• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

End of church state seperation

none

Banned
Banned
Basic Beliefs
atheist/ignostic
the republicans put this in their platform

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friend...mps-victory-means-for-churchstate-separation/
As it stands, churches (and other non-profits) do not have to pay taxes. But that also means they can’t endorse candidates from the pulpit. Trump has pledged to repeal the law that says that — the Johnson Amendment — and that idea made its way into the GOP’s 2016 platform.

If he successfully repeals it, evangelical churches around the country will essentially become arms of the Republican Party. Church and state will be intertwined in a way we’ve never seen before.
One of the most dearly held principles of religious liberty is that government should not compel any citizen to furnish funds in support of a religion with which he or she disagrees, or even a religion with which he or she does agree. Voucher programs, however, violate that central tenet: they use taxpayer money to fund primarily religious education. Indeed, approximately 80% of the students participating in the D.C. voucher program attend religious schools. Parents certainly may choose such an education for their children, but no taxpayer should be required to pay for another‘s religious education.
what a loss

Do you really think the candidate who was member of the Fellowship/Family was so great for CSS either?
Hillary's Prayer: Hillary Clinton's Religion and Politics
This is completely irrelevant to the issue that Trump promised to allow tax-exempt religious entities to officially endorse candidates and keep their tax exempt status. HRC lost, so there is no need for you to continue to bore everyone with your HRC hate obsession.

Do you really think the candidate who was member of the Fellowship/Family was so great for CSS either?
This is completely irrelevant to the issue that Trump promised to allow tax-exempt religious entities to officially endorse candidates and keep their tax exempt status. HRC lost, so there is no need for you to continue to bore everyone with your HRC hate obsession.

Bingo.

We'll see. I'm not entirely sold that Trump gives even 1/2 a shit about the Religious right. It's what role will Pence play in all that concerns me. If Pence is really going to be the one that picks the justices then that's a problem, If Pence wants another Scalia, but Trump picks someone between Sandra Day O'Connor & Anthony Kennedy, then it's not nearly as bad assuming he can get it past the Senate.

We'll see. I'm not entirely sold that Trump gives even 1/2 a shit about the Religious right. It's what role will Pence play in all that concerns me. If Pence is really going to be the one that picks the justices then that's a problem, If Pence wants another Scalia, but Trump picks someone between Sandra Day O'Connor & Anthony Kennedy, then it's not nearly as bad assuming he can get it past the Senate.

Trump may not give a shit about the religious right, but he also doesn't not give a shit about them. I see him handing them whatever they want just so they'll be on his side when he gets around to the stuff that he does give a shit about. He doesn't want a fight with the GOP over SC nominees, so choosing someone who would make the evangelicals jizz keeps them behind him for other, more important (to him) things.

Trump will not give a shit about any thing if it does not make him feel like a winner.

Trump may not give a shit about the religious right, but he also doesn't not give a shit about them. I see him handing them whatever they want just so they'll be on his side when he gets around to the stuff that he does give a shit about. He doesn't want a fight with the GOP over SC nominees, so choosing someone who would make the evangelicals jizz keeps them behind him for other, more important (to him) things.

I'm not so sure about that, he may do just enough to keep them from revolting in enough numbers to harm his chances at reelection. I think he can get away with appointing someone just left of Anthony Kennedy, if he's willing to sell it hard enough. I don't think he'll appoint the same justices that HRC or Obama would have appointed, but I think it might not be as bad as Cruz or Pence.

I'm not so sure about that, he may do just enough to keep them from revolting in enough numbers to harm his chances at reelection. I think he can get away with appointing someone just left of Anthony Kennedy, if he's willing to sell it hard enough. I don't think he'll appoint the same justices that HRC or Obama would have appointed, but I think it might not be as bad as Cruz or Pence.

I don't think that there's any hope of that at all. Trump wants to implement an agenda and he wants to get that agenda passed as easily as possible. That means having the GOP onboard with it since they control the legislature. One of the very first things he's going to do in regards to that legislature is nominate a SC Justice and that will set the tone of his interactions with them. He will give them the Scalia type they want to show them that he is on their team and that they can work together.

I want to thank Derec for linking that article from 2007. It not only demonstrates how Hillary's bias goes beyond Methodist righteousness (and for me explains her annoying head nodding routine) but the prevalence of an underlying elitist theocracy in Washington. I wasn't aware of how insidious it is. It seems to be totally overlooked by the media (except for Mother Jones). I bet it will be very relevant to the Trump/Pence administration.

Trump has pledged to repeal the law that says that — the Johnson Amendment — and that idea made its way into the GOP’s 2016 platform.

If he successfully repeals it, evangelical churches around the country will essentially become arms of the Republican Party. Church and state will be intertwined in a way we’ve never seen before.
what a loss

Bad for the US.
But good for Nones and possibly (not necessarily) atheism too. If churches turn into soapboxes, the natural tendency of the young to find adults (in this case priests) to be "fakes" will be interestingly intensified.

Just an eensy weensy tiny little silver lining there.

just means they have to indoctrinate at younger ages
I imagine we are witnessing a transition to theocracy
only difference is hebrew not arabic

Back
Top Bottom