If they can't prove that God exists, then speculating on things like this is no different from Star Wars nerds arguing about the color of Luke Skywalker's lightsaber.

Hey, do you think the Easter Bunny is good at chess or bad at chess?

What is Bigfoot's opinions about ethnic tension in Rwanda?

Does Voldemort have any good cookie recipes? If so, what are they?

From the web site:

WATCH NOW: FEATURED TOPIC

Perhaps Even God Doesn't Know the Future?
Is that not hilarious?

If they can't prove that God exists, then speculating on things like this is no different from Star Wars nerds arguing about the color of Luke Skywalker's lightsaber.

Yup. God can be defined so many ways. Open theology, inspired by Process Theology. Redefine God because of the problems of things like free will and omniscience. I noted that in a survey by Pew, 26% of respondents defined God as not a personal God, but as an impersonal higher power.

It's not so hilarious when you consider that Biblical theology has so many problems some abandon that for attempts to save the hypothesis God exists.

From the web site:

Is that not hilarious?

Yup. God can be defined so many ways. Open theology, inspired by Process Theology. Redefine God because of the problems of things like free will and omniscience. I noted that in a survey by Pew, 26% of respondents defined God as not a personal God, but as an impersonal higher power.

It's not so hilarious when you consider that Biblical theology has so many problems some abandon that for attempts to save the hypothesis God exists.

But they are still arguing about the properties of something they can't prove in the first place. They might as well speculate on the preferred political structures of goblins or the favored musicals of side aliens.

This is the same problem as when Nazis say that Atlantis proves that "Aryans" are inherently superior. If you can't prove that Atlantis was a real place, then any proof dependent on the existence of Atlantis is a joke.

Back
Top Bottom