• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Dissipation-Driven Adaptive Organization a new theory that links biology, non-organic chemistry, and physics. And says life is inevitable.

Nexus

Basic Beliefs
basically
MIT assistant professor of physics who may have discovered, via theorizing about thermodynamics and entropy, a supplement to natural selection, showing the origin and evolution of life to be, not a difficult climb up Mount Improbable, but an unavoidable tumble down Mount Inevitable.

Dissipation-driven adaptation, or dissipation-driven adaptive organization (you pick). The energy surrounding a clump of atoms puts those atoms under formative pressure–selective pressure–to conform with its direction (which is toward ever greater entropy).

If you’re a configuration of atoms–a clump of matter–in the path of a heat source, and you efficiently incorporate and slough-off the heat coming your way–in other words, if you facilitate maximal entropy creation through time–you’ll go on existing longer than if you don’t do this efficiently. Clumps of matter, from snowflakes to proteins, are like well-oiled revolving doors, taking in and spitting out the energy that comes their way as they pass through time. They look improbable, but actually there’s no improbable climbing and a lot of probable dropping through space and time that is generating them.

So the better you are at going with the heat (eating it at the front end, channeling it through your system, and dissipating it out your rear) the more likely your pattern-type will survive and replicate itself.

Matter, in other words, is adaptive to energy. Energy puts evolutionary pressure on matter. From so simple a beginning–random clumps of atoms in a bath of dissipating energy–comes things like leaves (if given enough time).

link

I don't know what Prigozhin means and if I wanted to plagiarize I wouldn't have put a link to the article.

Its all well and good that people find that systems that optimize energy dissipation, are efficient, reduce the rate that associated systems degrade in the face of general degradation tendencies (look at heat) in a communicating space find that they would be preferred over those that are nearer random does not change the fact that around such systems entropy is increased, especially by those optimizing systems that take form other systems.

Not completely sure, but, I think one problem with self organizing systems and evolving systems is that other systems around them suffer at the expense of these systems by degrading more rapidly as they lose access to free energy either kept or brought into the organizing and evolving systems. It is my contention that such goings on actually increases the overall rate of loss of organization in the space occupied by such systems.

Back
Top Bottom