• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

DONALD TRUMP TO SPEAK AT HATE GROUP'S ANNUAL EVENT, A FIRST FOR A PRESIDENT

ZiprHead

Loony Running The Asylum
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Don't be a dick.
https://www.newsweek.com/donald-trump-speak-anti-lgbt-hate-groups-annual-event-first-president-683927?fbclid=IwAR1JmHDgDs3x0YGQtt3_arseZMUrwwDXDjaHEahGdb_-isMExmyijzXnyQE

President Donald Trump will be the first sitting president to address the Family Research Council’s Values Voter Summit, which the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) described as a “rogues' gallery of the radical right.”

Trump will be the keynote speaker at Friday's event, which will also be attended by his former strategist, Steve Bannon. Other speakers include the founder of anti-Islam group ACT for America and former Trump strategist, Sebastian Gorka.

The anti-LGBTQ Family Research Council, labeled as a hate group by the SPLC, has hosted its annual summit since its inception in 2006.

Bannon and Trump together again. Aw. That's so cute!

I wonder if Steve is heartsick knowing that Donny and Un have fallen in love. On the other hand, Steve could be there to sweep Donny off his feet, thinking hopefully that the recent troubles Donny and Un have been having will leave his lost love vulnerable to the heart's hopeless calling of yesterday's passions. But re-falling for a past amour after such a torrid and intense affair that ended in a river of tears carries with it the tragic harbinger of heartbreak anew.

But Today is an ephemeral ghost... A strange amazing day that comes only once every four years. For the rest of the time it does not exist. - Vera Nazarian

Maybe that's expression of temporary romance that Donny and Steve have in their hearts. Let's just hope their mortal amour doesn't leave them broken and unable to heal.

I'll pray for them.

The SPLC said they're a hate group, there's no contesting that.

I don't care whether you want to call them a "hate" group or not (however you want to define that). The fact is this group has pushed out some horrible false propaganda against LGBT people. One example is spreading the myth that homosexual men want to have sex with boys and their ultimate goal is to eliminate age of consent laws. Another myth is the unfitness of homosexual couples in raising children. This is a disgusting group and it is a national shame that they have the ear of prominent politicians, now including the president.

The SPLC said they're a hate group, there's no contesting that.

I don't care whether you want to call them a "hate" group or not (however you want to define that). The fact is this group has pushed out some horrible false propaganda against LGBT people. One example is spreading the myth that homosexual men want to have sex with boys and their ultimate goal is to eliminate age of consent laws. Another myth is the unfitness of homosexual couples in raising children. This is a disgusting group and it is a national shame that they have the ear of prominent politicians, now including the president.

Sounds like a hate group to me, but I think you're right that the label matters less than the things they do.

"SLPC is a hate group" even granting this premise it does nothing to address the claim OP is making. So great job not actually addressing a claim. Really shows your critical thinking skills.

"SLPC is a hate group" even granting this premise it does nothing to address the claim OP is making. So great job not actually addressing a claim. Really shows your critical thinking skills.

Eh. We have several people on the board with their button issues that they may address, or always address, or apparently have a deep seated need to address, whenever they come up. This may be critical to the topic under discussion or tangential. If it becomes a big derail, we can always ask that it be split off.

If someone's triggered by a need to point out that 'SPLC is just as bad,' that's not necessarily a failure of thinking skills.

edit

- - - Updated - - -

Eh. We have several people on the board with their button issues that they may address, or always address, or apparently have a deep seated need to address, whenever they come up. This may be critical to the topic under discussion or tangential. If it becomes a big derail, we can always ask that it be split off.

If someone's triggered by a need to point out that 'SPLC is just as bad,' that's not necessarily a failure of thinking skills.

No, I think my point still stands that it entirely ignores the central claim OP is making. It does nothing more than point out hypocrisy but not what's wrong with saying Trump will speak for a hate group. At the very least it is intellectually lazy. Hypocrisy is very easy to point out.

Last edited:
No, I think my point still stands that it entirely ignores the central claim OP is making.
It's off topic, sure. But you can't say for sure that the poster was even trying to reply to the topic.
So critical thinking skills are not necessarily being tested.

No, I think my point still stands that it entirely ignores the central claim OP is making.
It's off topic, sure. But you can't say for sure that the poster was even trying to reply to the topic.

They are being tested depending on how someone replies to a claim. How else would they be tested?

Bannon and Trump together again. Aw. That's so cute!

I wonder if Steve is heartsick knowing that Donny and Un have fallen in love. On the other hand, Steve could be there to sweep Donny off his feet, thinking hopefully that the recent troubles Donny and Un have been having will leave his lost love vulnerable to the heart's hopeless calling of yesterday's passions. But re-falling for a past amour after such a torrid and intense affair that ended in a river of tears carries with it the tragic harbinger of heartbreak anew.

But Today is an ephemeral ghost... A strange amazing day that comes only once every four years. For the rest of the time it does not exist. - Vera Nazarian

Maybe that's expression of temporary romance that Donny and Steve have in their hearts. Let's just hope their mortal amour doesn't leave them broken and unable to heal.

I'll pray for them.

:D You read a lot of bodice-rippers?

They are being tested depending on how someone replies to a claim. How else would they be tested?
Not every post in a thread is an effort to justify or rebut the claims in the OP.
Topic drift, distractions, derails, grammar Nazis...

Holding Jason responsible for something he is not doing is more of a strawman than an evaluation of his thinking skills.

Not every post in a thread is an effort to justify or rebut the claims in the OP.
Topic drift, distractions, derails, grammar Nazis...

Holding Jason responsible for something he is not doing is more of a strawman than an evaluation of his thinking skills.
It isn't as much Jason's "thinking skills" and more of a 'he never actually puts forth his position'.

Back on topic, I don't see why this is a surprise that Trump is pandering to hate groups. His presidency has evolved from "I don't know who David Duke is, I've never met him", to "Very fine people on both sides and at least Unite the Right had a permit", to now "Welcome my people!". It's a pretty obvious progression.

Back
Top Bottom