• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Energy-Supply Conspiracy Theories

lpetrich

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
 Free energy suppression conspiracy theory -- It's the theory that some cheap or free, clean, and feasible energy sources are being suppressed by various conspirators. Sources like
  • Renewable-energy technologies
  • Cold fusion
  • Perpetual motion machines
  • Zero-point energy
  • Reverse-engineered or donated extraterrestrial technology
  • Other weird sources
There is actually some evidence for the first one:
Attacks on State Renewable Energy Policy by Fossil Fuel Interests 2013-2014 - Energy and Policy Institute
Fossil fuel firms accused of renewable lobby takeover to push gas | Environment | The Guardian

However, wind and solar and other such sources are gradually becoming economically competitive with fossil fuels. The continued growth of their use will likely continue creating economies of scale, thus making them undersell fossil fuels.

The rest of them are doubtful at best.

I confess I find the last one rather amusing. It's a proposed reason for covering up the truth about UFO's. Extraterrestrial energy technologies would put the fossil-fuel industry out of business and cause lots of economic disruption, according to that conspiracy theory.

In 1958, UFOlogist  Desmond Leslie wrote a novel that featured this conspiracy theory, "The Amazing Mr Lutterworth", a novel that he claimed was 75% nonfiction (The Amazing Mr Lutterworth (George Adamski)). It's hard to find, but I found a copy at scribd.com -- I signed up for a day and I downloaded everything that I could find that I might be interested in.

In it, the titular character suffers an accident in an ocean liner as he crosses from Britain to the United States, one that makes him lose his memory. He finds that he has 78 mysterious crystals, and he spends the rest of the novel finding out what he is supposed to do with them. On the way, an oil-company executive offers a large sum of money for them, but he declines. He also goes to southern California, where he meets someone modeled after UFO contactee and Desmond-Leslie friend George Adamski.

In the end, he gets his memory back and he appears before the United Nations General Assembly, distributing the crystals to all the delegates there. It is for a super energy source:
This power, I tell them, shall change the face of the Earth. No more shall small groups, nor even single men, be able to rule multitudes through hunger in their bellies; for there shall no more be hunger nor want nor cold; and in time again there shall be no more disease, for as man learns to live in harmony with nature, instead of continually struggling against it, he will destroy the cause of disease.

Back
Top Bottom