• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Derail from "Video on race baiting"

That is my crazy long-term vision, but, if it is too crazy, then settle for now on what you should NOT do: overthrow of the oppressive racist capitalistic tyranny that is keeping blacks poor and jailed or whatever.

Why not?

Your argument for increasing the distribution of certain genes is interesting, but it doesn't solve the problems of insane, unsustainable incarceration rates, the militarization of our police forces and concurrent increase in police state tactics to suppress dissent, or the ability of the wealthiest 1% to influence the outcome of every political process to the disadvantage of the bottom 99%.

If our current system is an oppressive racist capitalistic tyranny, we should overthrow it and replace it with something less racist, less oppressive, and less tyrannical.

The most useful application of such information, for now, is to better inform the public of what they should NOT do. I don't know what Matthew Cooke explicitly suggests if anything, but his arguments seem to suggest revolution. Even after a revolution with the intent in part to resolve inequalities, racial inequalities will remain. So, what is a better way to respond? Before the last few decades, genetic differences meant there was little you could do except tolerate the realities, enact slow eugenics or wage genocide. But, now is the beginning of the era of genetic engineering, not to be brushed aside as mere science fiction, as it is already happening with positive effect for domestic plants and animals. This year, alleles for human intelligence are being discovered, and they are being found to vary by race. As the science develops and many more such alleles are discovered, wealthy clients will fund genetic engineering to greatly increase the intelligence of their germs. This will increase the racial intelligence gaps, as the people of genetically-engineered high intelligence will tend to mate with their own race (Jews, Asians and whites). But, democratic action can redirect this tendency so that races of low intelligence may receive the benefits of genetic engineering for intelligence. It would have the potential of equalizing the races for the first time in human history. That is my crazy long-term vision, but, if it is too crazy, then settle for now on what you should NOT do: overthrow of the oppressive racist capitalistic tyranny that is keeping blacks poor and jailed or whatever.

You think Jews are a race?

And you think that oppressive racist capitalistic tyranny should not be overturned?
Do I think Jews are a race? Yes. If you can identify them with a genetic test, then they are a race. Ashkenazi Jews in particular get special attention for having the highest IQ on average (110-115), which means they have a vastly disproportionate number of Ivy League grads, Nobel Prize winners, chess masters, billionaires, and so on. A rational perspective of race would actually save them from the public misattributing their success to an evil Jewish world conspiracy.

For the record, no, I do not think that there is an oppressive racist capitalistic tyranny. Such conspiracist thinking may follow easily from the anti-authoritarian instinct but not from reality. The rich are a diverse set of people who are not working together to oppress anyone, and their existence generally benefits everyone including the poor. Any attempt to overthrow them for the sake of resolving a perceived system of racial oppression that really doesn't exist will do more harm than good.

To evolutionary biologists, "races" are populations within a species with differing gene frequencies due to differing geography. It is something I learned in the creation vs. evolution debates.
And it was something I had to UNlearn in college biology classes. The term WAS widely used in the 1930s and 40s, but has mostly fallen out of favor since then.

All species that occupy diverse environments for many generations follow the pattern of races, and, as Mayr pointed out, humans are apparently no exception.
No one's actually disputing that. The real question is the extent to which superficial characteristics common to a particular group of people actually define them as belonging to the same racial group.

What you are effectively trying to claim is that a very SPECIFIC set of characteristics (e.g. intelligence and cognitive sophistication) can be attributed to a very BROAD superpopulation and all of its subgroups. I don't actually mind that claim, it's a perfectly valid hypothesis, but it's an EXTRAORDINARY thing to claim without extraordinary evidence to support it.

This is because, scientifically speaking, "the black race" isn't a real thing. As far as I'm concerned, attempting to analyze the genetic traits of "the black race" is a bit like is a bit like performing a meta study on the crew composition of the Starship Enterprise. It's not something any serious researcher would ever do unless he was either bored or pushing some kind of agenda.'[/I]

This was written in response to my suggestion: "One way to make such a consideration is to try to figure out how evolutionary divergence works without races, or maybe figure out how or why the human species would be an exception."
Which is a red herring. You're attempting to claim "the black race" is innately inferior intellectually. That's not something you could actually claim without first establishing a set of genetic markers unique to the entire population. There's no reason to DO that, however, because biologically speaking there are a dozen or so "races" that fit into this category that have distinct characteristics of their own, so lumping them all into a massive and widely distributed supercategory serves on real purpose.

You've fallen back to arguing in favor of "the genetics of race." That's not really the topic here, and even if it was, it doesn't establish that the racial groups YOU want to use would even be relevant to what we're actually talking about.

Because the thing we're discussing is the "genetics of intelligence." Thus the genetic differentiation between any two super/subpopulations is infinitely less important than the genetic differentiation between intelligent/unintelligent populations. That is to say: if you know the genetic components correlated to intelligence, THEN you could chart their frequency in different racial groups/subgroups and build your hypothesis from that.

It is my suspicion that the distribution of "intelligence" factors in the genome of different racial groups is not going to be a very straightforward relationship; that certain subpopulations in EACH racial group will have a larger/smaller cluster of intelligence factors. That is, you will find distinct clusters of intelligence factors in ALL racial groups that may or may not define unique groups in and of themselves.

Again, not knowing the genetic factors for intelligence makes this entire hypothesis a non-starter.

And it was something I had to UNlearn in college biology classes. The term WAS widely used in the 1930s and 40s, but has mostly fallen out of favor since then.

All species that occupy diverse environments for many generations follow the pattern of races, and, as Mayr pointed out, humans are apparently no exception.
No one's actually disputing that. The real question is the extent to which superficial characteristics common to a particular group of people actually define them as belonging to the same racial group.

What you are effectively trying to claim is that a very SPECIFIC set of characteristics (e.g. intelligence and cognitive sophistication) can be attributed to a very BROAD superpopulation and all of its subgroups. I don't actually mind that claim, it's a perfectly valid hypothesis, but it's an EXTRAORDINARY thing to claim without extraordinary evidence to support it.

This is because, scientifically speaking, "the black race" isn't a real thing. As far as I'm concerned, attempting to analyze the genetic traits of "the black race" is a bit like is a bit like performing a meta study on the crew composition of the Starship Enterprise. It's not something any serious researcher would ever do unless he was either bored or pushing some kind of agenda.'[/I]

This was written in response to my suggestion: "One way to make such a consideration is to try to figure out how evolutionary divergence works without races, or maybe figure out how or why the human species would be an exception."
Which is a red herring. You're attempting to claim "the black race" is innately inferior intellectually. That's not something you could actually claim without first establishing a set of genetic markers unique to the entire population. There's no reason to DO that, however, because biologically speaking there are a dozen or so "races" that fit into this category that have distinct characteristics of their own, so lumping them all into a massive and widely distributed supercategory serves on real purpose.

You've fallen back to arguing in favor of "the genetics of race." That's not really the topic here, and even if it was, it doesn't establish that the racial groups YOU want to use would even be relevant to what we're actually talking about.

Because the thing we're discussing is the "genetics of intelligence." Thus the genetic differentiation between any two super/subpopulations is infinitely less important than the genetic differentiation between intelligent/unintelligent populations. That is to say: if you know the genetic components correlated to intelligence, THEN you could chart their frequency in different racial groups/subgroups and build your hypothesis from that.

It is my suspicion that the distribution of "intelligence" factors in the genome of different racial groups is not going to be a very straightforward relationship; that certain subpopulations in EACH racial group will have a larger/smaller cluster of intelligence factors. That is, you will find distinct clusters of intelligence factors in ALL racial groups that may or may not define unique groups in and of themselves.

Again, not knowing the genetic factors for intelligence makes this entire hypothesis a non-starter.
Crazy Eddie, you seem to be sending a lot of mixed messages about race. Maybe you can just tell me straight: how do you make sense of race biologically, and how do humans fit into the pattern, in your opinion? You say that "The term WAS widely used in the 1930s and 40s, but has mostly fallen out of favor since then." I say maybe the term "race" has dropped out of favor, but the concept most certainly has not, and even the term is still widely used among evolutionary biologists. See, for example, this search on Google Scholar for speciation races. It returns 2,100 hits since 2014! Ernst Mayr was right. It seems to be only with the human species that the word "race" has fallen out of favor, and maybe you take that to be significant, like maybe you think it is more than just politics and that the human species objectively differs from the general patterns of evolutionary biology. If that is what you think, then let me know.

You are right that proving races exist does NOT prove that races genetically vary in intelligence. But the pseudoscientific denial of human races is often used as a rebuttal against the hypothesis that the races genetically vary in intelligence, as you did in post #19. The main reason that there was a political movement to deny race among American anthropologists was to fight the idea that there are genetic differences among the races. In 1942, Ashley Montagu wrote and published Race: Man's Most Dangerous Myth. The Holocaust became well known shortly after that, and it seemed to prove Montagu correct. The "myth" is indeed very dangerous! I do have arguments that make more probable the conclusion that races genetically vary in intelligence--transracial adoption study, mixed race studies, brain size correlation, skin color correlation, and the transnational pattern of the intelligence hierarchy. But, those points have effect only after the background knowledge is established, namely races are biological, intelligence variations are largely genetic, and the races vary in intelligence scores. Without the background knowledge, the direct arguments are ineffective.

One last question. Your paper on assessing genetic contributions to phenotype, seemed skeptical that we would ever tease out a group-wide genetic component when looking at things like cognitive skills or personality disposition. Am I reading that right? Are "intelligence" and "disposition" just too complicated?

Joanna Mountain and I tried to explain this in our Nature Genetics paper on group differences. It is very challenging to assign causes to group differences. As far as genetics goes, if you have identified a particular gene which clearly influences a trait, and the frequency of that gene differs between populations, that would be pretty good evidence. But traits like "intelligence" or other behaviors (at least in the normal range), to the extent they are genetic, are "polygenic." That means no single genes have large effects -- there are many genes involved, each with a very small effect. Such gene effects are difficult if not impossible to find. The problem in assessing group differences is the confounding between genetic and social/cultural factors. If you had individuals who are genetically one thing but socially another, you might be able to tease it apart, but that is generally not the case.

In our paper, we tried to show that a trait can appear to have high "genetic heritability" in any particular population, but the explanation for a group difference for that trait could be either entirely genetic or entirely environmental or some combination in between.

So, in my view, at this point, any comment about the etiology of group differences, for "intelligence" or anything else, in the absence of specific identified genes (or environmental factors, for that matter), is speculation.
http://www.theatlantic.com/national...ence-and-genetics-for-curious-dummies/276154/

One last question. Your paper on assessing genetic contributions to phenotype, seemed skeptical that we would ever tease out a group-wide genetic component when looking at things like cognitive skills or personality disposition. Am I reading that right? Are "intelligence" and "disposition" just too complicated?

Joanna Mountain and I tried to explain this in our Nature Genetics paper on group differences. It is very challenging to assign causes to group differences. As far as genetics goes, if you have identified a particular gene which clearly influences a trait, and the frequency of that gene differs between populations, that would be pretty good evidence. But traits like "intelligence" or other behaviors (at least in the normal range), to the extent they are genetic, are "polygenic." That means no single genes have large effects -- there are many genes involved, each with a very small effect. Such gene effects are difficult if not impossible to find. The problem in assessing group differences is the confounding between genetic and social/cultural factors. If you had individuals who are genetically one thing but socially another, you might be able to tease it apart, but that is generally not the case.

In our paper, we tried to show that a trait can appear to have high "genetic heritability" in any particular population, but the explanation for a group difference for that trait could be either entirely genetic or entirely environmental or some combination in between.

So, in my view, at this point, any comment about the etiology of group differences, for "intelligence" or anything else, in the absence of specific identified genes (or environmental factors, for that matter), is speculation.
http://www.theatlantic.com/national...ence-and-genetics-for-curious-dummies/276154/
Yes, and you can read about what happens to researchers who make public speculations about the genetics of group intelligence differences here:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB115040765329081636

- - - Updated - - -

Dr. Lahn stands by his work but says that because of the controversy he is moving into other projects. Earlier this year, Mr. Easton of the university's media department forwarded Dr. Lahn a paper by two economists looking at the IQ of infants of different races. Dr. Lahn wasn't interested. "I'm surprised anyone studies this," he replied in an email.

Dr. Lahn says he isn't as eager as he once was to continue studying brain differences. P. Thomas Schoenemann, a professor of anthropology at the University of Michigan-Dearborn, says that at Dr. Lahn's request he collected DNA from 25 people whose brain sizes he had studied previously. But the two scientists haven't been in touch recently.

The university's patent office is also having second thoughts. Its director, Alan Thomas, says his office is dropping a patent application filed last year that would cover using Dr. Lahn's work as a DNA-based intelligence test. "We really don't want to end up on the front page...for doing eugenics," Mr. Thomas says.​

There you have it, people. We should be glad for the existence of the Koch brothers, Rupert Murdoch and that Nestlé guy who said water isn't a human right. Their inordinate power is making everyone's lives better!

There you have it, people. We should be glad for the existence of the Koch brothers, Rupert Murdoch and that Nestlé guy who said water isn't a human right. Their inordinate power is making everyone's lives better!
If you make judgments of a large diverse group of people based on the few you don't like, then it follows that they are generally horrible people who do no good for the world.

Yes, and you can read about what happens to researchers who make public speculations about the genetics of group intelligence differences here:

- - - Updated - - -

Dr. Lahn stands by his work but says that because of the controversy he is moving into other projects. Earlier this year, Mr. Easton of the university's media department forwarded Dr. Lahn a paper by two economists looking at the IQ of infants of different races. Dr. Lahn wasn't interested. "I'm surprised anyone studies this," he replied in an email.

Dr. Lahn says he isn't as eager as he once was to continue studying brain differences. P. Thomas Schoenemann, a professor of anthropology at the University of Michigan-Dearborn, says that at Dr. Lahn's request he collected DNA from 25 people whose brain sizes he had studied previously. But the two scientists haven't been in touch recently.

The university's patent office is also having second thoughts. Its director, Alan Thomas, says his office is dropping a patent application filed last year that would cover using Dr. Lahn's work as a DNA-based intelligence test. "We really don't want to end up on the front page...for doing eugenics," Mr. Thomas says.​

Abe, you were doing so well. You quote sources who mined just enough material from actual respected scientists to give the spiel from the Rushton crowd something of a veneer of some possible credibility. But with this post now your persecution slip is showing. "The truth would come out if the it just wasn't so scary to speak it. Those bad people who disagree won't be quiet and let the racists rant and rave unabated. BOO HOO! It's just not fair!"

Abe, you're wrong. Not because the PC police say so, but because it is so.

- - - Updated - - -

Abe, you were doing so well. You quote sources who mined just enough material from actual respected scientists to give the spiel from the Rushton crowd something of a veneer of some possible credibility. But with this post now your persecution slip is showing. "The truth would come out if the it just wasn't so scary to speak it. Those bad people who disagree won't be quiet and let the racists rant and rave unabated. BOO HOO! It's just not fair!"

It is not about whining about the PC police. If you are going to quote from researchers who talk to the media about this subject, you should know the context of it. They are at risk of losing their career opportunities by saying the wrong thing about it. Sure, it needs to change, but, more relevantly it better informs you about how you should perceive such evidence.

It is not about whining about the PC police. If you are going to quote from researchers who talk to the media about this subject, you should know the context of it. They are at risk of losing their career opportunities by saying the wrong thing about it. Sure, it needs to change, but, more relevantly it better informs you about how you should perceive such evidence.
Perhaps they are losing their career opportunities because the scientific community has concluded their research is bunk.

Perhaps they are losing their career opportunities because the scientific community has concluded their research is bunk.

DING! DING! DING! We have a WINNER!

They concluded it is bunk? That's odd. The quote AthenaAwakened presented reflects a position of mere agnosticism on the topic. Do you think maybe the zealous hateful taboo in the wider community makes the slightest difference?

They concluded it is bunk? That's odd. The quote AthenaAwakened presented reflects a position of mere agnosticism on the topic. Do you think maybe the zealous hateful taboo in the wider community makes the slightest difference?

I think it is safe to sat that the scientific community at large has pretty much concluded that scientific racism is bunk and white supremacists trying to masquerade as people of science are charlatans and hate-mongers.

Then why did your quote conclude agnosticism on the topic in question? They don't talk that way about those positions that are truly proved bunk, like young Earth creationism or astrology. They really do say things like "These people believe Flintstones was a documentary." If they truly think that the position that racial intelligence differences due to genetics is positively proved crap, then it may be OK if career opportunities dry up if a serious scientist supports it. But, agnosticism in the field does not explain it, and the agnosticism really is commonly expressed. See for example "Mainstream Science on Intelligence."

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

What on earth are you babbling about now?

I think I was clear, but you and I do not speak the same language.

I understood all the words separately. I speak English, and I use reason. Your response made little sense. First, the citation AA used is not the scientific community, so your reaction was based on poor reasoning. Second, the notion that the scientific community is yielding to some "zealous hateful taboo" assumes facts not in evidence (to put it politely). As written, your response reads and reasons more like sour grapes than rational thought (hence the "babbling").

It appears to this reader that you have hitched your "intellectual train" to a rather failed endeavor and you are now letting your emotions rule your responses instead of reason.

I understood all the words separately. I speak English, and I use reason. Your response made little sense. First, the citation AA used is not the scientific community, so your reaction was based on poor reasoning. Second, the notion that the scientific community is yielding to some "zealous hateful taboo" assumes facts not in evidence (to put it politely). As written, your response reads and reasons more like sour grapes than rational thought (hence the "babbling").

It appears to this reader that you have hitched your "intellectual train" to a rather failed endeavor and you are now letting your emotions rule your responses instead of reason.
Second, the notion that the scientific community is yielding to some "zealous hateful taboo" assumes facts not in evidence (to put it politely).

Maybe not the whole scientific community, only Bruce Lahn?

Crazy Eddie, you seem to be sending a lot of mixed messages about race. Maybe you can just tell me straight: how do you make sense of race biologically, and how do humans fit into the pattern, in your opinion?
For starters, macroscopic traits unique to certain populations evolve slowly over time (on the order of tens of thousands of years). Natural selection and all that: people living sub-saharan Africa develop physical traits better adapted to that environment, traits which will be different from people living in Siberia or Northern Canada. This is, as you've said, a form of microevolution and the beginnings of speciation; if you completely isolated Africa from North America for ten million years, for example, the aggregate of changes over time would probably produce two completely distinct species of humans.

On the one hand, inasmuch as those populations are isolated from one another, distinct racial groups can be identified. So, for that matter, can distinct sub-groups WITHIN those populations that are likewise isolated for whatever reason. Although geography and climate alone can account for a lot of the traits they have in common, the fact that they don't all evolve from the same set of mutations actually leads to a bit of phenotypical convergence: two or more "races" exist in slightly different regions that have similar traits but aren't actually all that related (e.g. Somalis vs. Aboriginal Australians).

If it was just a matter of taxonomy, that would be one thing. Evolutionary biologists have produced thousands of papers analyzing the origins of various ethnic groups around the world, both in attempts to trace the genetic history of humanity and to find ways to classify those groups in ways that make sense. The problem is, racial politics doesn't care about scientific truth and is more concerned with establishing a social order that people -- particularly, racist people -- can understand and accept. We thus see the persistence of the "one drop rule" in America; a black person cannot convincingly claim to be white just because he has has a white parent or grandparents, but a white man can claim to be black because he has a black parent or grandparent.

It gets worse when you consider that sub-saharan Africa is actually populated by SEVERAL distinct racial groups that all fall under the same umbrella in western studies. Most of them are not merely "tribes" with arbitrary political lines between them. For example, I've seen studies that suggest the overwhelming majority of Africans imported to North America during the slave trade came from the Mande, Wolof and Nyabwa clades with an occasional (and to slave traders, extremely valuable) Bantu speaker (Zulu or Xhosa). There's good reason for using language groups as distinct sub-groups in natural history: people who can't talk to each other rarely breed together. And there are already distinct phenotypical differences between some groups among the same language family (see Hutus vs. Tutsis).

You are right that proving races exist does NOT prove that races genetically vary in intelligence.
Then we're pretty much on the same page here.

The main reason that there was a political movement to deny race among American anthropologists was to fight the idea that there are genetic differences among the races.
I am vaguely aware of that (never much bothered to research it because I don't agree with that premise) but my understanding is that movement has ALSO fallen out of favor and no longer enjoys broad support among researchers.

I do have arguments that make more probable the conclusion that races genetically vary in intelligence--transracial adoption study, mixed race studies, brain size correlation, skin color correlation, and the transnational pattern of the intelligence hierarchy. But, those points have effect only after the background knowledge is established, namely races are biological, intelligence variations are largely genetic, and the races vary in intelligence scores. Without the background knowledge, the direct arguments are ineffective.
So herein is the basic problem: "Intelligence variations are largely genetic" is a premise with EXTREMELY weak support. The weakness of that premise is the "largely" part. Educators and researchers have both known for years -- decades, perhaps -- that a person's inborn gifts only affect their POTENTIALS, not their actual outcomes. You could think of these as a set of mental talents: a person can be born with a talent for memorization, or for abstract thinking, or for visual-spatial reasoning, or for emotional empathy, or for social processing, or any one of a dozen other mental talents.

A person with a talent for memorization will be able to retain knowledge longer and in more detail and will probably do very well on standardized tests.
A person with a talent for abstract thinking will be able to grasp mathematical concepts more easily (or may become an illustrator if he ALSO has a talent for hand-eye coordination)
A person with a talent for visual-spatial reasoning will be able to grasp geometric concepts more easily (or may become an athlete if he ALSO has a lot of muscle memory and body-spatial awareness).
A person with a talent for emotional empathy will have an easier time grasping moral, philosophical and religious concepts (and may become a minister if he also has a talent for public speaking).
A person with a talent for social processing will have an easier time grasping the nuances of social situations and human behavior (and might become a business manager if he also has a talent for time management).

You'll note that only a handful of these characteristics -- particularly, memorization -- would correlate strongly with what you would call "intelligence." That is, someone who is able to memorize the entire SAT study guide will get a much higher score than someone who has to read it two or three times before he remembers any of it. And yet memorization, also, is a skill that has to be developed over time; it's just alot EASIER to acquire that skill if you have talent for it.

This is where the notion of "mostly due to genetics" breaks down: it isn't always the case that a person with a talent for memorization has been given the opportunity to master that skill. It isn't always the case that a person with a talent for social processing has been given the opportunity to master the intricacies of human behavior. It isn't always the case that a person with a talent for number crunching and abstract reasoning has had access to a high-level math and science program that would help him fully develop those talents into useful skills. And this before you consider the disparity in access to education that still exists among racial groups for economic, historical and yes even political reasons.

The most you could say is that there is a wider distribution of certain innate abilities -- talents, really-- in some racial groups than others. This could very well be the case, and it would be interesting to see what the actual distribution of innate mental attributes was between different racial groups. But to equate that with general intelligence is premature at best, and it will require ALOT more data on both the genetic mix of those races and the nature of intelligence before you will be anywhere close to claiming it's an established fact.

Back
Top Bottom