• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

DNC Leaks

from your link:
The metadata show that the Russian operators apparently edited some documents, and in some cases created new documents after the intruders were already expunged from the DNC network on June 11. A file called donors.xls, for instance, was created more than a day after the story came out, on June 15, most likely by copy-pasting an existing list into a clean document. Although so far the actual content of the leaked documents appears not to have been tampered with ...

There is no story here with alterations YET. Removing the source information/metadata is something hackers do to remove the tracks.

Also, from your link:
... The original intruders made other errors: one leaked document included hyperlink error messages in Cyrillic, the result of editing the file on a computer with Russian language settings. After this mistake became public, the intruders removed the Cyrillic information from the metadata in the next dump and carefully used made-up user names from different world regions. ...

Changing metadata is something hackers will do. None of this means that the actual hackers were Russian, though.

If it were you doing the hacking, you might very well use multiple levels of deception to obscure the original source of the hack. For example, you might make it look like it came from somebody else and then only partially remove the info to make yourself look stupid.

So, for example again, the original hackers could be a few people from Anonymous who like Bernie Sanders, but then they made it look like it came from Russian intelligence which completely distracts everyone from the original source of the hack. Some other very small leads to other possible sources may be so hard to see and the right resources won't even be put into finding them. Of course, I don't really care whether it was the Russians or the Romanians or Anonymous that much. I DO think that treating some things as foregone conclusions without understanding them deserves a little conversation but I do not expect any Clinton fans to change their minds.

So all this said, again, it doesn't matter that much. What matters more is what the DNC did. And none of the alleged metadata changes change any of the contents of what the DNC did to Senator Sanders.

I actually agree wiht you that the hackers probably didn't change much of the content of the leaks. Or else the e-mails would have been much more damning. Highlighting e-mails about officals discussing possibly leaking information that Bernie was an athiest after the primary was decided isn't all that juicy to me.

If they were intelligent they would have changed things in only a subtle fashion so it was still believable.

The DNC knew how the hack was done, there was no need to change any metadata.

We have evidence that was tampered with--it's value is zero.

The leaks may well have been coordinated from within the USA.
EXCLUSIVE – NSA Whistleblower: Agency Has All of Clinton’s Deleted Emails

Asked point blank if he believed the NSA has copies of “all” of Clinton’s emails, including the deleted correspondence, Binney replied in the affirmative.

“Yes,” he responded. “That would be my point. They have them all and the FBI can get them right there.”

Binney surmised that the hack of the DNC could have been coordinated by someone inside the U.S. intelligence community angry over Clinton’s compromise of national security data with her email use.

Asked point blank if he believed the NSA has copies of “all” of Clinton’s emails, including the deleted correspondence, Binney replied in the affirmative.

“Yes,” he responded. “That would be my point. They have them all and the FBI can get them right there.”

Binney surmised that the hack of the DNC could have been coordinated by someone inside the U.S. intelligence community angry over Clinton’s compromise of national security data with her email use.

This is one of the sillier things I've read. We're to believe that the NSA archives all the traffic they monitor?

This is one of the sillier things I've read. We're to believe that the NSA archives all the traffic they monitor?
I don't think the article says that.
I doubt they keep yours or mine.
Only people of interest maybe. :p

I think that enough people knew about Hillary's desire to have a private server that the NSA would have known, don't you think.
So that would have made her a "person of interest", wouldn't it?

Hasn't the NSA already been accused of spying on members of Congress in the past. Not that it would admit it.

..don't you think they would have been a little bit interested when someone like Hillary, who had access to all manner of classified material wanted a private server?

from your link:
The metadata show that the Russian operators apparently edited some documents, and in some cases created new documents after the intruders were already expunged from the DNC network on June 11. A file called donors.xls, for instance, was created more than a day after the story came out, on June 15, most likely by copy-pasting an existing list into a clean document. Although so far the actual content of the leaked documents appears not to have been tampered with ...

There is no story here with alterations YET. Removing the source information/metadata is something hackers do to remove the tracks.

Also, from your link:
... The original intruders made other errors: one leaked document included hyperlink error messages in Cyrillic, the result of editing the file on a computer with Russian language settings. After this mistake became public, the intruders removed the Cyrillic information from the metadata in the next dump and carefully used made-up user names from different world regions. ...

Changing metadata is something hackers will do. None of this means that the actual hackers were Russian, though.

If it were you doing the hacking, you might very well use multiple levels of deception to obscure the original source of the hack. For example, you might make it look like it came from somebody else and then only partially remove the info to make yourself look stupid.

So, for example again, the original hackers could be a few people from Anonymous who like Bernie Sanders, but then they made it look like it came from Russian intelligence which completely distracts everyone from the original source of the hack. Some other very small leads to other possible sources may be so hard to see and the right resources won't even be put into finding them. Of course, I don't really care whether it was the Russians or the Romanians or Anonymous that much. I DO think that treating some things as foregone conclusions without understanding them deserves a little conversation but I do not expect any Clinton fans to change their minds.

So all this said, again, it doesn't matter that much. What matters more is what the DNC did. And none of the alleged metadata changes change any of the contents of what the DNC did to Senator Sanders.

I actually agree wiht you that the hackers probably didn't change much of the content of the leaks. Or else the e-mails would have been much more damning. Highlighting e-mails about officals discussing possibly leaking information that Bernie was an athiest after the primary was decided isn't all that juicy to me.

If they were intelligent they would have changed things in only a subtle fashion so it was still believable.

The DNC knew how the hack was done, there was no need to change any metadata.

We have evidence that was tampered with--it's value is zero.

Not zero. I think they simply took the content and compiled into what they thought would be more damaging to Clinton.
It was stupid thing to do but russians are stupid, we know that, right? :)

I think that enough people knew about Hillary's desire to have a private server that the NSA would have known, don't you think.

..don't you think they would have been a little bit interested when someone like Hillary, who had access to all manner of classified material wanted a private server?

Unless they're being run by the head of Richard Nixon, no I don't. The NSA doesn't give a flying fuck about Clinton's private server any more than they care about mine. Even by Breitbart standards that's a pretty schlocky article.

I still think it looks like a crappy job of a coverup. So I am a little skeptical (and I don't mean that figuratively) Russian intelligence actually did this, leaving traces behind. It is entirely possible it was the Russians but it seems unlikely. For all I know, like I wrote before it was someone in Anonymous who likes Bernie and was trying to uncover something big. It's also entirely possible that it was the Trump campaign. IMO they have a history of trying to screw over opponents by leaking info/making up fake stories. I even think it was the Trump campaign that read Ben Carson's book, found interesting stuff and then delivered it to the news media because this happened as soon as Carson started to take Trump in the polls. It would be just like him to use his free media time to say, "hey, someone from Russian intelligence should go and find Hillary's deleted emails. haha." when it's really their campaign trying to make it look like the Russians did this with the DNC leaks. It will add to the distrust of Russia by people in the US. It also makes for a good Gotcha later when it's shown that the Russian story is fake and the Clinton campaign and the Obama govt will look incompetent.

Unless they're being run by the head of Richard Nixon, no I don't. The NSA doesn't give a flying fuck about Clinton's private server any more than they care about mine. .
You're just digging your heels in now rather than admit you might be wrong. You don't know what the NSA has done.

I think someone who worked at the NSA for a long time would have a better idea than you.

I still think it looks like a crappy job of a coverup. So I am a little skeptical (and I don't mean that figuratively) Russian intelligence actually did this, leaving traces behind. It is entirely possible it was the Russians but it seems unlikely.
One thing I am pretty sure of is that "Feliks Edmundovich" was put in metadata intentionally regardless who did that. If these were russians or someone who is very familiar with russian culture then it was clearly put there as a joke. If it was someone else then it was a stupid way to frame russians.

I still think it looks like a crappy job of a coverup. So I am a little skeptical (and I don't mean that figuratively) Russian intelligence actually did this, leaving traces behind. It is entirely possible it was the Russians but it seems unlikely. For all I know, like I wrote before it was someone in Anonymous who likes Bernie and was trying to uncover something big. It's also entirely possible that it was the Trump campaign. IMO they have a history of trying to screw over opponents by leaking info/making up fake stories. I even think it was the Trump campaign that read Ben Carson's book, found interesting stuff and then delivered it to the news media because this happened as soon as Carson started to take Trump in the polls. It would be just like him to use his free media time to say, "hey, someone from Russian intelligence should go and find Hillary's deleted emails. haha." when it's really their campaign trying to make it look like the Russians did this with the DNC leaks. It will add to the distrust of Russia by people in the US. It also makes for a good Gotcha later when it's shown that the Russian story is fake and the Clinton campaign and the Obama govt will look incompetent.

How will this help the Bernie camp? Bernie has been taking the high road and is fighting for his issues. He's trying to unite the democratic party and fight Trump. This issue is hurting the dems.

How will this help the Bernie camp? Bernie has been taking the high road and is fighting for his issues. He's trying to unite the democratic party and fight Trump. This issue is hurting the dems.
What issue? This shit is over a week old. No one cares anymore.

The Russians are used to faking things for their own people, not for the far more critical eyes of the west where when one person finds the tracks they can say something about it publicly.

The Russians are used to faking things for their own people, not for the far more critical eyes of the west where when one person finds the tracks they can say something about it publicly.

They would still know the basics (not an advanced topic) of how to change "metadata." I mean, if they're going to fake that the CIA did something to their own people, then they'd be doing that. In any case, your assertion that they only fake things to their own people is false.

- - - Updated - - -

I know. People are beyond 10 new stories about Kardashians by now.

They would still know the basics (not an advanced topic) of how to change "metadata." I mean, if they're going to fake that the CIA did something to their own people, then they'd be doing that. In any case, your assertion that they only fake things to their own people is false.

- - - Updated - - -

The thing is they generally don't need to take the kind of care faking data for domestic consumption that they need to for western eyes.

- - - Updated - - -

The thing is they generally don't need to take the kind of care faking data for domestic consumption that they need to for western eyes.
Eh, or simply because when acquiring the data, they had not yet decided whether to release any of it. Intelligence agencies don't hack their enemies just to dump all their dirty laundry for the world to see.

You are used to it in US too. Remember Iraqi WMD?

You are used to it in US too. Remember Iraqi WMD?

I didn't say the west never fakes data. I said that politicians here who want to fake data have to be far more careful about doing a good job than those in Russia.

Back
Top Bottom