• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Covid-19 miscellany

If brushing yuor teeth was mandatory there would be peple who refused to brush and have their teeth rot.

A six-month-old baby whose parents refused to allow him to undergo lifesaving heart surgery using blood from people vaccinated against Covid-19 has been operated on in a New Zealand hospital.

I often wonder whether this kind of idiocy is homegrown or imported from the US.
There are other sovereign nations you know. Sometimes they are even capable of producing their own idiots.
*observes low hanging fruit*

*walks on*

The sad aspect of this story is that it was fraudulent cards that got her convicted and not her completely fraudulent ‘medicine’.
Preying on the gullible isn't particularly illegal. Forging false documents for sale is very illegal.
Tom

Credetialed doctors selling fake vaccine documents have been prosecuted here in Wa.

Something I just came across that I find interesting. Instead of trying to explain it myself, I will just quote the post I first heard about it from.

It looks like a very useful descriptor has arisen in the antipodes for a bunch of conspiracy theorists and anti-vaxxers. Cookers. I’ve seen it arise in social media and even in recent books lately, and a fine word it is. It derives from, according to some from “cooked in the head” or “drug cooker”. But the important thing is that if you call an anti-vaxxer et al a cooker, their brain tends to explode.

https://cookerpedia.org/wiki/Cooker

Quote:
Multiple definitions of the term Cooker can be found on Urban Dictionary, though none really capture the true nature of the Cooker as demonstrated during the Conn-voy to Kambra 2022.
In the Qanon community cult, the "gifted" people who takes Q's cryptic pronouncements (known to the cultists as breadcrumbs) then extrapolate and stretch them into semi-coherant ideas and conspiracies are lovingly known as Bakers. The cooker is a little lower on the social scale of far right nut jobs. The cooker doesn't really create any new conspiracies, the cooker contributes to the cause by merely believing every conspiracy they ever hear, no matter how far fetched or moronic the conspiracy might be.

If this word has been around longer, please correct me. Otherwise please use it to infuriate loonies.
I can see how this can become a quite useful new use of the word.

The CDC is recommending wearing masks when indoors again. I never stopped wearing one, but we do go out for pizza at least once a week in a restaurant that is never crowded when we go, so we do take a few little risks. I don't see the big deal with wearing a mask. A recent study in two We older adults are still at fairly high risk for serious illness if we contract COVID, especially if we have other risk factors or haven't been fully vaccinated and boosted. Almost all of the deaths now are people over 65.
Yeah. A couple of weeks ago I conducted an experiment--I was trying out wearing a mask (R95--they're easier to breathe through than an N95) on as much as possible of an 11-mile hike. I found it did not hinder me. They simply aren't that big a deal!

The CDC is recommending wearing masks when indoors again. I never stopped wearing one, but we do go out for pizza at least once a week in a restaurant that is never crowded when we go, so we do take a few little risks. I don't see the big deal with wearing a mask. A recent study in two We older adults are still at fairly high risk for serious illness if we contract COVID, especially if we have other risk factors or haven't been fully vaccinated and boosted. Almost all of the deaths now are people over 65.
Yeah. A couple of weeks ago I conducted an experiment--I was trying out wearing a mask (R95--they're easier to breathe through than an N95) on as much as possible of an 11-mile hike. I found it did not hinder me. They simply aren't that big a deal!
They aren't a big deal to you.

You cannot speak for the corporeal sensations that other people feel, even when they are wearing the same thing as you.

You cannot speak for the corporeal sensations that other people feel, even when they are wearing the same thing as you.
Most objections are psychological.

Most objections are psychological.
So...what, exactly?

I would be psychologically harmed by being paraded through the streets naked with somebody ringing a 'shame' bell behind me. In fact, that was rather the point of such a punishment.

But, whether 'most' of the objections are psychological or not, you cannot say 'they are not a big deal'. They are not a big deal to you. You do not get to make that call for everyone else on earth.

I guess the feeling of being suffocated isn't a big deal because it's only psychological.

I guess the feeling of being suffocated isn't a big deal because it's only psychological.
There are plenty of places that still require masks, including the church that a good friend of mine attends. I guess if people find masks that uncomfortable, they should try to avoid crowds out of respect for others. If we keep a good distance from each other, we are probably safe. That is why I feel safe when I go out for pizza. Nobody is closer than 10 or 15 feet away from us. Plus, we are fully vaccinated and boosted. I wish I could say the same about everyone. That doesn't always prevent disease but it almost always causes the infection to be a mild one, unless one has severe underlying issues which leave them with a very poor immune system.

It's good that these mask phobic people don't work in healthcare because masks have been required in many areas of healthcare forever and when I was working as a nurse, I never heard anyone complain about having to wear a mask. I'm having surgery next month and I can't imagine having surgery without all of those in the OR wearing masks. There is overwhelming evidence that they help prevent the spread of disease, despite what the nay sayers claim. Infection control is a good thing.

And the fear of my daughter getting an immunization is definitely psychological. Or my anxiety of getting blood drawn is psychological. But we are supposed to rise above that... especially in times of need.

Or... what is it that conservatives like to say "Fuck your feelings"? Funny how feelings matter sometimes with conservatives... so much they were willing to risk health of themselves and others over them. Quite irrational really.

And the fear of my daughter getting an immunization is definitely psychological. Or my anxiety of getting blood drawn is psychological. But we are supposed to rise above that... especially in times of need.

Or... what is it that conservatives like to say "Fuck your feelings"? Funny how feelings matter sometimes with conservatives... so much they were willing to risk health of themselves and others over them. Quite irrational really.
If Loren were willing to say 'fuck your feelings and tolerate the sensation of suffocation', that would be one thing. But Loren isn't willing to do that. He simply denies that anybody else has any experience that differs from his own. He has no physical discomfort with a mask so nobody else does, either.

There are plenty of places that still require masks, including the church that a good friend of mine attends. I guess if people find masks that uncomfortable, they should try to avoid crowds out of respect for others. If we keep a good distance from each other, we are probably safe. That is why I feel safe when I go out for pizza. Nobody is closer than 10 or 15 feet away from us. Plus, we are fully vaccinated and boosted. I wish I could say the same about everyone. That doesn't always prevent disease but it almost always causes the infection to be a mild one, unless one has severe underlying issues which leave them with a very poor immune system.

It's good that these mask phobic people don't work in healthcare because masks have been required in many areas of healthcare forever and when I was working as a nurse, I never heard anyone complain about having to wear a mask. I'm having surgery next month and I can't imagine having surgery without all of those in the OR wearing masks. There is overwhelming evidence that they help prevent the spread of disease, despite what the nay sayers claim. Infection control is a good thing.
This isn't the first time Loren has said masks are not a big deal to wear. He simply refuses to believe that some people do find them a big deal to wear and it isn't his call to make for other people.

If Loren were willing to say 'fuck your feelings and tolerate the sensation of suffocation', that would be one thing. But Loren isn't willing to do that. He simply denies that anybody else has any experience that differs from his own. He has no physical discomfort with a mask so nobody else does, either.
This coming from the guy that continually says the equivalent of "Fuck your feelings" to trans people is rich.

This coming from the guy that continually says the equivalent of "Fuck your feelings" to trans people is rich.
What am I demanding of trans people?

Nothing.

I think the focus really ought to be on the rationality and risk to others part. I mean, coughing a disease on someone or in their space is essentially an assault. We don't tell people they can drive on the road at night with their headlights off just because they feel more comfortable in the dark either. Driving drunk is also probably very comfortable in the moment.

Nothing.
So, what's the problem?

You appear to be accusing me of....something. I said it would be preferable for Loren to say 'fuck your feelings' but at least acknowledge that it was possible people had different physical experiences to him...and you call it 'rich' that...I'm not a hypocrite?

Nothing.
So, what's the problem?

You appear to be accusing me of....something. I said it would be preferable for Loren to say 'fuck your feelings' but at least acknowledge that it was possible people had different physical experiences to him...and you call it 'rich' that...I'm not a hypocrite?
They are asking that people refer to them in their gender identity. You refuse to do so. So, "Fuck your feelings" is your response to them.

Back
Top Bottom