• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Covid-19 miscellany

Ron DeSantis Is on Team COVID, and Damn Whatever Happens to Florida - "The Florida governor has been waging a war on public health, with predictably horrifying results."
Politicians are often derided as opportunists; but Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis recently took things to a new level—by killing his supporters for political gain.

In July, a virologist on the faculty of Florida Medical College warned that the highly transmissible Delta variant of the COVID-19 virus was about to cause a massive new wave of illness and death within the state’s still large unvaccinated population. “If you have a functioning set of lungs and no immunity, this virus will find you,” he said.
Instead, he declared war on mask mandates and vaccine mandates. All in the name of "freedom", and without even saying "I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees".

It's evident to me that he and Greg Abbott of Texas both think that viruses ought to have more reproductive rights than members of our species.

I remember being brought down by a nasty intestinal bug and thinking about how it was a primitive sort of organism much like the earliest ones on our planet, and now we are being attacked by an even simpler organism, one that uses our cells' replication mechanisms to reproduce itself.

Austria and Germany impose restrictions on unvaccinated people as COVID cases surge : Coronavirus Updates : NPR
Austria has placed some 2 million unvaccinated people on partial lockdown, while neighboring Germany has reintroduced free coronavirus testing, as the two countries contend with soaring rates of COVID-19 amid a Europe-wide wave of new infections.

Unvaccinated people in Austria will only be allowed to leave their homes for work, food shopping or emergencies, according to the new mandate beginning Monday.

Police are conducting spot checks of digital vaccine certificates, though there's skepticism about how effectively the lockdown can be enforced.

Meanwhile, the Netherlands Saturday night imposed a partial lockdown that is set to remain in place for at least three weeks, amid a surge in COVID-19 cases that have put a severe strain on Dutch hospitals.

The measures will limit hours for bars, restaurants and supermarkets. There is also a limit of four guests per household, and spectators are once again banned from sporting events.

New Delhi air pollution is so bad, officials call for a lockdown : NPR
India's Supreme Court is calling for a lockdown in the capital, New Delhi. It's because of a health emergency, but it's not about COVID-19. It's about air pollution.

At a hearing Monday, justices ordered authorities to halt all nonessential travel on roads in the national capital region. They also told them to close offices in the area, shifting tens of millions of people to work from home.

New Delhi's schools are already closed this week because of air pollution that's been about four times the safe limit. Construction sites are also on pause, which will ultimately slow the economy.

This is all because of toxic smog across much of northern India. It happens every winter as industrial and vehicular emissions mix with smoke from crop-burning after the harvest.

QAnon and Trump-Flag Waving Anti-Vaxxers Tried to Storm New Zealand’s Parliament
Almost a year after the Capitol riot, anti-vaccine mandate protesters in New Zealand attempted to storm the country’s parliament on Tuesday. And just like at the riot in Washington D.C. on January 6, many of those protesting were waving American flags, supporting former President Trump, and spouting QAnon conspiracies.

Protests took place across New Zealand on Tuesday, organized by anti-vaxxer groups critical of the vaccine mandate introduced by Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern and her government. The biggest protest took place in the capital Wellington on Tuesday, which saw thousands of protesters descend on the parliament in scenes eerily reminiscent of the attack on the Capitol.

Prior to the protests on Tuesday, organizers had urged those attending to storm the parliament building. “A group of 1000 people can storm in and get her and her supporters and arrest them for treason,” a user in one Telegram group used to organize the protest wrote. “Or shoot them. If we don’t have guns, shoot them up with a triple dose of Pfizer.”

In the past, many non-U.S. QAnon groups have dramatically changed the conspiracy theories to their specific sociopolitical and cultural environments. As QAnon emerged from fringe websites like 8chan, early adopters took the messages posted by the anonymous leader Q and interpreted or decoded them to fit their own narratives.

But in Wellington on Tuesday, the QAnon supporters were waving Trump flags, suggesting they had bought into the narrative coming out of the U.S. wholesale.
henry cooke on Twitter: "Bunch of QAnon protestors here who earnestly believe Jacinda Ardern was arrested two years ago in the White House and is wearing an ankle bracelet. (link)" / Twitter

Watch a Beverly Hills Anti-Vaxxer Scream at School Kids Vaccines Are ‘Rape’ - "A group of militant anti-vaccine activists protested children walking to school in Beverly Hills on Wednesday."

Jebus!

article said:
Ryan Drock, who also was infected but recovered from COVID, told the Post he's not giving up.

“I’m hoping they name a law after her so no one has to go through this,” Drock said. “If she had walked out of the hospital she could have had the medication.”
It is becoming a mental illness. His wife, 47 years old, would very likely never been hospitalized had she been vaccinated. Instead, she wasn't, and her husband thinks she died because the hospital wouldn't give her a medication that doesn't help treat Covid-19 infection. He is going to be angry for years at the only people that actually tried to save her life, despite all of the awful advice she listened to from others before being infected that led to her wrong decision to not be vaccinated.

And the Northeast is seeing increases. They are starting low, so it isn't like the South with their waves, at least not yet. The connection might be the cold, more stuff indoors. The other consideration is Halloween. Cases seemed to stop dropping then.

With vaccination of 5 to 11, hopefully that will hold back contractions in a very noticeable way. I talked with the Nurse this morning and she said vaccination numbers for 5 to 11 have been positive, a good even flow since they started poking adolescents. Unfortunately, we won't know about breakthroughs in vax'd children via Delta for a bit.

greek antivaxers got screwed. They paid 400 euro for fake vaccine shots,....... except it was real :)

greek antivaxers got screwed. They paid 400 euro for fake vaccine shots,....... except it was real :)
I suppose it's mean to laugh...

He said while sniggering.
Tom

How sick is America? How's this. Company job postings advertising "No Vaccine Required"

I wonder if vaccinated employees will start quitting these places. If I was not retiring soon and if I had not been full time remote prior to the pandemic, I'd refuse to go into the office if vaccines were not required. I'll be needed to hire a plumber soon. I'll be insisting that the plumber who comes into my house be vaccinated.

Those who are sane and understand that vaccination is necessary to beat this thing need to push back on companies that take this incredibly short term view.

I feel sorry for them, actually. Some are probably desperate. I know from another website a Greek antivaxer who a couple of months ago was willing to get infected and isolate for two weeks to protect others, but was very worried because that was not allowed and he was worried that vaccines would become mandatory. He kinda got it right, though it's not as strong a mandate as in Austria I think.

Btw, how are you feeling? Have you recovered completely yet?

Almost 3 weeks now.
Except for sense of smell and some coughing I am perfectly fine.
Both are improving too. I noticed that I smell complex chemicals much better than simple ones like alcohol and vinegar.
Basically 3 days of high temperature, then 3 days of almost normal (36.8)
and after that it got better. I would call it a mild case.

Almost 3 weeks now.
Except for sense of smell and some coughing I am perfectly fine.
Both are improving too. I noticed that I smell complex chemicals much better than simple ones like alcohol and vinegar.
Basically 3 days of high temperature, then 3 days of almost normal (36.8)
and after that it got better. I would call it mild case.
Good to hear that you're doing better :) ,yeah, it looks like a mild case. I hope you fully recover soon.

In Victoria Australia non-vacinated people have been banned from most stores but not supermarkets and pharmacies...

Ridiculous. It’s disappointing that so many people go along with this shit.

Meanwhile in Rotterdam, violent protests are taking place against fascist lockdowns.

Last edited:

Meanwhile in Rotterdam, violent protests are taking place against fascist lockdowns.

Violent protests, you say?

Hey, Rittenhouse, duty calls!

Austria will enter lockdown and make COVID-19 vaccines mandatory : NPR
Austria will go into a national lockdown to contain a fourth wave of coronavirus cases, Chancellor Alexander Schallenberg announced Friday, as new COVID-19 infections hit a record high amid a pandemic surge across Europe.

The lockdown will start Monday and initially will last for 10 days, Schallenberg said.

And starting Feb. 1, the country will also make vaccinations mandatory.

Most stores will close, and cultural events will be canceled next week. People will be able to leave their homes only for certain specific reasons, including buying groceries, going to the doctor or exercising.

Wolfgang Mueckstein, the country's health minister, said that kindergartens and schools would remain open for those who needed to go there but all parents were asked to keep their children at home if possible.

Austria's intensive care doctors welcomed the government's decision.

"The record infection figures that we have now experienced day after day will only be reflected in normal and intensive care units with a time lag. It really is high time for a full stop," Walter Hasibeder, the president of the Society for Anesthesiology, Resuscitation and Intensive Care Medicine, told Austrian news agency APA.

"Given the current infection developments, we believe there are no alternatives to even greater contact restriction than recently, so any measures that help curb the momentum are welcome," he added.
So that lockdown is being imposed for a reason, and the reason is not control freakishness for the sake of control freakishness.

Besides banning the non-vaxxed from most shops, Melbourne has also had the longest lockdowns in the world and big protests - including nooses and days later a working gallows -

Apparently they have around 90% vaccinated and might to go to 94%.

Two months ago the police tried to stop protests by shutting down the CBD for several hours:

The government is trying to pass laws to fine people $90,000 or lock them up for 2 years for not wearing a mask... but then they decided to halve the fines....

Shocker.

Of the study sample, 17.2% (N = 1842) indicated they were hesitant about having the vaccine. After adjustment for age, sex, and ethnicity, study members with a lower baseline cognition score were markedly more likely to be vaccine hesitant (odds ratio per standard deviation lower score in cognition; 95% confidence interval: 1.76; 1.62, 1.90).

Interesting. So the intelligent anti-vaxxers are actually outliers. That confirms to me that their stance is more likely to be taken as a result of personal egoism and desire to make themselves important, as they are the ones pushing the conspiracy theories.

Ruth

Interesting. So the intelligent anti-vaxxers are actually outliers. That confirms to me that their stance is more likely to be taken as a result of personal egoism and desire to make themselves important, as they are the ones pushing the conspiracy theories.
I wouldn't want to jump to conclusions about that about the more intelligent sort of anti-vaxxers, even though I consider the anti-vaxx position difficult to support. Some of them may be doing as a way of owning the libs, for instance.

Back
Top Bottom