• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

DIY Home Renovation - Getting Started

rousseau

Contributor
I've had a few conversations with members here about DIY projects around my house, and how I lack any and all skill in this area. One of the issues I have is that I'm starting from scratch - minimal tools, I can barely swing a hammer properly. That being said I'm recognizing now that I don't want my son (or any future kids of mine) to grow up without basic DIY skills. So I'd like to teach myself some of this stuff, mainly for their benefit.

What I'd like to do to start is build a base collection of tools. A quick search on a starter set pulled up this list. It includes:

- Screwdriver set
- Tape Measure
- Toolbox
- Hammer
- Duct Tape
- Flashlight
- Plier Set
- Utility Knife
- Putty Knife
- Handsaw
- Adjustable Wrench

For more advanced projects it recommends these and a few other things:

- Electric Drill and Circular Saw
- Multi-bit screw driver
- Level
- Socket Set

No need for anyone to write me an essay, but if you have any comments, advice, or suggestions about that list or getting started that'd be appreciated, as I know there are a number of handy people here.

That first list is good. The second list only needs the skillsaw and the drill. A reciprocating saw isn't an essential in my book.

And get a good claw hammer with an appropriate angle in the claw. A fiberglass handle and rubber grip is ideal, not too heavy like a framer and not too light like a toy. Something in the middle.

Some decent chisels will come in handy too.

Back
Top Bottom