• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Drug wars..

Zeluvia

Basic Beliefs
Thinking
I posted awhile back about my new prescription problems. They continue, but this is not about that. My friends are also starting to have problems. The Vietnam vet next door has been taken off his painkillers, another friend of mine just lost her muscle relaxer. These are people that have serious medical problems and have been on these prescriptions for decades.

So I have been wondering just what the fuck was really going on. I know there is media hype about deaths and abuse, but that doesn't square with the America I know. The America I know kills 13 people while saving .57 cents on a spring. So I went off following the money.

Starting with Pharma. While I know a lot of the problem is coming from DEA pressure, I figure there is money behind that pressure.

"One of FDA's top priorities is giving pediatricians and parents the same level of tested and researched information on drugs used to treat children that is required for drugs used to treat adults," agency spokeswoman Sandy Walsh told The Wall Street Journal.

This is from this article. http://www.fiercepharma.com/story/p...n-test-kids-aiming-extend-monopoly/2012-07-03

It's a post about Purdue Pharma running oxycontin trials on kids to get an extension of their patent. The parent Article is interesting. It estimates that the losses from drugs going generic in 2013 and 2014 are going to be in the Billions.

The FDA moves Vicodin and its multiple generic versions up a class to CII, making it more difficult to prescribe, and the DEA starts targeting doctors, even in places that had no pill mill abuses like Florida did. Meanwhile, it approves Zohydro, a newly patented version of hydrocodone that is even stronger than the usual vicodin formula.

The FDA puts out guidelines. My friend was taking Hydrocodone and Soma. They ARE a problem to some people, but she had taken them together for over a decade, and had them in perfect balance with no side effects. Her doctor got a letter stating specifically that patients on both these drugs had to be moved immediately off one or the other, and was given a list of replacements for soma. None are generic. The one the doctor choose isn't even on the insurance companies formulary.

There seem to be a lot of pieces to this puzzle, and I am not sure I have the right picture yet.

But I do NOT believe for an instant that Pharmaceutical Companies act in the best interest of anything but profit. I do think that they have power at the FDA.

Anyway, pisses me right the fuck off. Moving to Colorado :)

The FDA puts out guidelines. My friend was taking Hydrocodone and Soma. They ARE a problem to some people, but she had taken them together for over a decade, and had them in perfect balance with no side effects. Her doctor got a letter stating specifically that patients on both these drugs had to be moved immediately off one or the other, and was given a list of replacements for soma. None are generic. The one the doctor choose isn't even on the insurance companies formulary.

Hydrocodone and Soma have an interaction:

http://www.drugs.com/drug-interactions/norco-with-soma-71-8487-527-263.html?consumer=1

I don't know why that would be an issue for patients who have been taking the combination without problems, though.

And if he was prescribed something off-formulary he should find out what the insurance company suggests and talk to his doctor about the problem. They're usually willing to work with the formularies.

That is not the issue. The issue is that the Doctor no longer has a choice about changing the prescription, and soma is generic, and the alternatives are not.

Soma has been around since 1959. Like Vicodin, it has been generic for a very long time. And yes it does have an interaction, and is not good in SOME people.

Frankly I would rather take an older drug than a newer one, just because it sometimes takes years for all the hazards to show up.

Forums like this about different drugs are all over the internet. My doctors are even confused now about what the fuck is going on.

http://www.spine-health.com/forum/t...longer-allowed-write-soma-bad-you-anyone-else

There are multiple groups like this one:
http://www.nationalpainpatientscoalition.com/pressrelease.html

I am looking for a book I found the other day, can't find the link now : )

Back
Top Bottom