• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Excel macro error

Brian63

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Freethinker/atheist/humanist
For my new job I am trying to create an Excel macro. Macros are something I am new to, but this should be a very simple one. I want to apply it to the “Personal Macro Workbook” so it functions every time I open up any Excel file. The macro steps would involve simply selecting several columns on the sheet which are extraneous for my job, hiding those, and then selecting cell A1 as the active cell. Then stop recording.

However, when I attempt to do so I get an error message. The following webpage illustrates correctly most of what happens:

https://www.excelvbasolutions.com/2021/03/personal-macro-workbook-in-startup.html

Near the bottom of that page I get a different result from what that page displays. Instead of having an option of “Addin: personal.xlsb” I get a message of “There are no disabled items.”. I am stuck.

So I am unable to create this macro at all. Can anyone help a tech-unsavvy person resolve this?

Thanks.

An IT nerd at work researched and believes he needs to give me special permission to have such a folder...errr...something like that. We are awaiting my manager's approval before making changes to my permissions/computer settings though.

I periodically run into write permission problems with technical apps I use. I get can ot access a file or unable to open a file for writing errors.

Running the app as administrator often fixes the problem, I can do that as I own the PC. Sometimes I have to figure out which folder is causing a problem.

Windows is a complicated mess.

I would think you would not have a problem with Excel on your local PC user account.

I periodically run into write permission problems with technical apps I use. I get can ot access a file or unable to open a file for writing errors.

Running the app as administrator often fixes the problem, I can do that as I own the PC. Sometimes I have to figure out which folder is causing a problem.

Windows is a complicated mess.

I would think you would not have a problem with Excel on your local PC user account.
Yes and no, the Personal workbook is likely in an area IT doesn't want employees screwing around in.

My manager currently is on vacation for the remainder of this week, and it will be a long while before she gets caught up on emails and such. Even while that is going on, this would be a low priority for her, but a minor helpful convenience for me. So there is no rush to get it done, if it were to be done. Still, she may be very wary of any employees having special permissions to create macros of their own.

I had a couple other ideas for the IT dude to consider. One would be to temporarily allow me to have those added permissions. So I could create that particular macro and then he would have the ability to remove my ability to create new macros after that (actually, I have a total of 2 macros in mind...the other would be to later UNHIDE those columns that previously were hidden, which is something we are required to do manually). Would that delete all macros from my Personal account though, or only remove the ability to add new macros? The former I want to avoid as it would defeat the purpose. The latter is fine.

The second idea would be for IT folks themselves to create the macros and then put them in each of our Personal Excel accounts (my coworkers would benefit from these as well).

I did not have any other ideas, but asked if he might have. No response yet from him. Any from anyone here?

Last edited:
I'd say just ask for write access to the C:\Users\*user name*\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Excel\XLStart folder, and leave it at that, I assume that is the location of Personal.xlsm. All the other folders, not an issue.

Until then, just save macros in a standalone file.

We use Excel spreadsheets that are constantly new and changing and the macros would apply to all of them, so it would not apply to a single standalone file. That is why it would only be useful if it could apply to all past, present, and future workbooks.

Excel should be nuked from orbit.

When spreadsheets get fancy like this they cause trouble. Excel is a road into quicksand.

Excel should be nuked from orbit.

When spreadsheets get fancy like this they cause trouble. Excel is a road into quicksand.
That's nice. Excel isn't Quattro Pro, but VBA is extraordinarily powerful and much quicker to develop.

You can save a macro in a workbook you use just to save your custom functions and macros, and then reference them in any other workbook. It is less elegant than just having them automatically extended into any workbook you open, like you are trying to do, but it will work.

In the particular instance for my job, it would only be worthwhile to have a macro that automatically extended across workbooks. It is difficult to understand though unless you knew more about the job and the role of the macro.

Back
Top Bottom