• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Dogs

Well, then people like you should never have a dog.

Eh ? I don't have a dog and have no intention of getting a dog ! My neighbor is the type of person that shouldn't have a dog. He leaves their dog in the yard all day, incessantly barking. Same with the asshole across the street who leaves his yapping mutt outside all day, it barks at every passing car, mailman, deliveryman and jogger etc. I've never seen anyone take that dog out for a walk or play with it since it was a puppy four years ago. Even the owner screams at the dumb dog to shut up, which is just as annoying as the barking. Can't wait until the thing dies, hopefully they won't get another one.

Well, then people like you should never have a dog.

Eh ? I don't have a dog and have no intention of getting a dog ! My neighbor is the type of person that shouldn't have a dog. He leaves their dog in the yard all day, incessantly barking. Same with the asshole across the street who leaves his yapping mutt outside all day, it barks at every passing car, mailman, deliveryman and jogger etc. I've never seen anyone take that dog out for a walk or play with it since it was a puppy four years ago. Even the owner screams at the dumb dog to shut up, which is just as annoying as the barking. Can't wait until the thing dies, hopefully they won't get another one.

I got that. My point was that if you don't want a dog, then you shouldn't have a dog. I wasn't making a value judgment about you. I was merely saying that people like you, ( the ones who say that dogs are a pain in the ass ) shouldn't have a dog. I think you read something into that simple sentence that wasn't there.

I agree that a person who leaves their dog outside all day shouldn't have a dog. Didn't I already say that I agreed with you on that?

Have you considered talking to your neighbor about the dog? Have you checked to see if your city has an ordinance that forbids dogs being left outside 24/7 or prohibits dogs who bark constantly? There may be ways of solving this situation. When one of our neighbors got a dog and left it outside for more than a few minutes without any fresh water, my husband spoke to them and asked the older kids to always be sure that the dog had access to fresh water and never to leave the dog outside for more than a half an hour. It worked. He approached them gently. They know we have two dogs and they respect my husband. It's not like it's impossible to try and resolve problems with a neighbor who has an annoying barking dog. My other neighbor has asked me several times if I'm bothered when her little dog is out late at night to pee. Since it's only for a few minutes, I told her it's not a problem.

I apologize to the poster of the OP for getting so far off track, as I don't think it was your intentions to discuss anyone's personal issues with a particular dog.

I think we all agree that dogs should be treated humanely and dog owners should be sure that their dogs aren't a neighborhood nuisance.

I agree with TSwizzle that there are many people who should not have a dog (although I don't blame the dog for any misbehavior). I would say that most situations I've encountered are not ideal for the dog, but in different ways.

1. People have an active breed and force them to live inactive lives.
2. People leave dogs alone for extended periods. I'm not an expert, but I think many dogs get depressed when left alone and behavioral issues arise, thus exacerbating the problem. Dogs are social.
3. People support radical/unsafe breeding by buying "cute" or "comical looking" dogs and although they may otherwise be great owners, there is still a cruelty to supporting unhealthy breeds.
4. People buy dogs as a fashion statement or image accessory - for example tough looking breeds that go well with a leather jacket.

I do notice better owners since I've moved to a rural community. Most of my perception of dogs comes from living in a big city and seeing many many sad animals.

Speaking to the dog owners in this thread (I am one) If you thought that say 80% of dogs lived in misery with their humans, would you advocate against dog ownership?

How about I just suggest some good books for you to read about dogs. I get the impression that you don't really know that much about dogs, based on some of your remarks. I apologize if I'm mistaken.

The Genius of Dogs: How Dogs are Smarter Than You Think by Brian Hare and Vanessa Woods

How Dogs Love Us: A Neuroscientist and His Dog by Gregory Burns

Are we Smart Enough to Know How Smart Animals Are by Frans decal. ( this one is about more than just dogs )

Dog Sense:How the New Science of Dog Behavior Can Make you a Better Friend to your Pet by John Bradshaw

Our Kinship with Animals, Our Call to Defend Them by Wayne Pacelle. ( again it's about more than just dogs )

How Dogs Work by Raymond Coppinger and Mark Feinstein

The Dog by William Youth. ( I didn't read much of this one )

These are all from my kindle but there are plenty of others that I haven't read but are supposedly good reads.

Inside Of a Dog: What Dogs See, Smell and Know by Alexandra Horowitz

Our Dogs, Ourselves also by Horowitz

Being a Dog" Following the Dog into a World of Smell another book by Horowitz

What's it Like to be a Dog: And Other Adventures in Animal Neuroscience by Gregory Burns

How Dogs Think: Understanding the Canine Mind by Stanley Coren

There are many other scientific books about dogs. I don't think a large percentage of people have dogs who are miserable, but I am certainly an advocate for treating dogs and house cats for that matter humanely. It's very easy to tell if a dog is happy. All of my dogs have been very happy, as evidenced by their behavior towards me and my spouse. One just jumped on my lap for a hug. She wants some love. The other one is taking a nap with my husband. She is perfectly content.

Dogs have been bonded to humans for thousands of years. They need us and some of us certainly need them to have happier, more meaningful lives. There will always be cruel people. Some people are very cruel to their children and some are cruel to their pets. Of course, I'm against all kinds of cruelty but that doesn't mean that dogs shouldn't be entitled to the live the lives they deserve, whether they are pets or working dogs.

Since I'm an advocate for rescue dogs, I agree that it would be better if humans had not created some of the breeds that leave dogs susceptible to certain diseases and disabilities. Mixed breed rescues are becoming the most popular adoptees as more people are learning about the many dogs in need of loving homes. People need to be educated about dogs, their needs etc.

Anyone who treats a dog inhumanely should certainly be reported to the proper authorities.

How about I just suggest some good books for you to read about dogs. I get the impression that you don't really know that much about dogs, based on some of your remarks. I apologize if I'm mistaken.

The Genius of Dogs: How Dogs are Smarter Than You Think by Brian Hare and Vanessa Woods

How Dogs Love Us: A Neuroscientist and His Dog by Gregory Burns

Are we Smart Enough to Know How Smart Animals Are by Frans decal. ( this one is about more than just dogs )

Dog Sense:How the New Science of Dog Behavior Can Make you a Better Friend to your Pet by John Bradshaw

Our Kinship with Animals, Our Call to Defend Them by Wayne Pacelle. ( again it's about more than just dogs )

How Dogs Work by Raymond Coppinger and Mark Feinstein

The Dog by William Youth. ( I didn't read much of this one )

These are all from my kindle but there are plenty of others that I haven't read but are supposedly good reads.

Inside Of a Dog: What Dogs See, Smell and Know by Alexandra Horowitz

Our Dogs, Ourselves also by Horowitz

Being a Dog" Following the Dog into a World of Smell another book by Horowitz

What's it Like to be a Dog: And Other Adventures in Animal Neuroscience by Gregory Burns

How Dogs Think: Understanding the Canine Mind by Stanley Coren

There are many other scientific books about dogs. I don't think a large percentage of people have dogs who are miserable, but I am certainly an advocate for treating dogs and house cats for that matter humanely. It's very easy to tell if a dog is happy. All of my dogs have been very happy, as evidenced by their behavior towards me and my spouse. One just jumped on my lap for a hug. She wants some love. The other one is taking a nap with my husband. She is perfectly content.

Dogs have been bonded to humans for thousands of years. They need us and some of us certainly need them to have happier, more meaningful lives. There will always be cruel people. Some people are very cruel to their children and some are cruel to their pets. Of course, I'm against all kinds of cruelty but that doesn't mean that dogs shouldn't be entitled to the live the lives they deserve, whether they are pets or working dogs.

Since I'm an advocate for rescue dogs, I agree that it would be better if humans had not created some of the breeds that leave dogs susceptible to certain diseases and disabilities. Mixed breed rescues are becoming the most popular adoptees as more people are learning about the many dogs in need of loving homes. People need to be educated about dogs, their needs etc.

Anyone who treats a dog inhumanely should certainly be reported to the proper authorities.

I don't doubt for a second that you are a wonderful dog owner. I too have a rescue dog, and she partly inspired this thread. She is a very very loyal dog who loves attention and loves to run amok with other dogs. She has many behavioral issues that my wife tried very hard to help her with her anxiety. She's a nervous wreck most of the time - very high strung with a massive case of separation anxiety. I feel sorry for her often, no matter how much attention we give her she is never relaxed and although she loves to play with other dogs, it never lasts more than a minute before the other dog attacks her. She nips constantly at their faces. She also can't be trusted around other people. We have tried many trainers and none have succeeded. We accept her for who she is, but I see her as an example of a mistreated animal (as a puppy) and possibly a breeding program gone off the rails.

I know there are many people highly devoted to their dogs and I didn't mean to offend anyone - but I'm sure even the most ardent dog lovers feel something when they go to an SPCA and see abandoned animals who are put down for various reasons, or see the conditions in which breed dogs are kept. My previous dog was a Jack Russel who I rescued from a breeder, She was kept in a small cage and produced way too many litters and was close to death when I got her. There were other dog cages stacked on hers and beside hers. She would attack any other dog at the drop of a hat. Highly dysfunctional.

Friends of mine import animals that are found dying and try to find homes for them. They have kept many.

It all seems so undignified from the dog's point of view. I don't see humans as above anything else on this planet. Just different. I don't want to be a pet, so I don't expect anything else does either if given the choice. Dogs are not given any choice.

It's not a popular sentiment I know. On the rare occasions I share this perception, I am heavily scorned by dog owners. I keep my mouth shut now.

I bring it up here just to see if I'm alone on this. I think a few here may share this view. Potatoooos graphic is exactly how I see it - the one where the roles are reversed.

It all seems so undignified from the dog's point of view. I don't see humans as above anything else on this planet. Just different. I don't want to be a pet, so I don't expect anything else does either if given the choice. Dogs are not given any choice.

It's not a popular sentiment I know. On the rare occasions I share this perception, I am heavily scorned by dog owners. I keep my mouth shut now.

I bring it up here just to see if I'm alone on this. I think a few here may share this view. Potatoooos graphic is exactly how I see it - the one where the roles are reversed.

I don't mind being my dog's pet. :D. Or maybe I should say slave. Honestly, dogs chose to be with us, and if they are treated well, they usually live happy, satisfying lives. The hardest thing is that their lives are so short compared to ours.

Our rescue dog had some issues too, when we first brought her home. She's not good around strangers, but she has made friends with a friend of mine. She gradually decided the woman was okay because she started giving her one of her favorite treats whenever she visits us. She also like Jobar, our TFT member who has been too busy to return here. She met him shortly after we got her and she decided he was okay. To be honest, Kiki now rules our home. Right now, she's taking her 3 mile walk with my husband. She loves walking around the neighborhood with him, while my little Zoie simply loves the comfort of her home. She's never been much for taking long walks or spending much time outside. Like people, dogs each have unique personalities.

I totally agree that is disheartening to see an abused or neglected dog, but then it's disheartening to see an abused or neglected child or older adult too. Some people are cruel or ignorant. Unfortunately, some dogs and some people will never enjoy the good life that many of us have.

Back
Top Bottom