• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Crazed Pastor Greg Locke Dissolves Tax Exempt Status

ZiprHead

Loony Running The Asylum
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Don't be a dick.
Tennessee Pastor Greg Locke told his congregation that he and his lawyer have dissolved their 501c3 status because he refuses to adhere to the rules that govern all nonprofits.

On May 17th, I wrote about his latest very dangerous hate speech, wherein he attacked any person who identifies as a Democrat.

"You vote Democrat, I don't want you around this church, you can get out! You can get out you demon -- election thief."
He screamed, "You cannot be a Christian and vote Democrat in this nation."
Locke said, "They want to talk about the insurrection...hmmmm. Let me tell you something, you ain't seen an insurrection yet."
The Americans United for the Separation of Church and State filed a complaint against Locke's demagoguery and violations of the tax laws, which was apparently the kick in the ass he needed to dissolve his "church's" tax-free status all on his own.

Locke’s remarks violated the Johnson Amendment, a nearly 70-year-old federal law that prevents nonprofits, including houses of worship, from endorsing or opposing political parties or candidates.

Communist??? Moron!

I had thought about starting a thread about him in the religious section, since he is more evidence of how immoral and nasty conservative Christians can be. This one is exceptionally nuts. I do wonder how many more are out there like him.

I don't think the Johnson amendment has been enforced in years. When Trump ran, churches were openly praising him and telling their congregations to support him. My mother's pastor told people not to vote for Obama, which upset my Obama supporting mother. She didn't have the courage to stand up to her pastor.

This nut job pastor is an example of why we should all be concerned about the rising influence of White Christian Nationalism.

This nut job pastor is an example of why we should all be concerned about the rising influence of White Christian Nationalism.

I belong to a very small (fewer than 300 members) private online religious group composed of people who shudder every time we see something like this. One of the questions asked of prospective members is "Can a Christian vote for a Democrat?". If you say no, you are not allowed to join. If you lie and then start pushing that kind of nonsense once you are admitted, you are instabanned. No warnings, just gone.

It is truly sad that those of us with faith have to give ourselves a place to discuss religious/political topics that is safe from the rantings of people like that - or come to forums like this one where we can find rational people to discuss these topics with :biggrina:

Ruth

I belong to a very small (fewer than 300 members) private online religious group composed of people who shudder every time we see something like this. One of the questions asked of prospective members is "Can a Christian vote for a Democrat?". If you say no, you are not allowed to join. If you lie and then start pushing that kind of nonsense once you are admitted, you are instabanned. No warnings, just gone.

It is truly sad that those of us with faith have to give ourselves a place to discuss religious/political topics that is safe from the rantings of people like that - or come to forums like this one where we can find rational people to discuss these topics with :biggrina:

Ruth
Sorry that. you have had to deal with peers who have gone off the deep end. My mother, before she acquired dementia, was a conservative Christian, yet oddly enough, she often vented about her church folks to her atheist daughter. She knew I left Christianity around the age of 18, but we never let that interfere with our relationship.

Some of her church friends tried to convince her that Obama was a Marxist or a Muslim, as if that makes any sense. Her pastor told the congregation not to vote for him. Her friends begged her not to vote for him. Happily, she voted her conscience and never listened to her friends. I begged her to stand up to her pastor and remind him that the church was to stay out of politics, but she's always avoided conflict so that was out of the question.

I think it got worse after that. A few years ago, while trying to assess her cognition, I asked her who the president was. After a long pause, she said, "Please don't tell me it's Trump". I told her he was president and she got very upset and told me I had ruined her day. I promised never to let her know again that he had been elected. Sadly, he had the support of the majority of evangelicals. She is 96 and totally confused now. At least she is unaware of what happened to her religion.

When I was a child the evangelical church I was forced to attend, at least stayed out of politics. While I totally disagree with their beliefs, at least they supported the separation of church and state. That sure has changed in recent years.

As someone who remains a Christian, do you have any opinions as to why this has happened?

Well, I really don’t have any proof but I personally think that the inception of this mindset came when white evangelicals realized they were becoming the minority in the faith community. This was due to our country’s previously fairly liberal immigration policies bringing in people of all races and faiths who then joined together to form local faith organizations. As their numbers grew, the formerly powerful white evangelical leaders found that they no longer had the unquestioned allegiance of the general public which they expected as a birthright.

So it goes back to power again, just like in the other discussion of the current SBC turmoil over abuse. And any time someone feels like they are losing power that they are accustomed to wielding, they are going to react – violently.

Typically, immigration has been a keystone in the Democratic party plank. So the disaffected white evangelicals started pushing back on open immigration policies and proclaiming that the Democrats were trying to “destroy the Christian foundation of the US”. The Republican party saw an opening, and took it. When they repeated this lie long enough and loud enough, they convinced a good percent of the population that all of their problems could be laid at the door of the Democrats liberal immigration policies.

This encouraged white evangelical power structures to associate government with their loss of prestige in the community. So they went “all in”, so to speak. Unfortunately, many people of faith believed them and that has led to our current situation.

Ruth

Well, I really don’t have any proof but I personally think that the inception of this mindset came when white evangelicals realized they were becoming the minority in the faith community. This was due to our country’s previously fairly liberal immigration policies bringing in people of all races and faiths who then joined together to form local faith organizations. As their numbers grew, the formerly powerful white evangelical leaders found that they no longer had the unquestioned allegiance of the general public which they expected as a birthright.

So it goes back to power again, just like in the other discussion of the current SBC turmoil over abuse. And any time someone feels like they are losing power that they are accustomed to wielding, they are going to react – violently.

Typically, immigration has been a keystone in the Democratic party plank. So the disaffected white evangelicals started pushing back on open immigration policies and proclaiming that the Democrats were trying to “destroy the Christian foundation of the US”. The Republican party saw an opening, and took it. When they repeated this lie long enough and loud enough, they convinced a good percent of the population that all of their problems could be laid at the door of the Democrats liberal immigration policies.

This encouraged white evangelical power structures to associate government with their loss of prestige in the community. So they went “all in”, so to speak. Unfortunately, many people of faith believed them and that has led to our current situation.

Ruth
You may be right about that. Since I haven't been in a church in decades, you probably have a better understanding of how some of these men think, or don't think.

It does seem a bit paranoid, since the majority of Democrats are probably Christians and most of us atheists couldn't care less if someone is a Christian, as long as they don't try to mix it up with government or force it on others.

Oh wait! I know. Evangelicals and other conservative sects of Christianity often believe that those who hold more liberal views of Christianity are going to hell. At least that's what I was taught when I was a child, who was forced to attend church. I was encouraged to "witness" to my Catholic friends so they would be saved from hell. I guess some of these people honestly believe they are in some kind of god inspired fight to destroy the evil godless Democrats. So, maybe it's about power, and maybe it's about extremely cult like behavior, group think can create. Or, maybe we just live in a time when conspiracy theories are embraced by large bodies of people.

Hopefully, this movement isn't as large as we sometimes think. It's hard to know, since most Christians seem like decent people, at least the more moderate or liberal ones do. On the other hand, an awful lot of Christians became full blown MAGAs.

Tithing Tax has a nice ring to it.

Hopefully, this movement isn't as large as we sometimes think. It's hard to know, since most Christians seem like decent people, at least the more moderate or liberal ones do. On the other hand, an awful lot of Christians became full blown MAGAs.
I think the trouble is, the movement itself isn't huge, but their influence on elections is. That is how tyranny of the minority can occur.

Back
Top Bottom