• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Does naturalism entail a commitment to science?

Tammuz

Basic Beliefs
Skepticism
I'm thinking here of the philosophy of naturalism, known as metaphysical naturalism, scientific naturalism, and philosophical naturalism. It is usually viewed as very closely tied to science. Do you think naturalism is necessarily tied to science? Can a naturalist believe in non-supernatural pseudosciences, like homeopathy, or non-supernatural pseudohistorical beliefs like Afrocentrism? Can a naturalist be a 9/11 conspiracy theory believer?

If 'naturalism' is directly related to physical world and how it actually works, it seems to be logical for a naturalist to use the best available tools in order to better understand the world as it actually is. Astrology, etc, may not be the best choice for that purpose. Philosophy without a close relationship to science has also proven to be inadequate in the past.

Good question, and I think it highlights the basic meaninglessness of the word 'naturalism' and its derivatives. Bob thinks homeopathy is legitimate because he thinks there is some unknown physical process behind it. Alice thinks crystals are good to have around because she believes they provide a gateway to the spiritual realm. I don't think we need to put these people into separate categories with regard to their beliefs about the universe. More specifically, there is nothing that distinguishes the unknown physical properties Bob believes in from the spiritual realm Alice believes in. Either you follow the evidence and pick the hypothesis that best explains data, or you mess up and side with a hypothesis because it's emotionally satisfying. Calling the first route 'naturalism' implies there is some category of possibilities one must never entertain, as they sit on the wrong side of an ontological dividing line. That just unnecessarily complicates matters in my opinion.

One may be naturalist and believe on the basis of one's life experience that current science is but a conspiracy.

One's rational theories can only be based on one's experience, whatever the conspirators will say.

Ultimately somebody will be right and the conspirators will be proved wrong.

I have to trust my judgement and perception as to what nature is. Listening to the lies of conspirators could only lead one to failure.
EB

Back
Top Bottom