• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Donald Trump's Purple Heart

lpetrich

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
What a narcissist.

ZiprHead posted in another thread: Donald Trump: "I always wanted to get the Purple Heart. This was much easier" - YouTube

Why Donald Trump's 'Purple Heart' Is Absolutely Insulting To Veterans | The Progressive
When Donald Trump was handed a veteran’s Purple Heart medal at a campaign rally recently, he exclaimed, “I always wanted to get the Purple Heart. This was much easier!”

Trump dangled the medal, given to him by a fan, in front of the cameras.

This didn’t sit too well with Will Fischer, who earned his purple heart the old-fashioned way. Purple Hearts are reserved for veterans wounded or killed during service.
Will Fischer:
“That’s not the point,” he explained. “That man earned it and can do whatever he wants with it. My issue is with a presidential candidate being so cavalier and so gauche about getting one. It’s interesting to hear him express that he “always wanted a Purple Heart” but he used five deferments to get out of Vietnam.”

“It’s woefully inappropriate for someone who wants to be Commander-in-Chief. And this on the heels of him attacking the Khan family [the Muslim American parents of a deceased soldier] after the convention,” he said.

“Trump is nothing but a chickenhawk charlatan who wants to send more men and women into combat — working class kids, not Donald Jr., or Ivanka, or Tiffany, or Eric, or Barron,” Fischer said, listing Trump’s five children. “His kids will never see combat; working class kids will.”

Another veteran has created this campaign: Help Trump Get a Purple Heart by Cameron Kerr - GoFundMe
As with seemingly everything else in his life, Mr. Trump got one handed to him instead of earning it. That being said, as a Purple Heart recipient [proof ] who earned one the old-fashioned way by returning from Afghanistan one leg lighter, I fully endorse his desire to earn one and would happily oblige his interest in doing so, by being one of the first to chip in to fly him to the conflict zone of his choosing. After all, you're never too old to follow your dreams.

…ok, let’s be serious. Super serious. We’re not going to be able to help Donald realize his conveniently retroactive military fantasies, and based on precedent he could likely get a series of deferments to avoid going even if we tried. So instead, we’re going to convert his toxic bigotry, ignorance, and callousness into something positive. As Michelle Obama said/as Melania Trump might say at some point in the future: "when they go low, we go high."

What better way to do that than to redirect money to a good cause that Donald Trump would vehemently oppose: aiding Syrian refugees.

Holy motherfucking shit.

This takes me straight back to the Khan's... What has Donald sacrificed to get the Purple Heart?

I was eligible for one for 20 years, technically. I never, ever wanted one. It involves getting hurt. It actually requires getting hurt as a result of enemy action. I mean, like, bullets and shit.

Most of the recipients i've ever known would probably just as soon not have earned one. I mean, if the choice was a leg, an arm, feeling beneath your rib cage, the ability to wipe your own ass or a distinguished piece of jewelry, I think most would not choose an award ceremony beside their bed.

Or my great-uncle Keith. The one whose Purple Heart came home from Iwo Jima, though he didn't.

Mother fucker...

Mother fucker...

Yeah, pretty much.

A friend of mine earned a Silver Star in Vietnam. He was on a low level recon mission, and his plane had come under heavy fire. Everyone in the crew was wounded except him. Over 70 pieces of flack/ground fire had hit the aircraft, and somehow he managed to fly it home and save his crew.

He never said a word about it. In fact in all the time I knew him he never talked about his time flying recon at all. I didn't hear about any of it until his brother spoke at the memorial service. After the funeral I relayed the story to my mom (her dad had been wounded in WWII) and she said "so your friend...he was a hero."

Yep. In ways Trump cannot hope to fathom, no matter how many medals he gets handed.

First. Trump doesn't have a purple heart. Some vet thought it would be nice if Trump was allowed to hold his for a while. Clearly, the gesture was futile.
Right. If someone comes to you having been awarded a purple heart the last thing you should do is keep talking about yourself like it's yours. Clearly someone likes Trump and wants Trump to know it. But you'd think Trump would know how to be a man and know how to handle the situation.

A journalist should have asked Trump if he think he deserves/has earned a purple heart. Knowing his utter lack of empathy and social convention I wouldn't be surprised if he says that he does (because of *insert silly reasons such as 'I worked hard' or 'I created jobs' ).

Which would have headlined a lot of media then of course.

Pretty much, it was his reaction to getting it, "I've always wanted one". For a draft dodger to say such a thing, is just out of this world. Heck, he should have never accepted it at all, but you know Trump, he deserves everything he gets, including a worse than Mondale count of the popular vote.

Back
Top Bottom