• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Cutting Back :: Plans to Lessen Dependence on Fossil Fuels

JonA

Basic Beliefs
Agnostic Theism
This thread is being started specifically to discuss comments made by some in the thread Why are so-called "progressives" and "liberals" so deferential to religious nonsense by Indians? regarding the feasibility of reducing - to varying degrees - our societies' use of fossil fuels.

While several claims were made, we'll start with the comment by KeepTalking (the only participant in that thread who has so far taken up the challenge to support their position):

We can reduce our reliance on coal and foreign oil without harming people and destroying the environment in the way that fracking does. >>

And as KeepTalking has reminded me to restrict my questions to things specifically related to the claim above, I will remind all participants here that I put this thread in the science forums precisely because I expect a technical handling of the topic (as I think my following questions make clear).

Now, the claim is a big one, and I don't expect KeepTalking to address it all in one go, so I'm going to break it into sections based on my own questions for him/her:

1. ... reduce our reliance on coal and foreign oil ...
    • What are the specific reduction levels being proposed? An answer that measures the fuel itself or the energy derived from it will be acceptable.
    • How will the reductions be achieved? For example, will it be through use of alternative sources of energy? Lifestyle changes?
  2. ... without harming people ... the way that fracking does
    • How are we measuring the harm?
    • Once we have the metric, what are the levels of harm under the 'reduce reliance' scenario and under the 'fracking' scenario?
  3. ... destroying the environment in the way that fracking does
    • What specifically is being destroyed?
    • What destruction, if any, occurs under the 'reduce reliance' scenario?
    • Can we demonstrate that the destruction is less under one or the other?

So here are the technical aspects of the claim. I'd also like to explore the overall implications of the scenarios proposed once they've been all laid out (such as claims regarding costs in the linked-to post).

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I am the guest of honor here, I feel so... honored, I guess?

This thread is being started specifically to discuss comments made by some in the thread Why are so-called "progressives" and "liberals" so deferential to religious nonsense by Indians? regarding the feasibility of reducing - to varying degrees - our societies' use of fossil fuels.

While several claims were made, we'll start with the comment by KeepTalking (the only participant in that thread who has so far taken up the challenge to support their position):

We can reduce our reliance on coal and foreign oil without harming people and destroying the environment in the way that fracking does. >>

And as KeepTalking has reminded me to restrict my questions to things specifically related to the claim above, I will remind all participants here that I put this thread in the science forums precisely because I expect a technical handling of the topic (as I think my following questions make clear).

Well, the Science forum, eh? Quite fancy. While I am willing to back up my assertion, if you are expecting some kind of technical blueprint, or even a detailed policy discussion, I would suggest you seek out someone else. As far as your dictating the exact terms and conditions as to how things will flow, this isn't a formal debate, and I prefer to just roll with things as they come. Don't be disappointed if I don't adhere to your rules.

Now, the claim is a big one, and I don't expect KeepTalking to address it all in one go, so I'm going to break it into sections based on my own questions for him/her:

You would do that for me?! Awesome! I didn't know you cared, you aren't dating anyone, are you?

-- ... reduce our reliance on coal and foreign oil ... -- What are the specific reduction levels being proposed?

Wait, wut? I'm not making a proposal. If you want a proposal, check out the Green Party link that untermensche posted.

An answer that measures the fuel itself or the energy derived from it will be acceptable.

How cute of you to tell me what will be acceptable.

-- How will the reductions be achieved? For example, will it be through use of alternative sources of energy?

Nuclear, wind, and various forms of solar derived energy should do it to help get us off coal. While we are working on that, we invest more in hybrids (in the short term), and EVs as well as the infrastructure to support them. As more and more of our vehicles start to derive their energy from the grid, we will have less and less use for oil.

Lifestyle changes? -- ... without harming people ... the way that fracking does -- How are we measuring the harm?

Observation.

Burning fossil fuels is pumping toxins into the air we breathe, and is causing climate change that may have catastrophic consequences. Measuring this harm is nearly impossible to do, be we can certainly observe that it is happening. Fracking is a particularly destructive method of harvesting fossil fuels, but it suffers from the same basic problem of air pollution that all other oil, as well as coal, suffers from

-- Once we have the metric, what are the levels of harm under the 'reduce reliance' scenario and under the 'fracking' scenario?

Scenario 1:
Reduce reliance on fossil fuels = less harm to people and the environment from fossil fuels (I don't think this is in dispute).

Scenario 2:
Let the dirty frackers continue to frack the shit out of fracking everything they fracking want = more harm to people and the environment because we are using more fossil fuels, and because fracking is particularly destructive as a method of harvesting fossil fuel.

-- ... destroying the environment in the way that fracking does -- What specifically is being destroyed? -- What destruction, if any, occurs under the 'reduce reliance' scenario? -- Can we demonstrate that the destruction is less under one or the other?

If you would have kept this in Derec's dirty fracking Koch sucking thread, you could have just quoted what I posted there, and followed our discussion regarding the various ways in which fracking is harmful to people and the environment. Here is the Reader's Digest Condensed Posts version:

-Contamination of wells, aquifers, and ground water with the chemicals used in fracking.
-Increased seismic activity due to fracking.
-Diversion of water resources, contributing to droughts.
-Release of methane from far underground, contributing further to anthropomorphic climate change.

So here are the technical aspects of the claim. I'd also like to explore the overall implications of the scenarios proposed once they've been all laid out (such as claims regarding costs in the linked-to post).

Since you want me to put so much time into technically detailing the pitfalls of fracking, why don't you set a good example for me, and provide an exhausting technical treatise on "why fracking is so good for the world, and not just an example of unbridled greed with no concern for anything but profit". Or whatever your working hypothesis might be. Maybe that will help me to come around to your way of doing things.

Last edited by a moderator:
Something is screwed in this page

Yes. KeepTalking, supreme master of computer coding, can't figure out how to close a list tag.

:humph:

1) Using tags on a web page is scripting, not coding. Please educate yourself as to the difference.

2) Failing to close a tag, any tag, in a quick reply should not effect anything outside of the post in which the failure to close the tag occurred.

3) Failing to close a tag, any tag, in a quick reply should be caught by the editor when the user attempts to submit the reply, and afford them the opportunity to fix the issue before the post is finalized. This did not happen.

4) I did not add any list tags to my post, I only preserved the tags you provided in the post I quoted. The only tags that I added were opening and closing quote tags.

5) Kindly go fuck yourself.

Though KeepTalking's repeated wasting of my time landed him/her on my ignore list, I'm going to reply to this specific post since RayJ went through the trouble of fixing the tortured coding on it. :)

-- ... reduce our reliance on coal and foreign oil ... -- What are the specific reduction levels being proposed?

Wait, wut? I'm not making a proposal. If you want a proposal, check out the Green Party link that untermensche posted.

Quibbling over my use of the word 'proposed' is not an answer to the question of what amount of reduction KT is talking about when making the claim "We could reduce our reliance on coal and foreign oil..."

How much could we reduce it?

An answer that measures the fuel itself or the energy derived from it will be acceptable.

Not an answer.

-- How will the reductions be achieved? For example, will it be through use of alternative sources of energy?

Nuclear, wind, and various forms of solar derived energy should do it to help get us off coal.

Also; not an answer.

How much nuclear? How many windmills or solar panels?

While we are working on that, we invest more in hybrids (in the short term), and EVs as well as the infrastructure to support them. As more and more of our vehicles start to derive their energy from the grid, we will have less and less use for oil.

What are the numbers? KT promised evidence yet offers here only vague speculation.

... without harming people ... the way that fracking does -- How are we measuring the harm?

Observation.

Another non-answer.

Burning fossil fuels is pumping toxins into the air we breathe, and is causing climate change that may have catastrophic consequences. Measuring this harm is nearly impossible to do, be we can certainly observe that it is happening. Fracking is a particularly destructive method of harvesting fossil fuels, but it suffers from the same basic problem of air pollution that all other oil, as well as coal, suffers from

Building, installing, operating, and maintaining nuclear facilities and solar/wind farms also has environmental and human costs.

How can KT honestly claim his/her reduction to be better for people or the environment when s/he isn't willing to accurately measure the costs of any of these things to compare them?

Scenario 1:
Reduce reliance on fossil fuels = less harm to people and the environment from fossil fuels (I don't think this is in dispute).

It is in dispute until KT can actually show what the harm is in both scenarios. Fossil fuels also help people and if KT's proposed alternatives aren't fully making up the difference, then s/he has to include that missing help as harm in his/her calculation.

Reducing fossil fuels reduces their costs.

But it also reduces their benefits. And that's why it's important to have the numbers - it's the only way we can actually evaluate the overall bad done in comparison with the overall good to see if KT's claim "without harming people" is true.

Scenario 2:
Let the dirty frackers continue to frack the shit out of fracking everything they fracking want = more harm to people and the environment because we are using more fossil fuels, and because fracking is particularly destructive as a method of harvesting fossil fuel.

More vague speculation. Without concrete evidence we really can't evaluate the amount of harm done and determine whether it's 'worth it' or not.

... destroying the environment in the way that fracking does -- What specifically is being destroyed? -- What destruction, if any, occurs under the 'reduce reliance' scenario? -- Can we demonstrate that the destruction is less under one or the other?

-Contamination of wells, aquifers, and ground water with the chemicals used in fracking.
-Release of methane from far underground, contributing further to anthropomorphic climate change.

KT will need to bring the information here. Copy-paste works just fine.

Or whatever your working hypothesis might be. Maybe that will help me to come around to your way of doing things.

My 'working hypothesis' is that the way we are doing things now is possible. As proof that it is possible I present the fact that we are currently doing it.

KT is, in essence, proposing an alternate reality. It is on him/her, entirely and solely, to demonstrate the feasibility of that reality. And until s/he does, until that evidence is brought forward, his/her claims - whether true or not - can be dismissed outright as unsubstantiated speculation.

... why don't you set a good example for me ...

If what KT wants is an example of how to support claims with evidence, I can link to a discussion I had on another forum. It is not about his/her claim directly (though it does deal with energy, the environment, etc.) and I really don't expect responses to this as it's not directly on topic here and is being offered as an example only. On that forum, a member made the claim that it "would only take a few square miles of solar panels (on top of roofs) to fuel the energy needs of the en[i]tre state [of Maryland]". That's a very specific claim and I rebutted it very specifically:

From Evc Forum:

First, I'm going to restrict my focus to electricity, since dealing with all the energy used by the state of Maryland would be a difficult thing to do, since it isn't all easily or agreeably converted to electricity measurement units. Also, in every place where I fudge the numbers to save time and make things easier, I fudge them in LNA's favor.

Now let's begin. :)

California's 550 MW Topaz Solar Farm was said able to generate 1,100,000 Mwh of electricity per year. (I can't find any recent numbers on what it's actually generating, so we're just going to go ahead and believe the hype and assume it's lived up to expectations.)

It covers an area of 9.5 sq miles. (This is all available on Wikipedia: Topaz Solar Farm)

Maryland's electricity consumption was 61,000,000 Mwh in 2013 (Electricity Consumption by State, 2013 (PDF) - I don't know where these numbers come from, but it was difficult finding consumption numbers as opposed to generation numbers so I went with what I could find and rounded down 'cause I'm a nice guy)

Finally, based on this map the sun power in Maryland is about 75% what it is where the Topaz farm sits.

So there's the numbers, now for the math:

First, we will figure out how much Topaz could generate per year in Maryland by multiplying its annual Mwh output by 0.75: 1,100,000 x 0.75 = 825,000 Mwh

Second, we see how many Topaz's it will take to generate the electricity needs of Maryland:

61,000,000 / 825,000 = 73

Finally, how much space that will require:

9.5 x 73 = 693.5 sq miles

So that's how much space Maryland would have to cover in solar panels alone to generate all its energy from solar. Yes, Maryland has about 9,500 sq miles of land, but it's also only 250 miles at its longest. Also, real space requirements would increase due to need for energy storage systems and updated distribution. In any event, there is just no way to see this as 'a few square miles'.

Notice the many sources cited. Notice the calculations done. Notice that after reading that there can be no doubt that the other member's claim has been totally refuted. There is no vague speculation or emotional claims, just cold hard facts for all to examine.

And that post didn't take me very long. The information on this stuff is readily available and anyone wishing to investigate a claim like KT's could do so easily - including KT.

Nuclear, wind, and various forms of solar derived energy should do it to help get us off coal.

Also; not an answer.

Nuclear should provide the base load requirements for the grid. Rooftop PV should provide peaking power for residential and small commercial. Wind turbines should provide peaking power for consumers without rooftop PV. Natural gas should provide despatchable power. Once more efficient storage technologies are developed, both nuclear and natural gas could be taken offline as base load and despatchable power could be provided using solar and wind.

I couldn't possibly quantify the amount of each. The point is that coal power, and eventually all fossil fuel power, can be replaced entirely.

While we are working on that, we invest more in hybrids (in the short term), and EVs as well as the infrastructure to support them. As more and more of our vehicles start to derive their energy from the grid, we will have less and less use for oil.

What are the numbers? KT promised evidence yet offers here only vague speculation.

100% of vehicles can be battery-powered, deriving their energy from either the grid or from standalone solar and wind generators.

Demand for petroleum based fuels could be eliminated entirely for land-based vehicles, and possibly even for aircraft.

I couldn't possibly quantify the amount of each. The point is that coal power, and eventually all fossil fuel power, can be replaced entirely.

When is eventually?

KT's claim is that we can stop fracking and reduce our use of coal and foreign oil.

But if the timeline for doing the latter is some vague eventually, then it's hard to see how we could pull off the former without running short on energy and, as a result, causing real harm to people.

When is eventually?

KT's claim is that we can stop fracking and reduce our use of coal and foreign oil.

But if the timeline for doing the latter is some vague eventually, then it's hard to see how we could pull off the former without running short on energy and, as a result, causing real harm to people.

We need to replace petroleum-fuelled plant and equipment with electric version before we stop fracking, otherwise petroleum demand would exceed supply.

'Eventually' depends entirely on how soon we develop scalable energy storage solutions that can replace the need for natural gas despatchable power plants. We may be able to do it already; I haven't been keeping up on the latest developments in battery storage.
It doesn't relate to coal or petroleum.

US/Canada use average 2kW of electric power per person . EU is around 1kW.
US should start with reducing waste.

Though KeepTalking's repeated wasting of my time landed him/her on my ignore list, I'm going to reply to this specific post since RayJ went through the trouble of fixing the tortured coding on it. :)

So, JonA put me on ignore because I am "wasting his time", but he still has to get his dig in. Very nice. I would just like to note that no one here needs to have their their time wasted by any other poster. You can simply not read posts, and indeed, entire threads.

Also, adding tags to text is not coding. The generally accepted definition of coding, with regard to programming languages, is that coding requires a compilation step, scripting does not. Scripting can be complicated, and most compilation these days is done so quickly that it is barely noticeable. Using simple tags on a web page, however, is neither complicated, nor does it require compilation. It is not coding, no matter how much JonA wants to think he is an accomplished programmer due to his use of list tags in a bulletin board post.

Quibbling over my use of the word 'proposed' is not an answer to the question of what amount of reduction KT is talking about when making the claim "We could reduce our reliance on coal and foreign oil..."

Quibble or not, I am not going to provide the exhaustive level of detail regarding levels of reduction that JonA seems to expect, as my claim does not require it. My claim only requires that fracking can be shown to be more harmful to the people and the environment than alternative methods.

How much could we reduce it?

We could reduce burning fossil fuels for their energy to nothing, eventually. That doesn't mean that petroleum will cease to be useful entirely, as there are many products made form petroleum that might be difficult to produce otherwise. The problem is that if we keep using petroleum as an energy source as we are now, not only do we substantially harm our environment, but we also have less of it to use for other petroleum products, which may not be quite as harmful to our environment.

Not an answer.

It wasn't meant to be an answer. It was meant to show that I will not be treating this discussion as a formal debate, technical paper, or policy proposal.

Also; not an answer.

Quite to the contrary, it is an answer.

Significantly more than we are using now, in all three cases.

I did not promise any specific quality of evidence, I didn't even actually promise any evidence at all. I only said that I would back up my claim, and I am doing that. My claim does not require that I provide any numbers for EVs or their supporting infrastructure. My claim only requires that fracking can be shown to be more harmful to the people and the environment than alternative methods of producing energy.

... without harming people ... the way that fracking does -- How are we measuring the harm?

Observation.

Another non-answer.

No, this is an answer. Measuring something requires observation. It may be a very short and pedantic answer, but it is an answer nonetheless. The answer also expands beyond that single word, in the next paragraph I typed. Why look, it's right here:

Building, installing, operating, and maintaining nuclear facilities and solar/wind farms also has environmental and human costs.

In that case, I suppose JonA is willing to do what he asked of me, and provide hard numbers as well as a scientifically rigorous comparison on the harm caused by all of these energy sources. I am guessing this is coming in a later post, as it isn't presented in this one.

How can KT honestly claim his/her reduction to be better for people or the environment when s/he isn't willing to accurately measure the costs of any of these things to compare them?

Because I find that fracking contaminating water supplies, causing earthquakes, contributing to droughts, and releasing excess methane into the air to be less harmful to the environment than whatever JonA imagines to be the environmental cost of alternative methods. I don't care to speculate what JonA imagines those costs are, as he doesn't seem to want to even mention what they might be, much less provide any of the measures that he wants to require from me.

Scenario 1:

It is in dispute until KT can actually show what the harm is in both scenarios. Fossil fuels also help people and if KT's proposed alternatives aren't fully making up the difference, then s/he has to include that missing help as harm in his/her calculation.

I have shown the harm that fracking does, most of that was provided in the thread that spawned this one. JonA did not care to even respond to those points, much less provide any information on the harm that he alludes to from alternative methods.

Reducing fossil fuels reduces their costs.

But it also reduces their benefits.

It also reduces their harm.

And that's why it's important to have the numbers - it's the only way we can actually evaluate the overall bad done in comparison with the overall good to see if KT's claim "without harming people" is true.

My claim was not simply "without harming people", it was specifically "without harming people and destroying the environment in the way that fracking does". I have shown how fracking causes this harm, if JonA wants to make a comparison, it is incumbent upon him to show the harm done by the alternative methods I mention. Then we can have a discussion as to which is more harmful. Numbers might be thrown around at that point.

Scenario 2:

More vague speculation. Without concrete evidence we really can't evaluate the amount of harm done and determine whether it's 'worth it' or not.

Only vague speculation if you ignore the discussion that prompted this one, which JonA did. He chose not to engage in that discussion in the other thread when Derec and I were hashing it out (I will note that my discussion with Derec on this topic has continued in that thread since this one was posted).

... destroying the environment in the way that fracking does -- What specifically is being destroyed? -- What destruction, if any, occurs under the 'reduce reliance' scenario? -- Can we demonstrate that the destruction is less under one or the other?

KT will need to bring the information here. Copy-paste works just fine.

No, KT will not. Feel free to copy and paste if you like, JonA, but the discussion which contains that information was spread over several pages of posts in that other thread, and I don't care to copy and pate it here, especially now that JonA has informed everyone that he has me on ignore.

Or whatever your working hypothesis might be. Maybe that will help me to come around to your way of doing things.

My 'working hypothesis' is that the way we are doing things now is possible. As proof that it is possible I present the fact that we are currently doing it.

My claim is not about the possibility of fracking producing a lot of oil, which it is currently doing. My claim is about the harm that fracking is doing. It has all of the harmful effects of conventional oil production, combined with several other harmful effects that make it considerably worse than conventional oil.

KT is, in essence, proposing an alternate reality. It is on him/her, entirely and solely, to demonstrate the feasibility of that reality. And until s/he does, until that evidence is brought forward, his/her claims - whether true or not - can be dismissed outright as unsubstantiated speculation.

Once again, I did provide evidence for the claims I have made with regard to fracking in my discussion with Derec in the other thread. JonA chose not to engage in discussion with me on that evidence in that thread. He chose rather to start a new thread, cutting and pasting only the claim, not the evidence, and setting a rather high bar for acceptance of the new evidence he requires. A bar that he is not willing to meet himself in his counter claim.

... why don't you set a good example for me ...

If what KT wants is an example of how to support claims with evidence, I can link to a discussion I had on another forum. It is not about his/her claim directly (though it does deal with energy, the environment, etc.) and I really don't expect responses to this as it's not directly on topic here and is being offered as an example only.

The fact that JonA once provided a reply with actual numbers in it to another forum has no bearing on this discussion. The fact that he thinks it contributes anything at all to his position only goes to show how bankrupt that position is.

Notice the many sources cited. Notice the calculations done. Notice that after reading that there can be no doubt that the other member's claim has been totally refuted.

That's great, what is keeping JonA from doing that here?

And that post didn't take me very long. The information on this stuff is readily available and anyone wishing to investigate a claim like KT's could do so easily - including KT.

Including JonA.

US/Canada use average 2kW of electric power per person . EU is around 1kW.
US should start with reducing waste.

What makes you so sure that the extra is waste and/or it's practical to reduce any waste present (such as transmission loss)?

100% of vehicles can be battery-powered, deriving their energy from either the grid or from standalone solar and wind generators.

Demand for petroleum based fuels could be eliminated entirely for land-based vehicles, and possibly even for aircraft.

Just for fun, I ran some numbers on this for the state of Maryland:

• 56,400,000,000 miles were traveled in the state in 2014 (source).
  • High estimates for EV efficiency give 6 miles/kWh; lower estimates give 2 miles/kWh (source - PDF).
  • Based on that, a conversion of Maryland's vehicles to electricity would require generation of an additional 9,400,000 mWh/yr - 28,200,000 mWh/yr of electricity.*

* That there are already some EVs on the road was considered but not included in the calculation though it would reduce the 'additional' since some of today's electricity is already being used to power EVs. However, the number of current vehicle miles being traveled with EVs is likely less than 1% based on national averages, making the effect possibly negligible.

Maryland does not have to generate all electricity they use. You need only part of the Mojave desert to generate all electricity US use.

• High estimates for EV efficiency give 6 miles/kWh; lower estimates give 2 miles/kWh (source - PDF).
  • Based on that, a conversion of Maryland's vehicles to electricity would require generation of an additional 9,400,000 mWh/yr - 28,200,000 mWh/yr of electricity.*

* That there are already some EVs on the road was considered but not included in the calculation though it would reduce the 'additional' since some of today's electricity is already being used to power EVs. However, the number of current vehicle miles being traveled with EVs is likely less than 1% based on national averages, making the effect possibly negligible.

First. Good posts JonA.

Just thought I'd bring out my maintainability and sustainability wrench and see what I could do.

Governor's Guide to Moderinizing Electric Power Grid (Maryland) http://www.nga.org:8080/files/live/...overnorsGuideModernizingElectricPowerGrid.pdf

illustrates what I see as a hole you left in your analysis. Age of average grid system is over 25 years, generators over 30 years, etc, and most designed in '50s found in summary are inline with my experience here in the NW. From the mid forties to the mid fifties my dad was heavily involved in constructing the Bonneville grid. Not much has happened since. The systems are too old already and need remediation just to sustain their near term demands. So add replacing to the bill for increasing.

Those Maryland figures don't mean anything to me, but I appreciate the source on EV efficiency.

Over 3 trillion miles were travelled on US highways in 2014 (source). At 2 mi/kWh, that's over 1,500,000,000 MWh of electricity, which is about a 30% increase in the total electricity generated by the US.

That doesn't include local traffic, plus there are other transit modes that need to be electrified, but a 30% increase in generation is achievable.

... a 30% increase in generation is achievable.

Yes. But how are we planning to generate it?

If it's fossil fuels, the answer is self-evident. But if we are using solar panels, things are not so obvious. Most drivers will be charging their cars at night, which means you have to capture the electricity and store it for charging later. In fact the need for storage is pretty much built in to any plan for wide-scale renewable energy generation. And storage is difficult and expensive. That is why today, September 9, 2016, we know of no advanced societies (= U.S., Canada, Europe, etc.) that rely on renewables such as solar and wind.

That means that if you switch to electric vehicles this instant, you're almost certainly going to be meeting a large portion of the demand for their electricity with fossil fuels. Now that may still be alright. I might go looking for the numbers later, but it's possible that using fossil fuels to generate electricity that powers a car is more efficient (and thus less polluting, etc.) than using the fossil fuels directly in the car - even when comparing fossil fuels such as dirty coal with cleaner petroleum. And we can explore the same issue for the whole lifecycle of the fuel and generation method in question to really compare the overall benefits and costs of the different scenarios.

Back
Top Bottom