• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Covid-19 miscellany

With all these new variants coming out, a clearer picture is emerging that dangerous mutarions in spike protein naturally occur.
As I understand, it is one of the more desirable traits to have of viruses that your evolution as hosts to such relies on effective annihilation of anything that dares try to eat you, especially as that which eats the things which infect them.

It makes sense continued pressure in that direction will always be followed. Take the message: don't eat bats.

The 2012 event (probably a Covid version but never confirmed) was miners, not bat-eaters. People around bats, jumps will happen.

Insanity.

FClGMRnVgAQ5rF1

FClGM2XVkAEIqIg

It's a matter of our fairly strict drug regulation. You can't approve a drug for a population it wasn't tested on. Tests involving kids are always harder and more expensive and Covid harm skews strongly older, they didn't include kids in the original test population. After success Pfizer started doing tests on kids, the 12-15 band has already been approved and they're working on 5-11. Presumably there will be another round of testing for the under 5s.

I see. Then I'd say that lack of flexibility does not seem to be a good idea. I mean, the fact is that children aren't getting the vaccines, and then they're getting infected, and then they're passing the virus to the adults in their families, and some (many) of them are dying or suffering serious long-term consequences, which is very bad for them of course, but also of course much worse for the kids than the expected negative consequences from the minimum risks of a vaccine - assuming the risks aren't much greater than with a "dead-virus" vaccine (granted, Sinopharm's vaccine was tested also on children in China, but a lack of speedy tests is also a problem. )

Meanwhile, over here, in spite of a seriously incompetent government, a much weaker health care system than America's, mediocre laws and worse enforcement, kids older than 3 are getting vaccinated, which predictably will have better overall results for them and for the rest of the population than the US approach. I think the US should upgrade its approach on this one.

I do agree it's a bit inflexible at times, but the world has had a horrible lesson in not testing on all target populations: Thalidomide. Safe for people, devastating for bodies being developed. (To this day it sees cautious use for it's ability to prevent blood vessels from developing. The bend-over-backwards caution in using it is to ensure no conceptions while using it, not due to danger to the user.)

As always, the people making the policies ought to consider the risks involved in vaccinating vs. the risks involved in not doing so, Thalidomide notwithstanding. And the risk seems negligible with a dead virus vaccine (what's going to do to them?), so I was asking whether it was due to the types of vaccines used in the US. Even so, if the risk is so great with those vaccines, the lack of tests so far is in itself a problem.

With all these new variants coming out, a clearer picture is emerging that dangerous mutarions in spike protein naturally occur.
As I understand, it is one of the more desirable traits to have of viruses that your evolution as hosts to such relies on effective annihilation of anything that dares try to eat you, especially as that which eats the things which infect them.

It makes sense continued pressure in that direction will always be followed. Take the message: don't eat bats.

The 2012 event (probably a Covid version but never confirmed) was miners, not bat-eaters. People around bats, jumps will happen.
The point is, don't fuck with bats.

I do not expect anything less of a creature whose diet consists somewhat or greatly in many of it's familial quarters of fresh blood meals of all species on earth, from high frequency vectors.

Mosquitoes are fucking disgusting though, so thanks bats for eating them! Eat more of them, please.

Mea culpa.

It would be nice to find broad spectrum coronavirus vaccine, but we should really leave bats alone.

With regards to mining and other bat adjacent activities, I saw a video about a well designed robotic arm using artificial fiber muscles. The mobility was pretty fantastic! I imagine we are not all that far off from remote piloting one like a video game and mining that way, when it's necessary. Can't get black lung from a VR headset. Just need good enough assist, and for the love of fuck, back up the ML substructure on a regular basis.

And don't fuck with bats.

Only female mosquitoes bite. But it's hard to see thier genitals.

They have opened up booster shots to everyone over 18 who got the J&J originally. My son got that one in March as it was the only one available locally at that time, and he got the Moderna booster today. He was very pleased.

Ruth

Do you think it will or should happen that a booster for a first JJ shot will be required?
Will happen? Very likely, from what I read. Should happen? Absolutely. Even scientists are saying that the J&J should have been a two shot vaccine to begin with, like the others. Even with two doses, though, the protection is less than the mRNA shots, so I suspect the J&J vaccine will probably fade out of existence due to lack of use.

Ruth

The J&J effectiveness for two shots was comparable to the mrna ones, and J&J has shown less waning than the mrnas.

I got the J&J and will get a booster but go with Moderna as well, just to cover my bases better hopefully. I don't think a booster is so necessary for my own health at this time, but I will get it because I will be in contact with some higher risk family members.

All time record deaths per day and infections per day in Russia. And one woman who thought if she gets infected from someone with mild case of Covid she would have mild case as well. She purposely infected herself and her children. Husband too. She is dead now from Covid.

I'll eat your galaxy.
what does it mean?

Meanwhile both records were broken today again.
Help me understand why Russians are not getting the jab. I think they're at 32%. The U.S. for all it's idiotic anti-vaxxers is at 56%. What's with the Russians? A BBC article I read says the Russian people really don't trust the authorities and so don't trust the Russian vaccines. Is that all it is?

Speaking of idiotic antivaxxers,

Maga and BLM loons united in an insurrection for stupidity.

FDA advisers back Pfizer's COVID-19 vaccine for kids 5 to 11 years old - CBS News
"I do think we need it as a tool in our armamentarium for high risk children, for equity issues, for parents who really would like to protect their children, and because of the long term, very profound implications of schools being disrupted," Dr. Mark Sawyer, one of the panel's members, said ahead of the vote.

Seventeen members of the committee voted in favor of authorizing the shots, and one abstained.

"Far from being spared from this harm of COVID-19, in the 5-to-11-year-old age range there have been over 1.9 million infections, over 8,300 hospitalizations, about a third of which have required intensive care unit stays, and over 2,500 cases of multisystem inflammatory disorder from COVID-19," Dr. Peter Marks, the FDA's top vaccines official, told the panel as it began its meeting.

The FDA's advisers were also presented with figures tallying the growing toll of the disease in younger children, underscoring a public health need to avert more severe cases and other disruptions from COVID-19 outbreaks.

"There have also been close to 100 [COVID-19] deaths, making it one of the top 10 causes of death in this age range during this time," added Marks.

"Vaccinating children has other large societal benefits: for example, children likely play an important role in transmission and vaccinating children can help reach herd immunity," Dr. William Gruber, Pfizer's senior vice president of vaccine clinical research and development, told the panel.

In weighing the risks of Pfizer's vaccine, much of the panel's discussion focused on concerns over rare cases of heart inflammation known as myocarditis and pericarditis, seen mostly in younger male recipients of the mRNA-based vaccines made by Pfizer and Moderna.
No word on Moderna or J&J vaccines for anyone under 18, and no word on the Pfizer vaccine for anyone under 5.

Received a booster shot today. Watching for reaction.
Meanwhile daily infections/deaths are setting records every day in Russia.

Yah. What's with the Ruskies? 32% is nothing to brag about.

Yah. What's with the Ruskies? 32% is nothing to brag about.
I blame US interference (facebook&Co promoting antivaxers)

I note in particular that May 13 story and the July 27 story. May 13 cases were going down rapidly. Then what happened? July 27 Delta was taking over and the unvaccinated were spreading it like a wild fire.

I saw in an article that Moscow was having another sort of shutdown. I saw another article Gov. DeSantis is celebrating the dropping of Covid-19 cases in Florida to very low levels... from the near record high ones a couple months ago.

America is fucked.

The last headline in that image may be the stupidest to include,

covid deaths by vax status.JPG

Back
Top Bottom