• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Electron shells

Basic Beliefs
Civilizationist
It looks to me like the charge and the mass of an electron exist in two separate shells.
The principal quantum number n gives the size of the mass shell.
The quantum number l tells how much larger the charge shell is than the mass shell.
The red lines represent electrons that have the same size charge shell.

Radius of mass shell = 3^n
n=2 is 3 times larger than n=1
n=3 is 9 times larger than n=1

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/pertab/perfill.html

fmNcAnj.jpg

It's apparently the mass shells that are responsible for electron pairing.
And the charge shells are responsible for Van Der waals Force.

It looks to me like the charge and the mass of an electron exist in two separate shells.
The principal quantum number n gives the size of the mass shell. Size = 3^n.
The quantum number L tells how much larger the charge shell is than the mass shell.
L=0 means they are the same size. L=1 means charge shell is 3 times bigger.
The red lines represent electrons that have the same size charge shell which is why the red lines give the order in which electron shells are filled.

The charge shells are responsible for Van Der waals Force.
The mass shells that are responsible for electron pairing and electron degeneracy pressure which is what prevents atoms from passing through each other.

VS7fI5S.jpg

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/pertab/perfill.html

I assume you're talking to no one in particular.

;)
EB

The quantum number l tells how much larger the charge shell is than the mass shell.
Ignorant nonsense. I'm familiar with this subject, but it's rather difficult to explain it without its math.

Electrons have wave-particle duality. This means that they are more-or-less waves with some fixed total quantity of wave. For electrons in atoms, one must solve a wave equations, since electrons in atoms are essentially standing waves with an atom's outer electrons' wavelengths determining the size of the atom.

A familiar example of a standing wave is the vibrations of a string in a musical instrument, like a guitar. The string vibrates in several modes, one with no zero crossings, one with one zero crossing, one with two zero crossings, etc. The Vibration of a Fixed-Fixed String is rather mathematical, but it shows some string vibration modes.

Going from 1D to 3D adds some complications, but the overall principle is the same.

Ignorant nonsense.
I think that it is fair to say that it impresses no one in particular.

Peez

What is the horizontal axis here? What is the justification for choosing each data point's value of it?

no-one-particular, if you presented this graph to some professional scientists, or even some graduate students at a journal club, they will start asking lots of critical questions. If you think that it is beneath your dignity to answer them, and if you claim that they are treating you like Galileo, they will take that as proof that your ideas are worthless.

Back
Top Bottom