• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Cyber War

How would you know when the tariffs can be lifted?

How would you know when the tariffs can be lifted?

When China stops buying your debt in retaliation and your economy is about to crash unless you fold, then you lift the tariffs. So, about three days.

It's interesting that something, "data", got stolen but what that data is we don't seem to know.
If I steal your car we known what got stolen. I have your car you don't.

I say we sign the hackers up to several well-chosen Twitter feeds. They'll never have time to do any hacking due to constantly cleaning out their in-boxes.

Meh.

If someone keeps secrets that they believe give them any kind of 'edge', then their opponent is going to try to find out what they are. This is true in business, in war, and in diplomacy.

It has always been true, since the very beginning of business, war and diplomacy.

It won't stop, until people stop doing business, fighting wars, and engaging in diplomacy.

And even then, some people will still spy on their partners, to see if they are being unfaithful.

China is steeling our secrets. No surprise. However, the FBI just released a warning to the business community.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world...49a00a-54b0-11e4-ba4b-f6333e2c0453_story.html

Why don't we respond with tariffs? Free trade only works if both sides play fair. Granted tariffs would hurt our economy, but what to do?

Nations are always stealing each other's secrets. The Trade Mission in any embassy does include espionage at the sharp end of research. Why would tariffs affect the US economy if they create jobs within the U.S.? In turn the government will not have to pay people because they have no job so that others can purchase cheaper goods. However those earn will pay more tax to cover those who are unemployed. A source of income empowers the American worker to become a consumer. When spending within the economy he creates more jobs in shops and from manufacturers. He will also consider from time to time purchasing foreign goods if the design is better or they are unique.

It's only a "war" it kills people.
Else, it's just "cyber-business-intelligence" or whatever name you prefer, but not "cyber-war"
Not to say it's not something to be careful about, but you know, Syria, that's a war. Let's not devalue the term. [/pet-peeve]

It's only a "war" it kills people.
Else, it's just "cyber-business-intelligence" or whatever name you prefer, but not "cyber-war"
Not to say it's not something to be careful about, but you know, Syria, that's a war. Let's not devalue the term. [/pet-peeve]

You are correct, but it's the kind of stuff that gets wars started.

Meh.

If someone keeps secrets that they believe give them any kind of 'edge', then their opponent is going to try to find out what they are. This is true in business, in war, and in diplomacy.

It has always been true, since the very beginning of business, war and diplomacy.

It won't stop, until people stop doing business, fighting wars, and engaging in diplomacy.

And even then, some people will still spy on their partners, to see if they are being unfaithful.

In business there is a clear line between legal and illegal competitive intelligence. Amongst nations there are treaties like GATT, WIPO (patents), The Madrid System (trademarks) and then we have the WTO and all there agreements. I can't think of anything more boring than to sift through all that huha to find out if spying is legit or not. I don't care if it's always been done that way. I don't believe in original sin and humans can make progress.

Diplomacy - I don't know much about it, but if I remember back to an international relations class I took 20 years ago: There are certain norms that diplomats generally follow. Well, norms can change. Granted this brings in the prisoner's dilemma and all that follows. Summary, I not sure.

War - well, war is war.

Which brings up another bitch. The NSA is either incompetent or malevolent. I favor the malevolent explanation. If they didn't know about heart bleed they are incompetent. If they did know about it they should have alerted the business community. Same with shell shock. Playing these games of informational asymmetry are stupid.

Take stuxnet: Israel and the US used 4 zero day exploits. Couldn't the NSA's time be better spent locking down our own SCADA systems? Granted, Iran was using Siemens' default passwords for the PLCs. So they kind of deserve it for being so stupid.

Any systems engineers in the house: Why isn't there an air gap on all SCADA systems? Why use Windows for the LAN and why for god's sakes don't they take out the USB ports?

Back
Top Bottom