• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Politics Everyone is toxic (ROP review)

DrZoidberg

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
I've tried to find a review of Rings of Power. I like Lord of the Rings, and fantasy in general. But The Rings of Power isn't based on Silmarillion (which they don't have the rights to). It's based on footnotes in LOTR. Which is super odd. But anyway... it takes the pressure off them to be super strict with the source material. It's going to have to be a modern re-interpretation. And they will need to make lots of stuff up. I'm totally cool with that. I'm not a purist. I understand that a movie and a book are different types of media, and simply from a story telling perspective the films will be different from the books... well... footnotes in the book. I also don't see copyrights as sacred. People should be allowed to re-interpret other people's universes as they want.

That was a long way of saying that I will wait with watching this until I have seen a review that recommends it.

That's when my problems start. I can't find a review of this that isn't either pro-woke or anti-woke. The blackness of a character (the dwarf princess Disa) has all the attention. Based on what I've read Disa is a non-canonical character. She can look and be anyway they creators want. I don't understand how it's even possible to get hung up on that, even if you hate woke? Tolkien's works are chock full of one line references to vaguely described places, people and tribes that never come up again.

Woke reviews seem completely obsessed with the anti-wokes. As if the only thing that matters for a show is how much minorities are represented. I can't find a single review that isn't politicized somehow.

Do you know of a good Rings of Power review that only focuses on the actual content of the TV series? And not all the irrelevant shit. If you do, please share it.

Thanks.

edit: Oh, yeah.. I want actual reviews. Not obvious paid ads dressed up as reviews. I have no problems finding those.

Last edited:
Sorry, 100% of my exposure is from the BAWWWing anti-woke circle jerk on which Sargon of Akkad was the pivot man, after which they called out a professional troll, pissing into the proverbial windstorm as it were.

If you want anyone to blame for this complete and utter tosh around the reviews, start there.

If you want to actually know how the media is, just fucking watch it.

If you don't want to keep watching it.... Then quit watching it.

Sorry, 100% of my exposure is from the BAWWWing anti-woke circle jerk on which Sargon of Akkad was the pivot man, after which they called out a professional troll, pissing into the proverbial windstorm as it were.

If you want anyone to blame for this complete and utter tosh around the reviews, start there.

I don't want to blame anyone, I want tools to navigate this new polarised and toxic media landscape.

Surely there must still be reviewers out there whose main focus is the quality of the writing and the cinematic qualities?

I want to find them. Not just for the Rings of Power, but for any and all media. I focused on Rings of Power to make this conversation specific

Try searching on rings of power critical review.

There are professional critics who appear on TV amd radio who talk about these hows.

Critics used to be published in paper, I imagine there are online sights that have replaced all the old review rags.

It's a title. It's a catchy phrase to get people to click on the thread to read the first post. It's not an all encompassing description of what's inside
So it's a misleading title. The title sets the topic and tone. The title here sets a topic and tone specifically of accusatory toxicity.

It's a title. It's a catchy phrase to get people to click on the thread to read the first post. It's not an all encompassing description of what's inside
So it's a misleading title. The title sets the topic and tone. The title here sets a topic and tone specifically of accusatory toxicity.
"It seems like all the media reviewers out there of the Rings of Power are toxic, please help me find one that isn't" is a bit unwieldy as a title.

"It seems like all the media reviewers out there of the Rings of Power are toxic, please help me find one that isn't" is a bit unwieldy as a title.
So instead of "unwieldy" you went with "accusatory". And instead of getting a specific answer, you got the results of "accusatory".

If you dislike such bullshit, have a conversation with your friends about how trashing a piece of media just because they cast some PoC in it doesn't help anyone.

So instead of "unwieldy" you went with "accusatory". And instead of getting a specific answer, you got the results of "accusatory".

If you dislike such bullshit, have a conversation with your friends about how trashing a piece of media just because they cast some PoC in it doesn't help anyone.
What? I don't think you read the OP. Is it perhaps so that you only read the title? Be honest now.

What? I don't think you read the OP. Is it perhaps so that you only read the title? Be honest now.
Topics are about the title as much or more than they are about the content of the OP. While I read your whinge accusing everyone of being too toxic for your ability to read a review, this is essentially a whinge that you can't have nice things because folks are being toxic. Ask yourself the whole structure of this and answer honestly: where did all this toxicity come from?

It didn't come from most people. It didn't even come from "woke" people. It all came from Sargon of Akkad going on several anti-woke tirades because they were incensed over a dwarf having black skin.

In your attempt to kick up a tempest in a teapot, all you managed to do was hilight how at the heart of all these times where this woke/anti-woke bullshit ruins your day, it's consistently because the Karens moaned like stick pigs over there being black people in something.

It is a manufactured controversy. Hence why I get back to my original point:

Do you know of a good Rings of Power review that only focuses on the actual content of the TV series? And not all the irrelevant shit. If you do, please share it.

Thanks.
I don't understand why you find this difficult.

I'm a Tolkien fan, but not a TV watcher. So I don't care much. But I saw a thread on another forum where people were discussing it. Different opinions, but very civil. One member posted an excerpt and link to a review in America magazine, which was quite good.

I can understand why the subject brings out the worst on the internet. Tolkien's work is drenched in classism, sexism, and racism. But the TV show isn't Tolkien's work. It's modern stories for modern people, loosely based on a bit of Tolkien.

Yeah, that'll get people worked up. But not most people, because most people recognize the difference between 1950s cultural norms and 2022.

I don't think it's hard to find what you say you're looking for.
Tom

I have watched every episode to date. I didn't really notice the ethnicity of the characters. But I think there are too many story lines and characters packed into each episode so that it is distracting to jump around each thread. I realize the threads will eventually come together, but I think it is annoying and distracting.

I agree with this review. Big fan of the movies and the books, was looking forward to this, wanted it to be good, but it's not. It's got all the visual, setting and character accoutrements you'd want in any Tolkienish adaptation, but they forgot to include any of the entertainment. There's nothing fun in it. Scenes just move from one argument to another. Reminds me of how the Star Wars prequels compared to the originals.

There is supposed to be supposed to be five seasons of this show, ugh.

Much the same can be said about the House of the Dragon. But I hate that one even more because of its absurd level of gratuitous, unreal violence. Some scenes are just disgusting to watch. Fucking sickos.

Here's another example of toxic fandom.

The Woman King. This guy is a history nerd and his job is to rip apart films set in a historical time but then unnecessarily lie about history, for no reason at all. Since the real history is actually interesting, as well as true. Which is something I care about. I couldn't bring myself to keep watching the TV series Vikings after the first season because of all the (pointlessly inserted) gross historical inaccuracies.

But he's also a part of the problem. I'm not against the Vikings. I'd never post an angry review on IMDB screaming about how they've raped my heritage. They have... but I'm cool with it. I can just stop watching it.

If people like the idea of black slavers, very much, the enemy of freedom and women's rights, being portrayed as classic good guys fighting racial oppression and for women's rights and want to watch films and TV series based on it... go nuts guys. Enjoy yourselves. I won't watch it. I detest any kind of revisionist history and white washing.

My general attitude is that the more films and TV the better. Someone coming out with a TV series in no way stops anyone else from doing so. Except when Ridley Scot came out with Prometheus killing Guillermo del Toro's Mountains of Madness, since it's the same story with all the same twists in it. But I digress. I'm sure Mountains of Madness will come sooner or later. It's too cool of a movie not to.

Back
Top Bottom