• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Day without stupid: redux

Does anyone have the link or citation to the declaration of these 1600 scientists (including 2 Nobel laureates)? I'd be curious to read that.

Isn't that the report where something like 99% of those who signed were in fields unrelated to climate science? I think that I recall that most of them were MDs
Yupper...

hence the mention of Project Steve. If you're unfamiliar, Project Steve was done to counter the YEC "list of scientists" opposed to evolution, or skeptical or some such mealy mouthed wording. With the restrictions of 1) Actually being in the biological sciences, and 2) named Steve, they came up with roughly 10 times the number of signatures (maybe more, I don't remember the details now).

Asshole extraordinaire Tommy Tuberville's military blockade has been broken.

Here is a totally inane bit of right-wing culture warring that I neglected to mention earlier.

First Lady Jill Biden posted this performance by dorrance dance "an award-winning tap dance company based in New York City."

Thus showing that she is unlike her predecessor: Melania “delighted” to mark holidays after being caught asking, “Who gives a f*ck about Christmas?” | Salon.com
"I'm working . . . my ass off on the Christmas stuff — that you know. Who gives a f*ck about the Christmas stuff and decorations? But I need to do it, right? OK," she said in the recording. "And then I do it, and I say that I'm working on Christmas and planning for the Christmas. And they said, 'Oh, what about the children that they were separated?' Give me a f*cking break."

Right-wing tantrum over Jill Biden Christmas video accidentally reveals how much MAGA hates America | Salon.com by Amanda Marcotte
Last week, First Lady Jill Biden, rejecting her predecessor's loathing of Christmas cheer, posted a sweet and silly video of the Dorrance Dance company performing a tap dance to a jazz reimagining of "Dance of the Floreadores" from "The Nutcracker Suite."

To normal people, the video was a bit of old-fashioned Christmas cheer in the great American tradition of musical extravaganzas like those of Busby Berkeley. To MAGA-Americans, however, it was a moral and aesthetic outrage that was going straight into their file labeled "Why Now Is The Time For American Fascism." Tellingly, despite the flood of angry comments, Republicans struggled to articulate exactly what they found so offensive. Vague terms like "weird," "grotesque and abhorrent," and "classless" accompanied odd accusations that the performance reminded them of "The Hunger Games."

Libs of TikTok on X: "@FLOTUS This should’ve come with a sensitivity label. This is horrendous." / X - by Chaya Raichik

Brigitte Gabriel on X: "@FLOTUS Children should not be watching this smut!" / X

Nolte: Jill Biden Releases Widely Ridiculed White House Holiday Video
With her holiday video, the Not a Medical Doctor Dr. First Lady Jill Biden has focused on the “ass” in “class” and delivered a nightmare of smug.

Because I’m an overpaid professional, I had to watch the whole thing. Trust me, you don’t have to, and I promise the video does not improve as it goes along. I would sum it up this way: It’s like someone slipped LSD into David Lynch’s Christmas punch, locked him in the Overlook Hotel, and removed his talent.
Ross Douthat on X: "Post-Christian right, post-Christian left: (pic link)" / X
Trump-era line of red Xmas trees & this dance performance.

Jill Biden Christmas video mocked for 'Clockwork Orange' look - "Jill Biden’s bizarre ‘Hunger Games aesthetic’ White House Christmas video roasted by critics"
“How utterly tacky, tasteless and ANTI Christmas. Melania’s was tasteful, seasonal, appealed to everyone and was absolutely breathtaking and gorgeous,” said one commenter.

Several users compared the technicolor visuals to something out of a dystopian film.

“Disney presents clockwork Orange,” one person commented.

“What’s with the Hunger Games aesthetic?,” asked another, while Federalist Editor-in-Chief Mollie Hemingway also panned the first lady’s “Hunger Games Capital District Christmas approach.”
Mollie on X: "The chestnuts are not getting roasted but Jill Biden is for her Hunger Games Capital District Christmas approach this year. Brutal comments." / X
Others wondered if mind-altering substances were involved in the production, with some referencing the bag of cocaine found in the West Wing over the summer.

“Looks like the WH switched from cocaine to acid,” one jokester said.

“The United States of Bananas,” another said.

Some did appreciate the artistic merit of the video, which did not feature either the first lady or President Joe Biden.

“Totally love it, Ms Biden as much as we have showed the love for your playful creative side and arts,” one opined.

Still, others said they would have preferred a more traditional presentation of the classic holiday season ballet.

“While I usually appreciate dance in all forms, this is a travesty. The Nutcracker Suite deserves better,” one wrote.

Wow. I read the right wing comments before watching the video. A reach and a stretch for the level of vitriol. It would make sense if they didn’t like it, a lot of holiday art will have only limit3ed audiences. But they really went overboard.

When you hate someone, the way they hold their fork drives you crazy. But your best friend can spill his drink in your lap and you don't mind.

In Dr. Biden's case, when people have been trained Pavlov's-dog-style to hate you, there is absolutely nothing you can do that will satisfy them.

Wow. I read the right wing comments before watching the video. A reach and a stretch for the level of vitriol. It would make sense if they didn’t like it, a lot of holiday art will have only limit3ed audiences. But they really went overboard.
Reach and a stretch? I was expecting some wonky Alvin Ailey thing. I think my problem is I don't obsess over race and gender, so I seem to miss what the alt-right woke loses sleep over.

I guess I was saying the same. I don’t dwell in their sphere, so the level of vitriol their comments showed above surprise me as totally out of line with anything that Jill Biden did.

:lol:

Before the 2024 Oklahoma legislative sessions begin, thousands of bills will be filed, and most will never come close to becoming law.

One Oklahoma lawmaker, Rep. Justin Humphrey, R-Lane, decided to file a bill targeting "furries," or people in a subculture interested in anthropomorphic animal characters, in Oklahoma schools.

What does Oklahoma House Bill 3084 say?​

Humphrey's bill, House Bill 3084, would ban "students who purport to be an imaginary animal or animal species, or who engage in anthropomorphic behavior commonly referred to as furries at school" from participating in class and school activities.

The bill would require parents or guardians to pick the student up from school.

But, if parents are unable to pick the student up, the bill says "animal control services shall be contacted to remove the student."

Before the 2024 Oklahoma legislative sessions begin, thousands of bills will be filed, and most will never come close to becoming law.

One Oklahoma lawmaker, Rep. Justin Humphrey, R-Lane, decided to file a bill targeting "furries," or people in a subculture interested in anthropomorphic animal characters, in Oklahoma schools.

What does Oklahoma House Bill 3084 say?​

Humphrey's bill, House Bill 3084, would ban "students who purport to be an imaginary animal or animal species, or who engage in anthropomorphic behavior commonly referred to as furries at school" from participating in class and school activities.

The bill would require parents or guardians to pick the student up from school.

But, if parents are unable to pick the student up, the bill says "animal control services shall be contacted to remove the student."
And unicorns must sleep in the stables rather than the inn.

Back
Top Bottom