• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Cultural Appropriation

Experience is that people generally like it when someone else partakes in their culture. “Cultural appropriation” is just one of those luxury beliefs that make Westerners insufferable. Is this cultural appropriation or celebration?

No idea. What's their intention? That's my simplistic approach to alleged cases of cultural appropriation.

Experience is that people generally like it when someone else partakes in their culture. “Cultural appropriation” is just one of those luxury beliefs that make Westerners insufferable. Is this cultural appropriation or celebration?

No idea. What's their intention? That's my simplistic approach to alleged cases of cultural appropriation.

Same, though I focus on the intent and not on some silly label. It's a bad label insofar as it's easy for someone to hear the words and come away with a bad understanding of what philosophical harm is actually being inflicted.

To me, one can ask if this contributes to the erosion and loss of truth within a society about the history of people and their myths. And by "truth" I do not intend to say "what is true of the world", but rather "what they truly thought throughout time was the truth; the true history of the evolution of their myths, legends, and histories."

Back
Top Bottom