• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Eating Homegrown Apples

So I made my "peel-on" apple pies with blueberries, bottom crust only. Absolutely outstanding result. Just cover the pies with foil for baking.

I used 1/3 the sugar the recipe called for. All the apples were organic from my yard and my brothers, probably five different varieties. Absolutely top-of-the-line apple pie. Apple pie does not come any better.

For the most part the peels were not even noticeable. I sliced the apples thin enough that the peels were in smallish pieces. They might have been a problem if they were your conventional type apples as the peels are usually waxed so they're kinda tough.

Best apple pie I ever ate.

Oh, and left out the cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, etc. Just apples, blueberries, sugar, flour and a crust from the store.

Every year brings a lot of butternut squash from the garden. This year was no different. So today I made two pies using butternut squash instead of pumpkin. I also added sweet potato and carrot from the garden. Except for the sweet potato I left the skin on everything and used an immersion blender to do the mixing before baking. The pies are great and I can taste no difference from when I used to peel the squash. What a time saver.

I can still see my mother peeling and then sieving her pumpkin, lots of unnecessary work that loses lots of nutrition.

With pies that call for added sugar I use 1/3 of what the recipe calls for, which usually comes out to just over a teaspoon of sugar per slice, which is 8 slices for a 9 inch pie. The pies are still plenty sweet.

we have this nutjob dog that eats my winter squash.

speaking of sweet potatoes: boil and mash your sweet potatoes. add garam masala and sriracha. take ripe (as in mostly black) plaintains, peel and fry in butter with garlic and lime juice. serve the two together in a bowl, half and half.

Back
Top Bottom