• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Elections, Power, and the State - How Loathsome and Shameless Can it Get?

maxparrish

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Libertarian-Conservative, Agnostic.
In the category of 'you can't make this stuff up', this year's electioneering, lawfare, fraud, and overt use of the federal policing agencies on behalf of the latest generation of Democratic politicians is particularly notable in its no excuse brazenness and threatening authoritarianism as a means to an end.

One example:

Over one million NY democrats opened their mail to find a letter from the State Democratic Committee essentially telling the voter that he/she had better vote "or else". In a tone more reminiscent of a letter by John Gotti than get out the vote booster:

xScreen-Shot-2014-10-31-at-8.22.15-AM.png,qresize=580,P2C261.pagespeed.ic.AOmZXYY6D4.png

The woman also received a report card of her voting record, pointing out that she had failed to vote in two of the last four elections.
Overall, the notices were sent out to 1 million registered Democrats who had failed to vote in previous midterm elections, according to the group.
The committee — chaired by former Gov. David Paterson — defended the scare tactic, calling it standard practice throughout the country.
http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2014/10/dems-keep-it-creepy.php

The new mentality in politics...

What the heck?! I wouldn't call it loathesome and shameless. I'd label it "disturbing" and "invasive".

So umm... tell me more about the Green Party.

It's a really dumb postcard and I was annoyed by it before I threw it out with the daily Comcast mailer.

The state Republicans here have been simply making things up about individual Democratic candidates and the media is calling them on it big time. Probably won't sway the elections, but it doesn't help the GOP in a state that they aren't popular in.

I got one of those here in Minnesota. I'm not sure who sent it as I did vote in the last few elections and we don't register with the party.

Oh looky here, It's not from the Democrats
http://www.866ourvote.org/

And this group is a partner: www.youtube.com

In a prior thread on a study of "How Politics Makes Us Stupid" the authors noted that when 'evidence' supports a person's political view, no matter how bright he/she is, they are unable to see its errors. I offered a real example from the Democratic Party of New York - and you oddly claim that "hey I got one of those" from a left of center website and a link to the youtube home page.

So what is your point? That other left of center groups also send the same threatening letters, even though as lawyers they should know better?

I got one of those here in Minnesota. I'm not sure who sent it as I did vote in the last few elections and we don't register with the party.

Oh looky here, It's not from the Democrats
http://www.866ourvote.org/

And this group is a partner: www.youtube.com

In a prior thread on a study of "How Politics Makes Us Stupid" the authors noted that when 'evidence' supports a person's political view, no matter how bright he/she is, they are unable to see its errors. I offered a real example from the Democratic Party of New York - and you oddly claim that "hey I got one of those" from a left of center website and a link to the youtube home page.

So what is your point? That other left of center groups also send the same threatening letters, even though as lawyers they should know better?
Hi there, I looked at the evidence. Mine did not come from the MN Democratic Party and NO WHERE on what you posted said it came from the I looked up the phone number on the ad and linked it to the organization that arranged and sent these out. So sorry if I overlooked the small print from your conspiracy website. Minnesota Democrats have no idea how I vote and I get just as creepy things from the right as I was mailed some information on how Blacks and Hispanics are stealing the election and we white people should stand up. So you may think this is weird,or some kind of confirmation bias... but no, these folks are lying as they did not check the voter rolls to find out if I had voted or how I had voted. Like I said, this is a piece of crap mailer that I looked at and discarded. Why? Because it was a piece of crap like the one telling me to vote white.

Uhm...

Where exactly is the fraud, abuse and threats I was promised?

The letter provided in the OP doesn't contain any of those things. The article linked in the OP calls it creepy and bullying, but it isn't either of those either.

Only in the minds of people with an irrational hatred of the political party putting this out, could a letter be charterized as threathening when it it literally does nothing more than point out that "hey, you didn't vote. Politics being our game, we'd kind of like you to vote. Could you maybe try and vote next time? Please? Or if you won't, could you maybe help us to understand why not?"

Then again, if American conservatives already get scared from a polite letter, then that *does* explain a few things.

Hi there, I looked at the evidence. Mine did not come from the MN Democratic Party and NO WHERE on what you posted said it came from the I looked up the phone number on the ad and linked it to the organization that arranged and sent these out. So sorry if I overlooked the small print from your conspiracy website. Minnesota Democrats have no idea how I vote and I get just as creepy things from the right as I was mailed some information on how Blacks and Hispanics are stealing the election and we white people should stand up. So you may think this is weird,or some kind of confirmation bias... but no, these folks are lying as they did not check the voter rolls to find out if I had voted or how I had voted. Like I said, this is a piece of crap mailer that I looked at and discarded. Why? Because it was a piece of crap like the one telling me to vote white.

No need to apologize, but I could not figure out why a left groups use of the same (or similar) threatening form letter was of relevance. The New York State Democratic Committee sent the letter to one million, and is chaired by former Gov. David Paterson, who "defended the scare tactic, calling it standard practice throughout the country.

“This flier is part of the nationwide Democratic response to traditional Republican voter-suppression efforts,..." . Perhaps so, but it is also creepy and dissing the average Democrat, assuming he/she is a tool that needs to be intimidated by the State Democratic Committee.

Go here to see the source: http://nydems.org/

Finally, note that I don't support any nonsensical scaring of an identity group, especially on the basis of race, gender, or class. Even so, this letter was not to alert a person to a looming victory for a blood tribe they hate BUT, to intimidate and threaten someone into voting.

That is unacceptable and indicative of a bullying mindset.

Finally, note that I don't support any nonsensical scaring of an identity group, especially on the basis of race, gender, or class. Even so, this letter was not to alert a person to a looming victory for a blood tribe they hate BUT, to intimidate and threaten someone into voting.

In no way does asking people to vote, or to explain why they don't vote, constitute intimidating or threatening them.

In no way does asking people to vote, or to explain why they don't vote, constitute intimidating or threatening them.

Especially in my case where I knew the postcard was BS and tossed it. The only way I remember it is that I thought it was for something else and noted that it was weird. Then it went into recycling. The wording was close to the one posted above if not identical.

Why are voting lists public? I get why there's a case for the government to tally that kind of information but I don't see why there'd be any need to release it for anything beyond statistical results about it.

They are referring to voter registration rolls, which are public. This way you can see if your dead relatives and Mickey Mouse are registered to vote in your precinct.

Uhm...

Where exactly is the fraud, abuse and threats I was promised?

The letter provided in the OP doesn't contain any of those things. The article linked in the OP calls it creepy and bullying, but it isn't either of those either.

Only in the minds of people with an irrational hatred of the political party putting this out, could a letter be charterized as threathening when it it literally does nothing more than point out that "hey, you didn't vote. Politics being our game, we'd kind of like you to vote. Could you maybe try and vote next time? Please? Or if you won't, could you maybe help us to understand why not?"

Then again, if American conservatives already get scared from a polite letter, then that *does* explain a few things.

You would have to be extraordinarily tone deaf (or partisan) to miss the difference between your imaginary letter of cheery, and earnest pleading, and the letter which was actually written.

You see, they didn't write using "hey", "please", "could you maybe" or "we'd kinda like you to vote", did they? They did not write (your words): ""hey, you didn't vote. Politics being our game, we'd kind of like you to vote. Could you maybe try and vote next time? Please? Or if you won't, could you maybe help us to understand why not?". Can't find those words, can you?

Rather the letter actually says: “Who you vote for is your secret. But whether or not you vote is public record,” and then warns the reader that "many organizations will be monitoring turnout" in your neighborhood. Later it promises WE WILL BE REVIEWING the (your) voting records after the election ". . . to determine whether you joined your neighbors who voted in 2014.” And if you didn't THEY'd "be interested" to hear why you did not.

The tone and wording conveys exactly what it intends to, no "please" or "could you maybe" within a country mile. As another left of center poster noted (Higgins): "I'd label it "disturbing" and "invasive". "

And by the way, this is not insulting to Republicans or Independents - its insulting to the Democratic constituency. (But I suppose there will always be those who will piss on their own supporters shoes and then try to convince them its raining...and some of the wet shoed will buy it).

Last edited:
Actually, this would be worse because it is indicating specific knowledge that those people voted for a certain way. The Dems say they have no idea, just that you should vote and if you don't, No Knuckles Vinny will be visiting your place. Elections in this country just continue to get more nonsensical, with no signs of improvement.

They are referring to voter registration rolls, which are public. This way you can see if your dead relatives and Mickey Mouse are registered to vote in your precinct.

Ya, the registration roles are fine to have public but why would activity on those roles be something that the public needs to know?

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, this would be worse because it is indicating specific knowledge that those people voted for a certain way. The Dems say they have no idea, just that you should vote and if you don't, No Knuckles Vinny will be visiting your place. Elections in this country just continue to get more nonsensical, with no signs of improvement.

No, it's not indicating specific knowledge.

It's saying "These people voted". Then under that, it has a GOP logo to let you know that they're the ones giving you that information.

Ya, the registration roles are fine to have public but why would activity on those roles be something that the public needs to know?

I suspects this varies from location to location what information is available (probably why mine said I didn't vote when I had - they have no clue), but we also take our jury lists and FEMA camp enrollees from those rolls.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

It's saying "These people voted". Then under that, it has a GOP logo to let you know that they're the ones giving you that information.

What? My asshole neighbor voted GOP! I'll show him.

- - - Updated - - -

Perhaps, but that's some pretty deliberate obfuscation there.

Dear Iowa GOP,

We are very unhappy with your mailer, requesting that we ensure that we vote in order to elect principled Republicans for our country. It's a nice, pollyannish thought but its far too bland, non specific, and gentle. Come now, you need something more ominous, a little more Boss Tweed or the Sopranos in a veiled warning. Its not that hard, stuff like this is already available from Democrats. You should have written something like this to fellow Republicans:

Dear Biff and Judy Jones,

Our records indicate that you are registered to vote in Polk County, Iowa.

Who you vote for is your secret. But (remember) whether or not you vote is on the public record. Many of (our) organizations monitor turnout in your neighborhood and are disappointed by the inconsistent voting of many of your neighbors.

We will be reviewing Polk County official voting records after the upcoming election to determine whether you joined your neighbors
who voted in 2014. (And) If you do not vote this year, we will be interested to hear why not."

Sincerely,

Iowa Republican Central Committee.

As you can see, its has a stern and authoritarian tone, shorn of any politeness. This official form letter is being used all over the country, and it lets Republicans know that the Grand Old Party is checking your compliance after the election (i.e. Big Jumbo is watching). And we want to know WHY you failed IF you do not comply.

Back
Top Bottom