• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Education funding (split from "Classical Liberals")

Therefore, I want Loren Pretchel to make up his mind. Does he agree that we ought to make an investment in the education system, or does he disagree?
The problem here is you say "education system" as if it's monolithic.

For grade school and high school for the most part we fund it adequately. Poor schools are the result of poor students, not inadequate funding.

However, at the university level we have been cutting funding badly. More funding is definitely needed.
You have finally come clean.

Therefore, we have it in writing that Loren Pretchel is against investing in the K-12 education system. We have it on record that you are against investing in children's education.

Therefore, your views are basically authoritarian, in actual practice. I say that based on the principle that you must own the consequences of the policies that you advocate. For example, if radical Islamists "make war in the name of the peace of Allah," they are still a war-like movement, and it does not cease to be a war-like movement just because they protest otherwise. They are war-like because the consequences of their rhetoric and their practices lead to war.

Your views are really authoritarian based on the same principle. You must own the consequences of your views. They belong to you, no matter how much you might protest otherwise.

Also, the KIND of education that children are given is important for reducing authoritarian inclinations.

It's an old study, but I am not aware of any study that has contradicted it.

Education on cognitive skills, rather than rote learning, is important for countering authoritarianism, and this is particularly effective after the 8th Grade.

Since you are opposed to funding such an education for our youth, then your views are effectively authoritarian.

What is your justification in advocating for an authoritarian government? How do you think that an authoritarian government will make your life better, @Loren Pechtel?

You must own what the implementation of your views must inherently do. You will not weasel out of taking responsibility for the consequences of your agenda.

If you would turn the nation into an authoritarian cesspool by raiding the K-12 education system, then you ultimately must take responsibility and ownership over the fact that you have an authoritarian worldview.

As far as "bad students," I return to my remarks about education effectively being a eugenics program, even though it is not overtly so. The "good students" in any population do not have a fighting chance, in the breeding population, if they are not armed to defend their place in the breeding population. An education system gives them the cognitive skills they need to make sure that they can prove themselves more worthy than the "bad students." I am not pretending that all of the "bad students" can be fixed. I am not that naive. I am talking about giving the good ones weapons they can use to defend their place in the breeding population, and those weapons constitute cognitive skills that they uniquely have the constitutional ability and the natural desire to learn. It might take a couple of generations, but I think it works. Without an education system that teaches the geeky kid in class to how to turn his natural inclinations into a big house and a nice car, he is nothing more than a socially awkward loser. Such people are not as likely to reproduce when the education system does not support them.

Think of the kinds of people we need in the modern economy as like an athletic breed of horse. I have taken care of athletic breed horses before. Those warmbloods could barely survive in the wild. If you are a horse, then the personality type that makes a good athlete does not make you likely to live long without human intervention. I have seen athletic breed horses break their legs from running too fast just because they got overexcited, and that rarely happens to coldblood breeds. The kind of horse that you need for show jumping, racing, polo, and fancy dressage require substantially more maintenance. They are too high-strung to be left alone for too long, and they can be so dangerously aggressive that they fight like cats if you put the wrong two horses together. The meaner the horse, though, the smoother the ride. For some reason, that predator-like aggression results in them moving like jungle cats. They might be aggressive, but once you get good at handling them without potentially getting killed, they are a dream to ride. Taking a leap while on the back of a good Arabian is like best sex you ever had. It's worth getting bitten over.

As uncomfortable as most people are admitting it, the education system thereby acts like a breeding program. Yes, I would get criticism for saying that in most quarters of society, but we dragons are famous for saying outrageous things.

The education system needs money to run well. I will accept no compromise on it.
Moreover, our education system fails in two spectacular ways, and one is one of the ways Loren proposed inversely to the reality: poor schools actually need more funding, because not every student to go to a poor school is a poor student.

Maybe you need more money focused on teachers who are good at teaching poor students, but the second...

We still need teachers at poor schools specialized in teaching poor students, too. Both specializations cost money.

Our next big generational "make a future" job should be "teacher".
I was once the geeky kid at a school full of ruffians, and the poor quality of education there left kids like me without a fighting chance of reaching our full potential. Mind you, I am not saying that I am necessarily anything special (I am a dragon, but I am a perfectly ordinary dragon, not one of those rare tianlong), but even us perfectly ordinary dragons can make respectable accountants.

The ones in the system that there is hope for need to be given the skills to fight for relevance and, eventually, dominance. We dragons cannot fight if you do not help us breed.

Therefore, we have it in writing that Loren Pretchel is against investing in the K-12 education system. We have it on record that you are against investing in children's education.
You know that is not what he meant. The issue is the erroneous assumption - shown time and again to be wrong - that the solution to every problem is to spend more money. It doesn’t matter how much you spend if the students don’t care and misbehave. E.g., Baltimore spends more than twice per student than Utah, and this is what it gets:

Therefore, I want Loren Pretchel to make up his mind. Does he agree that we ought to make an investment in the education system, or does he disagree?

For grade school and high school for the most part we fund it adequately. Poor schools are the result of poor students, not inadequate funding.

However, at the university level we have been cutting funding badly. More funding is definitely needed.

I'm saying that for the most part we are investing enough in K-12, not that we shouldn't invest.

Moreover, our education system fails in two spectacular ways, and one is one of the ways Loren proposed inversely to the reality: poor schools actually need more funding, because not every student to go to a poor school is a poor student.

We've already tried throwing money at this problem--to zero effect. The only way you're going to save those students is put them in a school where they aren't dragged down by the crowd--and the left will not tolerate any such approach. (And the right isn't interested in fixing it.)

For the record, I do have five claws on each paw like the tianlong, but I am not sure that those count because they are really barely more than dewclaws. It would be a gross exaggeration to suggest that I am a true polydactyl.

@Loren Pechtel You as much as said that you would oppose any further investment in the k-12 education system, so you are really quite authoritarian. I am not letting you out of the consequences of your views.

Again, I hold the peculiar view that an education system serves to breed a population to be receptive to being improved by it. Again, compare the sorts of students that excel when they have been educated with the more athletic breeds of horse. The less athletic breeds of horse really thrive on neglect. If you just leave them in a big pasture with plenty of grass, they'll be fine, and they largely take care of themselves. The athletes, though, are temperamental, mischievous troublemakers that get themselves in the most ridiculous situations and then need to be rescued. It is almost unbelievable how much horse a hotblooded breed of horse can get himself into. They are walking disaster areas. The point is that they are higher maintenance horses that can nevertheless do extraordinary things if they are properly trained.

I think that the sorts of humans that are amenable to being improved by the education system are really similar, and by giving them an adequate education, we can give them more of a fighting chance in the world. If we give them a fighting chance, they can establish themselves as a relevant part of society and, eventually, a dominant part of society.

Therefore, I am convinced that we actually can improve a population simply by having a well funded education system there for generations.

Therefore, your views are basically authoritarian, in actual practice. I say that based on the principle that you must own the consequences of the policies that you advocate. For example, if radical Islamists "make war in the name of the peace of Allah," they are still a war-like movement, and it does not cease to be a war-like movement just because they protest otherwise. They are war-like because the consequences of their rhetoric and their practices lead to war.

Your views are really authoritarian based on the same principle. You must own the consequences of your views. They belong to you, no matter how much you might protest otherwise.

Also, the KIND of education that children are given is important for reducing authoritarian inclinations.

It's an old study, but I am not aware of any study that has contradicted it.

Education on cognitive skills, rather than rote learning, is important for countering authoritarianism, and this is particularly effective after the 8th Grade.

Since you are opposed to funding such an education for our youth, then your views are effectively authoritarian.

What is your justification in advocating for an authoritarian government? How do you think that an authoritarian government will make your life better, @Loren Pechtel?

You must own what the implementation of your views must inherently do. You will not weasel out of taking responsibility for the consequences of your agenda.

If you would turn the nation into an authoritarian cesspool by raiding the K-12 education system, then you ultimately must take responsibility and ownership over the fact that you have an authoritarian worldview.

As far as "bad students," I return to my remarks about education effectively being a eugenics program, even though it is not overtly so. The "good students" in any population do not have a fighting chance, in the breeding population, if they are not armed to defend their place in the breeding population. An education system gives them the cognitive skills they need to make sure that they can prove themselves more worthy than the "bad students." I am not pretending that all of the "bad students" can be fixed. I am not that naive. I am talking about giving the good ones weapons they can use to defend their place in the breeding population, and those weapons constitute cognitive skills that they uniquely have the constitutional ability and the natural desire to learn. It might take a couple of generations, but I think it works. Without an education system that teaches the geeky kid in class to how to turn his natural inclinations into a big house and a nice car, he is nothing more than a socially awkward loser. Such people are not as likely to reproduce when the education system does not support them.

Think of the kinds of people we need in the modern economy as like an athletic breed of horse. I have taken care of athletic breed horses before. Those warmbloods could barely survive in the wild. If you are a horse, then the personality type that makes a good athlete does not make you likely to live long without human intervention. I have seen athletic breed horses break their legs from running too fast just because they got overexcited, and that rarely happens to coldblood breeds. The kind of horse that you need for show jumping, racing, polo, and fancy dressage require substantially more maintenance. They are too high-strung to be left alone for too long, and they can be so dangerously aggressive that they fight like cats if you put the wrong two horses together. The meaner the horse, though, the smoother the ride. For some reason, that predator-like aggression results in them moving like jungle cats. They might be aggressive, but once you get good at handling them without potentially getting killed, they are a dream to ride. Taking a leap while on the back of a good Arabian is like best sex you ever had. It's worth getting bitten over.

As uncomfortable as most people are admitting it, the education system thereby acts like a breeding program. Yes, I would get criticism for saying that in most quarters of society, but we dragons are famous for saying outrageous things.

The education system needs money to run well. I will accept no compromise on it.

Maybe you need more money focused on teachers who are good at teaching poor students, but the second...

We still need teachers at poor schools specialized in teaching poor students, too. Both specializations cost money.

Our next big generational "make a future" job should be "teacher".
I was once the geeky kid at a school full of ruffians, and the poor quality of education there left kids like me without a fighting chance of reaching our full potential. Mind you, I am not saying that I am necessarily anything special (I am a dragon, but I am a perfectly ordinary dragon, not one of those rare tianlong), but even us perfectly ordinary dragons can make respectable accountants.

The ones in the system that there is hope for need to be given the skills to fight for relevance and, eventually, dominance. We dragons cannot fight if you do not help us breed.
Lol, I repeated poor. I mean "good, and poor".

And you can't get that from removing the good students from the poor, necessarily.

The hard part is, you have to teach them with the peers of their community. If you do not, the students themselves will resist you.

In a lot of cases with more money comes more responsibilities to wisely spend that money, and more oversight NOT in the realm of testing but in the realm of teacher salaries.

But beyond the fact that we need to pay the teachers in such "poor" schools so much GD money that there becomes a real incentive to compete for those jobs, there is also the reality that we need to figure out how to minimize parental leverage over the education system.

The latter is the harder problem insofar as parents think educational infrastructure ought be beholden first to their concerns as the pupils are "their" children, despite the fact that we don't educate their children "for them specifically", we educate their children "for the sake of everyone".

there is also the reality that we need to figure out how to minimize parental leverage over the education system.

The latter is the harder problem insofar as parents think educational infrastructure ought be beholden first to their concerns as the pupils are "their" children, despite the fact that we don't educate their children "for them specifically", we educate their children "for the sake of everyone".
This has got to be a joke. One blatant difference between good schools and bad schools is the level of parental involvement.

Involvement is not the same as "leverage".

It is the difference between "power to" and "power over".

One is the ability to contribute, and the other is control over who contributed what.

Parents obviously need the former, though can ot be coerced into giving it; when they fail to do so, it is down to the teachers to fill in that unenviable gap.

Parents do not need the latter. They need no say in how they are asked to contribute and be involved, nor in what the educational system offers as information about society and language and math.

Instead, that comes down to qualified teachers, who must be deputized with the power to teach, and armed with the tools to do so effectively, not the least of all a salary that gets them in the door carrying the other tools, especially when parents are absent or failures.

Involvement is not the same as "leverage".

It is the difference between "power to" and "power over".

One is the ability to contribute, and the other is control over who contributed what.

Parents obviously need the former, though can ot be coerced into giving it; when they fail to do so, it is down to the teachers to fill in that unenviable gap.

Parents do not need the latter. They need no say in how they are asked to contribute and be involved, nor in what the educational system offers as information about society and language and math.

Instead, that comes down to qualified teachers, who must be deputized with the power to teach, and armed with the tools to do so effectively, not the least of all a salary that gets them in the door carrying the other tools, especially when parents are absent or failures.
You apparently do not have kids.

You know that is not what he meant. The issue is the erroneous assumption - shown time and again to be wrong - that the solution to every problem is to spend more money. It doesn’t matter how much you spend if the students don’t care and misbehave. E.g., Baltimore spends more than twice per student than Utah, and this is what it gets:

So this is interesting.

Then, why all the hubub about Asian kids having to compete with affirmative action to get into Harvard?
If throwing money at school will never make it better, why aren’t they happy going to U-Mass?

=“loren”]

No, we totally do not fund all schools adequately. The fact that underperforming schools have student bodies of 5000-8000 while well performing ones have 2000 or less is testament to this. The fact that some schools have 2x or more funding per student is testament to this. The fact that rich people send their kids to private elementary schools is testament to this.

One blatant difference between good schools and bad schools is the level of parental involvement.

And this is absolutely something that needs to be addressed through increased funding to poor neighborhoods. Where families move in and out frequently due to loss of housing or need to change jobs. Where parents cannot show up because they are working two jobs. Where parents work jobs that do not allow them to have flexibility to interact with the school.

Parental involvement is a privilege of those who do not have income insecurity.

No, we totally do not fund all schools adequately. The fact that underperforming schools have student bodies of 5000-8000 while well performing ones have 2000 or less is testament to this. The fact that some schools have 2x or more funding per student is testament to this. The fact that rich people send their kids to private elementary schools is testament to this.
While there are big funding differences there are two problems with this:

School funding is both regular education and special ed. Really, they budgets should be considered separately.

Second, the budget per student has little relationship to outcome.

So this is interesting.

Then, why all the hubub about Asian kids having to compete with affirmative action to get into Harvard?
If throwing money at school will never make it better, why aren’t they happy going to U-Mass?

Wut? That's about institutional racism not funding.

And this is absolutely something that needs to be addressed through increased funding to poor neighborhoods. Where families move in and out frequently due to loss of housing or need to change jobs. Where parents cannot show up because they are working two jobs. Where parents work jobs that do not allow them to have flexibility to interact with the school.

Parental involvement is a privilege of those who do not have income insecurity.
It doesn't matter how much you fund a school if the students and parents don't value education. Your assumption seems to be that the teachers are just bad and don't care. That's not entirely true (though maybe kinda true in some instances). My lived experience (hee hee) of moving around growing up was that in the bad schools I attended (inner city / urban) the teachers tried really hard. I have memories of teachers completely distraught of students who constantly caused disruption and were rude and even abusive to the teacher. School funding isn't gonna change that.

It doesn't matter how much you fund a school if the students and parents don't value education. Your assumption seems to be that the teachers are just bad and don't care. That's not entirely true (though maybe kinda true in some instances). My lived experience (hee hee) of moving around growing up was that in the bad schools I attended (inner city / urban) the teachers tried really hard. I have memories of teachers completely distraught of students who constantly caused disruption and were rude and even abusive to the teacher. School funding isn't gonna change that.
Exactly. If the kids have no desire to learn it doesn't matter what the teacher does. A few kids are lucky and have their own desire to learn, but for most it must come from the parents. An uneducated kid is not in a position to see the value of education.

We should be looking for a way to identify and save those that have an innate desire, but beyond that it's not a problem the school can solve. The left won't accept this and ends up dragging down those that could be saved, the right doesn't even recognize there are some that can be saved.

In terms of testing general intelligence or general educational aptitude, I don't think there are true objective measures.

pinkerIQ.jpg
And this shows that IQs are true objective measures because ..........?
This amazingly is from Slate, just before it became insufferably woke.

What this all means is that the SAT measures something—some stable characteristic of high school students other than their parents’ income—that translates into success in college. And what could that characteristic be? General intelligence. The content of the SAT is practically indistinguishable from that of standardized intelligence tests that social scientists use to study individual differences, and that psychologists and psychiatrists use to determine whether a person is intellectually disabled—and even whether a person should be spared execution in states that have the death penalty. Scores on the SAT correlate very highly with scores on IQ tests—so highly that the Harvard education scholar Howard Gardner, known for his theory of multiple intelligences, once called the SAT and other scholastic measures “thinly disguised” intelligence tests.
I can't believe Slate hasn't scrubbed this from its own record.

Could your characterisation possibly be more dishonest?

He did not say he was against investing in K-12 education. He said the investment we have is the right amount.

He did not say he was against investing in K-12 education. He said the investment we have is the right amount.
Mostly the right amount. There are places that are lacking but it's mostly a matter of the students. Note that when the students don't care putting money into expensive equipment just gets it wrecked or stolen.

We do have a problem with not providing classroom supplies but the amount of money this entails is a pretty small percent of the overall budget.

So essentially the premise of government school is:
The public provide money to the schools, and in exchange the schools provide education to the public.

Seeing the results, I think the public is due a refund due to breach of contract on the part of the schools.
It’s fun that if the schools fail at their task, the solution isn’t to fire the “educators” but to give them more tax-payer money. Rinse and repeat.

Mostly the right amount. There are places that are lacking but it's mostly a matter of the students. Note that when the students don't care putting money into expensive equipment just gets it wrecked or stolen.

We do have a problem with not providing classroom supplies but the amount of money this entails is a pretty small percent of the overall budget.
That guy still hasn't figured out that I have him on ignore?

@Loren Pechtel Your views are still basically authoritarian. The reason why I accuse you so is that education, especially education in cognitive skills like critical thinking, is the single biggest threat in the world against authoritarian governments. Authoritarianism cannot survive in a world where most people are educated in the kinds of thinking skills that they need in order to solve their own problems in rational ways. When authoritarian politicians get into power, the first thing they do, under whatever pretense they choose to do so, is to attack the education system. Whether you are attacking attempts to invest more in the education system when it is struggling, which it still is in many parts of the United States, or attempting to directly raid the education system in the name of "cutting waste" just so as to throw your constituents a tax cut, I do not care. Ultimately, attacks on the education system invariably come from authoritarian quarters of our political sphere.

Whether you like it or not, then, you are a brainwashed authoritarian, and I do not care what pretenses you choose to paint over it. You are no more intent on "liberating" anybody than Russia was intent on "liberating" Ukraine by flattening any city that resisted them under their jack boot. Calling yourself "libertarian" really does not mean that you give a shit about liberty in any real sense. Calling yourself a liberator does not make you a liberator.

If you are really nothing more than a petulant fool that does not like the responsibility of paying taxes, then you are a petulant fool that does not like the responsibility of paying taxes, but that has nothing to do with liberty. If the decisions that you make to that end must inevitably lead to your society being vulnerable to an authoritarian autocrat, then you are not really defending anybody's liberty, but you are throwing away your people's liberty because you are a petulant fool that does not like the responsibility of paying taxes.

No matter how many justifications you attempt to build onto it, you know what the consequence is going to be, and I deny that you are really delusional enough or stupid enough that you do not understand those consequences. if you deliberately choose actions that lead to those consequences, then you own those consequences.

I therefore accuse you of really having authoritarian views.

And I would rather not hear you put the blame for the long-term symptoms of multi-generational neglect onto children again. Let me cut through your justifications, here, so everyone can understand what you are really doing.

@Loren Pechtel has chosen to blame children for the symptoms of poverty.

I grew up in a poor area with an absolutely shitty education system, and I was deprived, on top of that. When I punched a teacher for having the nerve to grab me and shake me, I was put into a group of trailers for students that had been branded as mentally unwell, and throughout three years of my education, I was deprived of even a shitty education except what I could scrape out of books on my own time.

The only reason that I did not turn out to be more ignorant than I did was that I was a little queer from a conservative evangelical background, and that gave me an intense motivation to seek out companionship that encouraged and empowered me to question the value-system that had oppressed me. That led to me embracing intellectualism with a vigor that otherwise would not have been particularly likely. I used intellectual swagger as a shield against spiritual abuse, but without that motivation behind me, I would have turned out to be functionally illiterate. I only embraced intellectualism because I needed to in order to protect myself from a very sick form of abuse that otherwise would have driven me to kill myself. While it was an effective motivation, it was ultimately not a healthy situation. I am still seeing psychiatrists because of the damage that was left behind by that motivation.

Nevertheless, that was really not a substitute for a really meaningful education, and it has taken me years to get my life organized to such a point that I can live with any appreciable degree of dignity whatsoever. The deprivation of my education really did nothing to make my life better, but it led to me spending costly years figuring out practical things about the world that I really ought to have been taught. There is only so much you can learn from books, wikis, and free thought message boards. As someone from a rural area that literally walked out of the woods barefoot (the topsiders fell apart on the way), I was not sure that something as simple as an urban parking deck did not imply the existence of a space port somewhere.

I only spent a very short increment of my adult life blaming black people for the defects in my education system, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized that my culture's very despair of those children had helped to contribute to their dysfunctional behavior. The very fact that their school was run like a prison led to them internalizing the belief that they should behave like prisoners. They were angry at the system because they knew that superintendent was robbing them blind. They saw the expensive cars and the yachts of the social elites. They knew that the children of the rich were going to private academies, not to the underfunded cesspool they were kept in. They were angry because they knew that their society had contempt for them. They would not buy in because they did not expect any justice to come of them buying in. Nothing was really being done to change their minds. Their experience only instilled what they already knew, which was that their society had contempt for them. It might not have helped them that they gave back the same contempt, but I also do not blame them. Not anymore.

I was going to a school where teachers were considered to have a right to grab and shake children for disobedience, and children that objected to being treated in this way were treated as inconvenient garbage that they could not throw away. I was put into a place that the administration of that school considered to be a waiting room for a place in prison.

I found out later that that school had gotten embroiled in multiple lawsuits by the families of children with developmental and psychiatric disorders, and I was apparently not the only child that had been treated like utter garbage by that school. The school system in that town has improved significantly since they were called to task by a group of parents of children with disabilities, but when I was attending there, that school was a hellhole.

I might have been wise to choose being an enlightened savage over embracing such a self-defeating concept of civilization, but you cannot fix an education system that broken without spending money on it. There is not an easy way to do it. It is much harder and more expensive to repair what is broken than it will ever be to polish and oil what is intact. It can take generations to repair a total loss of confidence.

It tells me everything that I think the world really needs to know about @Loren Pechtel that he would blame the children.

When the children come from economically devastated backgrounds and the teachers do not care enough about them to or have adequate training to give them a chance, then it is wrong to blame the children for their failures. It takes truly inspired teachers to win over children that come from anti-intellectual cultural backgrounds. Teaching is as much of a skill of political persuasion as it is instruction. It is a hard thing to do. If you are not willing to invest in producing teachers that have been taught how to turn poor districts around, then you are a blind fool if you blame the children of those districts for the consequences.

You do not understand this the way that I do. I saw it in action. I saw what was going on in a poor district. I was embroiled in that dysfunction. The fact that I embraced intellectualism as a defense mechanism, out of a sense of desperation to give myself an excuse not to kill myself, does not really change the fact that the system that I came from cannot help but to produce dysfunctional people.

It is always the children's fault from the standpoint of people that have very weak character.

Well, whether you choose to be grateful for it or not, the education system is the best shield that our society has against authoritarianism. Our education system is best weapon we have for defending our liberty. Wherever anti-intellectualism has taken root in our culture, it is imperative, for the survival of liberty, to find allies in those places and to persuade them to stand up for a better way of life.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom