• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Do we really perceive anything?

Basic Beliefs
No beliefs
[B said:
Perspicuo[/B];18361]
I think that I know what you are getting at; does it have to do with information theory?

Semiotics (perhaps the best way to describe it is information theory for those of us who are not computer engineers) and behavioral sciences. Mostly behavior science, but I didn't get it until I discovered Umberto Eco. My mind basically exploded. In a good way. I saw the matrix. LOL

The key is to consider the perceiver.
There are things we cannot do. Take for example the amoeba. It receives chemical and mechanical information. If it somehow got visible spectrum information, it would not be able to handle it, it would be meaningless. Direct or indirect, it doesn't matter. You cannnot give a motorcycle the information you give a laptop computer--forget about not knowing how to "give" it to the motorcycle, in its present state "having" such information is inconceivable, impossible, meaningless. In similar fashion, human beings cannot acquire direct knowledge in any way that is not through the channels of perception. We can also know via linguistic explanation, but that isn't more direct. Our perception is as direct as it gets. Observation is direct perception, it's just complex, that's all.

Does it mean that human (including human science) perception of the world ( universe, existence or total reality )
is only as valid or true as the perception of a mouse?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom