• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Dark Matter Free Galaxy Found?

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
link

article said:
The object, with the catchy moniker of NGC1052-DF2, appears to contain no dark matter.

If this turns out to be true, it may be the first galaxy of its kind - made up only of ordinary matter. Currently, dark matter is thought to be essential to the fabric of the Universe as we understand it.
Further research of this galaxy will be interesting.

So it only has ordinary or "white" matter in it and the darkies aren't allowed?

Fucking racist galaxies. :mad:

From the NASA article: https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2018/dark-matter-goes-missing-in-oddball-galaxy

The unique galaxy, called NGC 1052-DF2, contains at most 1/400th the amount of dark matter that astronomers had expected. The galaxy is as large as our Milky Way, but it had escaped attention because it contains only 1/200th the number of stars. Given the object's large size and faint appearance, astronomers classify NGC 1052-DF2 as an ultra-diffuse galaxy. A 2015 survey of the Coma galaxy cluster showed these large, faint objects to be surprisingly common.

But none of the ultra-diffuse galaxies discovered so far have been found to be lacking in dark matter. So even among this unusual class of galaxy, NGC 1052-DF2 is an oddball.

Hilarious.

I never got to the bottom of why, but there are a lot of internet Christians who argue that dark matter definitely doesn't exist. You can show them the maps showering exactly where the dark matter is relative to galaxies, and they still claim it doesn't exist.

It should be fun to throw this in their faces.

Hey, Christian, you know how you're always saying dark matter doesn't exist? Scientists found a galaxy in which you're right.

Hilarious.

I never got to the bottom of why, but there are a lot of internet Christians who argue that dark matter definitely doesn't exist. You can show them the maps showering exactly where the dark matter is relative to galaxies, and they still claim it doesn't exist.

I'm not an astronomer, however, if I were to expect to see the effects of dark matter I'd...

Hilarious.

Showing, not showering. Sorry. Typo.

Back
Top Bottom