• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Dual Boot Windows Linux

steve_bank

Diabetic retinopathy and poor eyesight. Typos ...
Basic Beliefs
secular-skeptic
Anybody have a dual boot running?

Any problems?

BTW an alternative is to use a virtual machine so you can have either in a window and make it full screen if desired....

Why would be any problems?
have been running for 20 years. Have not booted windows in years though.

Anybody have a dual boot running?

Any problems?

I used to dual boot. Trickiest part was doing the install:
1. Set up your disk partitions
2. Install Windows
3. Install Linux after WIndows
This ensures that grub replaces the Windows bootloader and automatically detects both operating systems.

As long as you don't fuck around with grub, there shouldn't any problems.

Would a 128g SSD drive handle both systems?

Yes, but the two operating systems combined will take up about 50GB before you even start installing apps.

Nah, not 50, especially not if you use a lightweight desktop environment for Linux (e.g. xfce4), you can easily fit the whole operating system in 10 gigs. Probably less.

EDIT: Yeah, Xubuntu (basically Ubuntu packaged with xfce4 desktop environment) requires 7.5 gigs total for install.

I think openSuse with xfce4 requires only 5.

https://xubuntu.org/screenshots/

Windows 10 will be bloated, for sure.

Would a 128g SSD drive handle both systems?

Yes, but the two operating systems combined will take up about 50GB before you even start installing apps.

Nah, not 50, especially not if you use a lightweight desktop environment for Linux (e.g. xfce4), you can easily fit the whole operating system in 10 gigs. Probably less.

EDIT: Yeah, Xubuntu (basically Ubuntu packaged with xfce4 desktop environment) requires 7.5 gigs total for install.

I pulled the number of my ass, but I think I'm in the ballpark: I allowed 10 for Xubuntu and 40 for Win 10.

I pulled the number of my ass, but I think I'm in the ballpark: I allowed 10 for Xubuntu and 40 for Win 10.
Apparently, for 64-bit, you can get it for 20 gigs.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...irements-6d4e9a79-66bf-7950-467c-795cf0386715

Under 30 gigs. Not great, not terrible.

I thought I read somewhere dual booting Windows 10 was much harder. Also, Windows 10 seems to get pretty fat with use.

Thanks all.

I have 100gb left in the SSD and 1GTB in the hard drive. I;'l put Linux on the HD.

I became a committed Unix fan in 1980. Some people worship the Christ, some Allah. Ken Thompson and Dennis Ritchie are my Gods. Beginning in the 1990's I ran Windows/Linux as a dual boot for over a decade and never had trouble with the booting. (Except for the inconvenience of switching from one system to the other.)

Ubuntu made me retch; and later I abandoned Fedora. It seemed that they were trying to adopt all the worst features of Windows, but none of the best. What finally made it intolerable on my Toshiba laptop is that Linux did not know how to slow down the CPU when it was idle. (Was Fedora getting a kickback from Toshiba for laptops that burned-out prematurely?) I've coded an instruction back in the day, and probably could have done this myself ... but Toshiba's on-line documentation was Zero. The Linux Users forum was the most pretentious bunch of dweebs I've ever come across!

Now I run Cygwin under Windows. Cygwin's emulation of Unix/Linux is plenty good enough for my needs.

There are a few ways to mix Windows and Linux:

- Dual boot
- Virtual machine(s)
- WSL
- Cygwin
- Wine

All of these are useful depending on requirements.

I'm also half-heartedly trying to set up a MacOS VM on a linux host. No luck yet, though.
In the past I've created a Hackintosh, and another time I managed to get a MacOS VM to boot once using sosumi, but finding a clean, easily reproducible setup has eluded me so far.

There are a few ways to mix Windows and Linux:

- Dual boot
- Virtual machine(s)
- WSL
- Cygwin
- Wine

All of these are useful depending on requirements.

I'm also half-heartedly trying to set up a MacOS VM on a linux host. No luck yet, though.
In the past I've created a Hackintosh, and another time I managed to get a MacOS VM to boot once using sosumi, but finding a clean, easily reproducible setup has eluded me so far.

Thanks.

I became a committed Unix fan in 1980. Some people worship the Christ, some Allah. Ken Thompson and Dennis Ritchie are my Gods. Beginning in the 1990's I ran Windows/Linux as a dual boot for over a decade and never had trouble with the booting. (Except for the inconvenience of switching from one system to the other.)

Ubuntu made me retch; and later I abandoned Fedora. It seemed that they were trying to adopt all the worst features of Windows, but none of the best. What finally made it intolerable on my Toshiba laptop is that Linux did not know how to slow down the CPU when it was idle. (Was Fedora getting a kickback from Toshiba for laptops that burned-out prematurely?) I've coded an instruction back in the day, and probably could have done this myself ... but Toshiba's on-line documentation was Zero. The Linux Users forum was the most pretentious bunch of dweebs I've ever come across!

Now I run Cygwin under Windows. Cygwin's emulation of Unix/Linux is plenty good enough for my needs.
You must have abandoned linux long time ago. It's been pretty good the last 10 years or so.

It is my humble opinion all operating systems are evil. Windows, Linux, MacOS, BSD, DOS, all of it. Even worse are the desktop environments, and browsers.

I keep trying to work up enthusiasm for installing a new system, but in the end, I just poop out.

Back
Top Bottom