• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Driving on other planets

lpetrich

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Watch What It's Like To Drive With Other Planets' Gravity
noting
What It's Like to Drive on Other Planets - YouTube

Using this game with its detailed physics of vehicles and how they behave when they collide and get smashed up: BeamNG.drive | BeamNG

The demonstrator used a pickup truck. Under the Earth's gravity, it behaved pretty much as one would expect. Under the Moon's gravity, it did not have much traction and it skidded a lot. But when it drove over a hill, it stayed in the air a long time. Under Jupiter's gravity, it could barely get off the ground. Under the Sun's gravity, it got smashed to the ground. Under Pluto's gravity, it went airborne and bounced a few times before settling down.

When I look at that, I think of the Philae lander on Comet Churyumov-Gerasimenko. It bounced a sizable distance on that comet nucleus's surface.

I'll collect surface-gravity values here, as multiples of the Earth's -- 9.81 m/s^2, 32.2 ft/s^2
  • Sun: 27.9
  • Mercury: 0.378
  • Venus: 0.907
  • Earth: 1
  • - Moon: 0.166
  • Mars: 0.377
  • - Phobos: 0.000581, Deimos: 0.000308
  • Ceres: 0.029
  • Vesta: 0.025
  • 23238 Ocasio-Cortez: 0.00012
  • 153289 Rebeccawatson: 0.00041
  • Jupiter: 2.36
  • - Io: 0.183, Europa: 0.134, Ganymede: 0.146, Callisto: 0.126
  • Saturn: 0.916
  • - Mimas: 0.00648, Enceladus: 0.0113, Tethys: 0.0149, Dione: 0.0236, Rhea: 0.0269, Titan: 0.138, Iapetus: 0.0228
  • Uranus: 0.889
  • - Miranda: 0.0081, Ariel: 0.027, Umbriel: 0.020, Titania: 0.039, Oberon: 0.035
  • Neptune: 1.12
  • - Triton: 0.0794
  • Pluto: 0.071
  • - Charon: 0.029
  • Eris: 0.083
I assumed that the mean density of asteroids 23238 OC and 153289 RW was a typical stony-meteorite value: 3.5 g/cm^3.

Watch What It's Like To Drive With Other Planets' Gravity
noting
What It's Like to Drive on Other Planets - YouTube

Using this game with its detailed physics of vehicles and how they behave when they collide and get smashed up: BeamNG.drive | BeamNG

The demonstrator used a pickup truck. Under the Earth's gravity, it behaved pretty much as one would expect. Under the Moon's gravity, it did not have much traction and it skidded a lot. But when it drove over a hill, it stayed in the air a long time. Under Jupiter's gravity, it could barely get off the ground. Under the Sun's gravity, it got smashed to the ground. Under Pluto's gravity, it went airborne and bounced a few times before settling down.

When I look at that, I think of the Philae lander on Comet Churyumov-Gerasimenko. It bounced a sizable distance on that comet nucleus's surface.

Yeah. If you want to do much with a rover on Minmus you need a very low center of gravity and reaction wheels besides. (Although I think a real rover would fare better because the terrain wouldn't have abrupt slope changes. Go over a ridgeline where it changes maybe 20 degrees, your front wheels go over first and start to fall--this imparts a rotation to your rover. Too much hang time and you don't land on your wheels anymore.) I've never tried a rover on Gilly, with it's extreme slopes and low gravity it's for masochists.

Which side of the road?

You realize Minmus is the lesser moon of Kerbin? In other words, Kerbal Space Program. There are a few roads around the Kerbin Space Center but none are lane marked.

Back
Top Bottom