• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Does this sound like an attempt to get rid of respect for human rights in favor of religious control?

To me, that sounds like a disagreement about what rights people have. In other words, a kind of moral disagreement. Thomists do not think that they need religion to defend Thomism (even though they are religious, at least in nearly all cases and perhaps all cases).

Yes, it's the beginning of the codification of the currently prevailing "everyone is created equal, but some are more equal than others" doctrine.

"an informed review of the role of human rights in American foreign policy."

In remarks at the State Department on Monday, Pompeo noted that “words like ‘rights’ can be used by good or evil,” decrying how some have “hijacked” human rights rhetoric to be used for “dubious or malignant purposes.”

Sounds like an argument the Taliban would use.

Here's a snippet.

Reactions to the new panel were split on Monday. In a statement cheering Pompeo‘s formation of the commission, Tony Perkins, head of the conservative Christian group Family Research Council, said that the panel would be useful in light of governments like Cuba, China and Iran who the group said "have wormed their way onto 'human rights commissions' in their search for international legitimacy."

"Other special interest groups have sought to expand the definition of a 'human right' to include virtually anything. If everything is a human right then the term begins to have little meaning," he said.

In addition, Perkins added, the commission would further promote religious liberty abroad, which he hailed as the "foundation for all other human rights."

To me, it sounds like they are complaining that they don't like giving rights to gay folks, transgendered individuals etc. They don't say that in so many words, but I think anything that goes agains traditional conservative religious values isn't supposed to be a human right. Amnesty International has criticized this, claiming it will reduce human rights. I think Amnesty is correct in its evaluation of this commission.

article said:
In remarks at the State Department on Monday, Pompeo noted that “words like ‘rights’ can be used by good or evil,” decrying how some have “hijacked” human rights rhetoric to be used for “dubious or malignant purposes.”
What?! This is dystopian type garbage.

LP is right. This is about reaffirming the god given right to be able to discriminate based on religious beliefs. That has been the tactic used recently and it seems they want to codify it somehow. And this isn't an opinion, this is what they said:

article said:
In addition, Perkins added, the commission would further promote religious liberty abroad, which he hailed as the "foundation for all other human rights."

Look at what the religious right is pushing--
1) You are justified in discriminating against LGBTs if you can cite a deity who's backing you.
2) The bishops and the Hobby Lobby management are to be put ahead of women's health. Mustn't sully their feelings!
3) They're happy with Trump although he keeps toddlers and teens in detention camps, has called for very specific war crimes, has pardoned war criminals...
4) They're happy (or unconcerned) with the GOP assault on the right to vote.
I'm seeking an analogous time in U.S. history when our system was more deranged than it is now. Maybe the 90 years when slavery was legal? (Note -- I'm dating those 90 years from the republic's establishment.)

Back
Top Bottom