• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Could dark matter be baryonic?

Swammerdami

Squadron Leader
Basic Beliefs
pseudo-deism
Perhaps this belongs in The dumb questions thread, but I'm afraid it's too dumb even for that. It starts with the premise that the arrow of time derives from the unexplained singularity called The Big Bang: "Here's a huge amount of negative entropy. Start evolving that-away!" We remember yesterday and anticipate tomorrow not because of some inviolable law of physics, but just because we're enduring a strong gradient of entropy.

In my proposed science fiction epic(*), there is a second Big Bang event in the future, in opposition to the well-known Big Bang 13+ billion years ago. Let's suppose that future Big Bang is similar to ours, but its evolution is in the opposite direction of time — we'll call it the Reverse Big Bang. Like Merlin, creatures on the systems sprung from the future Big Bang remember events in our future and know nothing of our past. Interactions between creatures with our time sense and reverse-time creatures are very hard to imagine, but we'll save this for a different thread.

In the hope of adding a little "scientific credibility" to the epic, I consider equating dark matter to the reverse-stars and reverse-galaxies generated by the reverse-Bang. Some of the dark matter stars might be emitting light just as ferociously as our own Sun, but those photons would travel in reverse time: from our viewpoint the reverse-stars aren't emitting photons, they're absorbing photons. But we can't detect their light absorption; that's why they're dark.

Two flaws present. In this scenario, dark matter is baryonic, but Wikipedia et al insist baryonic dark matter is impossible. However, on inspection the claim that dark matter is non-baryonic seems flimsy. Much of the argumentation centers on the Second Law of Thermodynamics. But that Law doesn't apply to the reverse-galaxies from the reverse-Bang. Or rather, that matter is subject to a reverse-Second Law. From our viewpoint, entropy decreases in the reverse-world. Other arguments that dark matter is not baryonic appeal to Big Bang models — again inapplicable if that matter was created in the reverse-Bang.

The second argument against a reverse-Bang is that the equations of the universe may then be over-constrained, with two boundary conditions imposed instead of one. I have no rebuttal to that, but note that in some interpretations of quantum physics the world is under-constrained, with God called upon to throw dice constantly (to make up for the loss of constraints from the reverse-Bang?), switching quarks, choosing diffraction slits, killing cats and JFK, etc.

(* - Fear not that I will abscond with your good ideas and get rich off this epic. The chance of my ever publishing it is as close to Zero as it can get. If there is huge enthusiasm here, there is a slight chance (still much less than 0.1%) that I will post excerpts.)

A future Big Bang to which everything is being gathered should be called a Big Suck, or maybe Big Stick. And we could call it a Mae West Universe because it has two major features.

Who says baryonic dark matter is impossible?

baryonic dark matter

Thanks.
The total amount of baryonic dark matter can be inferred from models of Big Bang nucleosynthesis, and observations of the cosmic microwave background. Both indicate that the amount of baryonic dark matter is much smaller than the total amount of dark matter.

This, along with appeals to Second Law of Thermodynamics, are all the answers I've gotten in other fora.

And yet we also find, all over Wikipedia and Physics.StackExchange, and without explanation, that "dark matter does not interact with light." This seems to imply it is non-baryonic; it is presented as a basic fact, almost a postulate. Yet, as seen in the quoted link, it's more of a roundabout inference than a basic fact.

So I guess I'll proceed with reverse-stars in my sci-fi epic. Any idea what a space traveler would experience when approaching a star evolving in the reverse time direction?

Who says baryonic dark matter is impossible?

baryonic dark matter

Thanks.
The total amount of baryonic dark matter can be inferred from models of Big Bang nucleosynthesis, and observations of the cosmic microwave background. Both indicate that the amount of baryonic dark matter is much smaller than the total amount of dark matter.

This, along with appeals to Second Law of Thermodynamics, are all the answers I've gotten in other fora.

And yet we also find, all over Wikipedia and Physics.StackExchange, and without explanation, that "dark matter does not interact with light." This seems to imply it is non-baryonic; it is presented as a basic fact, almost a postulate. Yet, as seen in the quoted link, it's more of a roundabout inference than a basic fact.

So I guess I'll proceed with reverse-stars in my sci-fi epic. Any idea what a space traveler would experience when approaching a star evolving in the reverse time direction?
Nothing if they can reroute shit in the plasma conduits and use the deflector dish somehow.

Without it, there are a number of issues. Firstly, it presumes the end starts at the beginning, otherwise completely random things that had exploded and traveled long distances coalesce to form a star that now is un-nova'ing. Then there is the minor issue with reverse time is that entropy decreases in closed systems. Also, presumably if you fly too close, your engine explodes because the reaction that energy is dependent on flips. Fission to fusion, fusion to fission, peanut butter to jelly.

Back
Top Bottom