• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Covid-19 miscellany

Time to lift all restrictions and stop with the vaccination, mask mandates/passports etc;
Why? Because they're working?

The vaccines may aid somewhat, but everything else is crap.
The vaccines are providing more than a magnitude of improvement and prevention. So it isn't "may". They are. How the hell did partisanship become so warped, that people like you are making these ridiculous arguments?

How many people who’ve had the Polio vaccine got Polio? The Covid vaccines do not stop infection or transmission. But you’re probably still better off getting it. Everything else - the masks, social distancing, lockdowns- is just for show. Those have become pure partisan politics, as there’s no science those measures do much at all. Was in Florida recently, and the freedom was wonderful. The Branch Covidians hate that.

Time to lift all restrictions and stop with the vaccination, mask mandates/passports etc;
Why? Because they're working?

The vaccines may aid somewhat, but everything else is crap.
The vaccines are providing more than a magnitude of improvement and prevention. So it isn't "may". They are. How the hell did partisanship become so warped, that people like you are making these ridiculous arguments?

The Covid vaccines do not stop infection or transmission.
False.
But you’re probably still better off getting it.
Probably? No, are. Are better getting it. By far. It isn't remotely up for question. Been confirmed everywhere. Even with the milder Omicron, 10 or 20 to 1 unvax'd in hospitals to vax'd.
Everything else - the masks, social distancing, lockdowns- is just for show. Those have become pure partisan politics, as there’s science those measures do much at all. Was in Florida recently, and the freedom was wonderful. The Branch Covidians hate that.
Yeah, insanity. You are bitching about how the vaccine isn't stopping transmission, but then whine about masks, of which properly worn N95 WOULD STOP TRANSMISSION.

That freedom got a lot of people killed, more than Vietnam.

Supreme Court just struck down Biden’s large company mandate, but let the health care worker mandate stand.
SCOTUS Decision

Really, this is one of those, should be 9-0 or 8-1 with Thomas dissenting types of decisions.

No really. An agency has narrow authority from Congress to make rules. Congress has never provided vaccine authority to OSHA. If there be a vaccine mandate, let Congress vote on it.

Supreme Court just struck down Biden’s large company mandate, but let the health care worker mandate stand.
SCOTUS Decision

Really, this is one of those, should be 9-0 or 8-1 with Thomas dissenting types of decisions.

No really. An agency has narrow authority from Congress to make rules. Congress has never provided vaccine authority to OSHA. If there be a vaccine mandate, let Congress vote on it.
Except OSHA deals with workplace safety. This pandemic is a workplace issue everywhere. SCOTUS could have easily let it be, instead of relying on technicalities to meddle in public health.

There is no evidence to suggest the vaccine is no better than saline solution to preventing transmission. It isn't "effective" at stopping transmission, which isn't black and white term. The vaccinated are less likely to get it, just not significantly less likely anymore.
There was a South Africa study back in December that said pfizer vaccine was 30% effective at stopping transmission of omicron vs 80% for delta. When I see a "..." in a quote of a public health official, I have to wonder if there is bigger context here. But anyway, when omicron is so fricking contagious and spreading probably from multiple people around you 30% is pretty much 0 when in comparison to delta, you have like 1 person around you with it and 80% chance of stopping it. So, it's also possible she was just trying to put the practical reality of omicron spreading on the table for laymen and to underscore how important mask wearing is in addition to vaxxing and thraxxing. Full quote with context needed to confirm, but it's not the first time she's been quote-mined or edited out...

The vaccinated are less likely to get it, just not significantly less likely anymore.

LOL. Eleven out of eleven people at my house on Christmas day got the covid. Every single person had been double dosed, some had gotten a booster including myself about a week before Christmas. So on that evidence, I personally will not be participating in vaccination any further and will rail against all mandates.

This is not about public health.

The vaccinated are less likely to get it, just not significantly less likely anymore.

LOL. Eleven out of eleven people at my house on Christmas day got the covid.
Oh goody, anecdotal evidence... THE BEST!

My Xmas brunch, none of us were stupid to get it and in NE Ohio, we have a Delta and Omicron wave.
Every single person had been double dosed, some had gotten a booster including myself about a week before Christmas. So on that evidence, I personally will not be participating in vaccination any further and will rail against all mandates.
Man, talk about poor decision making. Vaccinated people are more than a magnitude less likely from being hospitalized and are dying much less than unvax'd. TSwizzle see's this info and thinks because he got breakthrough, it isn't worth it.

No, none of your posts have about that.

Meanwhile, in just how well things are going, several states have the National Guard in hospitals, because there aren't enough people to handle the cases of Covid-19. Ohio, Oregon, New Hampshire, Hawaii, Rhode Island, Minnesota, California, etc...

19 states have fewer than 15% of their ICUs available.

This will wind down in short time, but again, we've got a lot of people out there telling companies their employees in the National Guard can't do their job, that the hospital workers have to just suck it up some more, because they just don't have a clue.

Meanwhile, in just how well things are going, several states have the National Guard in hospitals, because there aren't enough people to handle the cases of Covid-19. Ohio, Oregon, New Hampshire, Hawaii, Rhode Island, Minnesota, California, etc...

19 states have fewer than 15% of their ICUs available.

This will wind down in short time, but again, we've got a lot of people out there telling companies their employees in the National Guard can't do their job, that the hospital workers have to just suck it up some more, because they just don't have a clue.

I thought president Biden was going to shut this virus down?

Let's Go Brandon !!

LOL. Eleven out of eleven people at my house on Christmas day got the covid. Every single person had been double dosed, some had gotten a booster including myself about a week before Christmas. So on that evidence, I personally will not be participating in vaccination any further and will rail against all mandates.

So you didn't wear a mask, thinking that each incident you became exposed from family, you were safe from it????? That's crazy! And you didn't quarantine each person who got it? That's crazy, too! Fortunately, the effects from omicron are much less severe.

You can always tell if someone isn't taking the mask seriously when they have not pinched the top to fit the nose. If he has even worn that other than on his chin he has not pinched it at the nose.
The one he is wearing does not have metal strip for nose.
You can't tell. Some masks like that have a wire over the nose. When the mask is flat in the package the wire is flat, but it's there and you can bend it to fit your nose.
true

Oh goody, anecdotal evidence... THE BEST!

It is anecdotal to you but since it actually happened to me I go by my own experiences.

Man, talk about poor decision making. Vaccinated people are more than a magnitude less likely from being hospitalized and are dying much less than unvax'd. TSwizzle see's this info and thinks because he got breakthrough, it isn't worth it.

Not to me it's not but you are of course free to make your own choices.

The Australian government's treatment of Novak Djokovic is shameful.

I agree entirely.

He should have been deported without delay, and banned from returning for five years, like any other person whose visa is revoked at the border.

Allowing him and his family to turn this simple and common process into a media circus due to his wealth and fame is a total disgrace.
The Australian government's treatment of Novak Djokovic is shameful.

I agree entirely.

He should have been deported without delay, and banned from returning for five years, like any other person whose visa is revoked at the border.
Why ought he have been deported without delay? Djokovic obtained an exemption from the government.

In its submission to the court, the federal government argued Djokovic should not be exempt from vaccination requirements for international travellers.

Both Tennis Australia and the Victorian government had granted him a medical exemption to compete despite not meeting vaccine requirements, due to his recent COVID-19 infection.

On arrival last week, Border Force officials revoked his visa, and the judge ruled Djokovic was not given a reasonable period to respond.

Allowing him and his family to turn this simple and common process into a media circus due to his wealth and fame is a total disgrace.
Djokovic did no such thing. He did not deceive anybody. He applied for and was granted an exemption.

If the Australian government's position is now 'we changed our mind', there is still no reason to ban him for five years.
Your post is out of date: it turns out 1. that he (or his agent) lied, er, accidentally entered false information on his entry form as to whether he had been anywhere else but his home country in the period before entering Australia, and 2. that he either lied to Australia about his positive COVID test in December or he broke Serbian law by galivanting about in public, maskless, in Serbia after receiving his positive test.

Last edited:

By "lift all restrictions", do you mean that private concerns should be forced to abide by your preference? Should private employers, stores, health care providers, and venues be forced to lift restrictions that they deem reasonable?

Should the government be given the power to enforce compliance on private concerns?
Or what?
Tom

Well, finally I'm getting my booster shot tomorrow - somewhat late, but it could have been worse.

They tell me it's a Pfizer vaccine (after 2 doses of AZ). Over here, Pfizer's vaccine have been authorized for use up to 90 days after the expiration date (not to throw them away then they expire, perhaps due to mismanagement), and it seems a considerable percentage are indeed expired, though I do not know the actual numbers.
I'm not sure what impact - if any - that would have on effectiveness if I get an expired vaccine. I know many drugs are okay after the expiration date, but I'm not sure for how long that would be for the Pfizer vaccine.
Best wishes. I hope you don't get an expired vaccine booster.

Not to me it's not but you are of course free to make your own choices.
Like seat belts and stop signs. Everyone is free to ignore. And DUI too. I love freedom but some people confuse freedom with the right to inflict harm on others. Gotta love 'em.

Back
Top Bottom